President Trump supports prison reform

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Crime imposes a significant burden on Americans' well-being and taxpayer-financed resources. These costs are amplified by re-arrest rates for released American prisoners that exceed 50 percent. Many programs have been tried to reverse this trend over the past few decades. Some of them work; some don't.

President Donald J. Trump supports prison reform legislation that builds on evidence-based programs to reduce prisoner recidivism rates. The President has called on Congress to help former inmates who have completed their sentences to have a second chance to become contributing members of society.

The White House hosted a summit on prisons last week. "Prison reform is an issue that unites people from across the political spectrum," President Trump said. "It's an amazing thing. Our whole nation benefits if former inmates are able to reenter society as productive, law-abiding citizens."

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...ative-action-reduce-recidivism-prison-system/

Ooh! Daddy! Daddy! Pick me!! :howdy: I can reduce that recidivism rate in about 2 seconds!! :cartwheel:

Violent criminals and crimes against children should be punished by death. (And take out their ####bag lawyer while we're at it. Any lawyer who would defend a child killer or rapist should get the chair him/herself.)

There should be a real three-strikes law, where you get the needle on your third violent offense.

The progs bitch and cry about prison overcrowding, but there are an awful lot of people in prisons who don't belong there - they belong in an incinerator. Some dumb guy goes to jail for theft or some other NV, and gets tossed in with pure psychopaths - yeah, that makes sense. They release these freaking thugs who go right back to their 'hood and terrorize the law abiding people who live there - brilliant!!

If you can't seem to walk out of your home without raping, murdering, or beating someone, you don't belong in our society period. Strap 'em to the chair. Make all gone with the rabid humans.

MiddleGround

Violent criminals and crimes against children should be punished by death. (And take out their ####bag lawyer while we're at it. Any lawyer who would defend a child killer or rapist should get the chair him/herself.)

I'll agree with this as soon as you get your law degree and start working as a Public Defender for the county/state :yay:

black dog

Free America
One that lives with me did family law for quite a few years...let's see where this thread goes.

f8118e838b3a19cef68ca3ee1523c844--great-memes--memes.jpg

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
start working as a Public Defender for the county/state :yay:

I can tell you right now that will never happen. When I was a yoot I explored our legal system as a potential education and career path when I graduated high school. One semester interning for a local defense lawyer, and spending countless hours in a courtroom watching the antics cured me of that. If anything I would be prosecution, NOT defense.

PsyOps

Pixelated

You mean violent criminals against children don't deserve to be tried and judged?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You mean violent criminals against children don't deserve to be tried and judged?

Please point out where I said that. Or let me know if you're just looking for an argument so I can put you on Ignore for the day.

Are you trying to say that defense lawyers don't know whether or not their client is likely guilty or innocent? Because I can assure you that they most certainly do.

black dog

Free America
Crime imposes a significant burden on Americans' well-being and taxpayer-financed resources. These costs are amplified by re-arrest rates for released American prisoners that exceed 50 percent. Many programs have been tried to reverse this trend over the past few decades. Some of them work; some don't.

President Donald J. Trump supports prison reform legislation that builds on evidence-based programs to reduce prisoner recidivism rates. The President has called on Congress to help former inmates who have completed their sentences to have a second chance to become contributing members of society.

The White House hosted a summit on prisons last week. "Prison reform is an issue that unites people from across the political spectrum," President Trump said. "It's an amazing thing. Our whole nation benefits if former inmates are able to reenter society as productive, law-abiding citizens."

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...ative-action-reduce-recidivism-prison-system/

Ooh! Daddy! Daddy! Pick me!! :howdy: I can reduce that recidivism rate in about 2 seconds!! :cartwheel:

There should be a real three-strikes law, where you get the needle on your third violent offense.

The progs bitch and cry about prison overcrowding, but there are an awful lot of people in prisons who don't belong there - they belong in an incinerator. Some dumb guy goes to jail for theft or some other NV, and gets tossed in with pure psychopaths - yeah, that makes sense. They release these freaking thugs who go right back to their 'hood and terrorize the law abiding people who live there - brilliant!!

