Just Raise the Grades

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
One professor at the University of Akron in Ohio seems to have cracked the code. Noticing that not all of the female students were performing at the same level on standardized testing as their male counterparts, professor Liping Liu quickly found a way to ensure that the young ladies would be heading for the employment market on equal footing with the guys. Read on to find out how this miracle took place. (New York Post, emphasis added)

University of Akron officials this week blocked a professor from carrying out his plan to raise female students’ grades as part of what he called a “national movement to encourage female students to go to information sciences.”

According to school officials, Liping Liu, an information systems analysis and design teacher who has worked at the university since 2001, said in an email to students:

“FYI, your grade has been sent to the university registrar. The following categories of students may see their grades raised one level or two: Female students (it is a national movement to encourage female students to go to information sciences).”

Who knew it was this simple? We’ve been having this massive debate over how to enroll more young women in technical career tracks, ensure they have the resources they need and stamp out any potential gender discrimination in hiring and setting wages. But all we needed to do was just bump all the girls’ scores up to Dean’s List levels and the problem would sort itself out. This guy is a genius.

https://hotair.com/archives/2018/05/20/fighting-womens-rights-goes-oh-wrong/

SamSpade

One professor at the University of Akron in Ohio seems to have cracked the code.

I went to an engineering school back in the 70's. One of the most talked about subjects on campus was: The Ratio.

As in, the ratio of men to women. When I was there, it was around 7 to 1, but it had been worse.
One year, they tried something and brought it down to about 5 to 1 - they eased up on the entrance requirements -
SAT scores and grades. As a result, they had more women, and had to adjust housing for more women's dorms.

Unfortunately - the FIRST semester saw a HUGE failure rate for incoming freshman women - such that by the end of that
year - The Ratio was oddly enough close to where it had been the year before.

The solution to the problem was NOT just getting more women on campus - the solution was getting more women
who MET the requirements to apply to that school. They could do THAT with more aggressive recruiting and more scholarships.
But changing admissions didn't cost anything.

If you want more women in engineering, sciences and computers, you have to start younger and find a way to make it
interesting. When I switched to a university from the engineering school - I found other technical areas where women did
NOT lose interest - especially math but also chemistry and the biological sciences. It was still true that my engineering classes
were still mostly male, and some of them entirely male.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Women who want to enter that field certainly can, and there's nothing stopping them. The "problem" is that large numbers of women don't want to. Every year a #### ton of graduating girls go into cosmetology; a rare few go on to a STEM education and career. It's not that women "can't" meet the requirement; it's that they mostly don't want to.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Women who want to enter