If you can't seem to walk out of your home without raping, murdering, or beating someone, you don't belong in our society period. Strap 'em to the chair. Make all gone with the rabid humans.

So all defense and states attorneys dead how without representation how do they receive a fair trial

black dog

Free America
Please point out where I said that. Or let me know if you're just looking for an argument so I can put you on Ignore for the day.

Are you trying to say that defense lawyers don't know whether or not their client is likely guilty or innocent? Because I can assure you that they most certainly do.

And you know that how? With your years as a defense attorney?

awpitt

Main Streeter

I partially agree with your feelings here. As the Constitution guarantees a trial and representation. I mean, would you support an Amendment that would repeal those guarantees?

GURPS started another thread that shows an example of why defendants need representation and a fair trial.

http://forums.somd.com/threads/329746-Dirty-Detective

Last edited:

SamSpade

The problem with your solution is - that won't significantly reduce the prison population.
Another one that won't seriously change the prison population is immediate release of drug offenders whose most egregious offense is merely drug use.

Yeah. See, people like to cite that almost half the prison population is guilty of a drug offense - but it's not the ONLY offense.
The percent that is in there just for drugs is about a sixth - it's a lot, but when your nation has the highest prison population
in the world and including juvenile - highest incarceration RATE in the world.

The problem with the three strikes law is timing - most men who commit crimes pretty much stop by the time they reach their 30's.
But if they've been incarcerated twice before - if they're in their 30's or 40's - the likelihood they'll get a "fourth" strike drops almost to zero.
The most violent offenders are kids and young men from 18 to 30.

I'm not saying automatic mercy for a three time offender - what I'm saying is, it's like giving life sentence to a guy in his 80's.
What is the point?

If there's a way to prevent a violent offender from making a *second* offense, THAT would be the solution.
Why should anyone benefit from even having TWO strikes? This reminds me of what I do with my kids when they're being surly.
When they were little, counting to five meant no action until FOUR.

I tell them there will be NO counting the next time - I will show up and rain down wrath without warning.
We should try that.

transporter

Two obvious points:

1. You didn't read the points our incompetent President made.

2. You REALLY don't have the first clue about how our govt or society works do you?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
"Don't put words in my mouth!"

Immediately puts words in others' mouth. :lol:

Actually, I asked a question. See that "?" That's called a "question mark". Indicates a "question". Something you ask for information or clarification purposes. :yay:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So all defense and states attorneys dead how without representation how do they receive a fair trial

Defense lawyers and state's attorneys will just have to be more selective and judicious about which cases they take. If they know damn good and well their client did indeed commit the crime in question, they shouldn't take the case. How can someone live with themselves if they help get a lenient sentence or complete exoneration of a child rapist, who then goes on to prey on other children?

Or, how about this? If the ####bag in question goes on to commit another similar crime, the defense lawyer AND the judge/jury who either let him go or handed down the spanky ALL get the needle. I'll bet you'd see an abrupt end to all these criminal rights that are somehow more important than the victim's rights.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
GURPS started another thread that shows an example of why defendants need representation and a fair trial.

"Fair" and "skewed in favor of the defendant" are two different things. I think we go way too far in this country in trying to prove the innocence of accused criminals, especially ones who are multiple offenders. That Yates woman who killed all her kids? I'd have strapped her to the chair in a second. "Not guilty by reason of insanity" - whose freaking bright idea was that??

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
it's like giving life sentence to a guy in his 80's.

That's another thing I'd change. No more "life sentences". Anyone who is a big enough ####bag that they need to be caged for the rest of their life, they should just be put to death. I have never understood the point of the "life sentence".

I tell them there will be NO counting the next time - I will show up and rain down wrath without warning.
We should try that.

I'd go for that. :yay: (Before one of my fans jumps in with some silliness, no, I am not advocating that surly children be strapped to the chair. Mostly.)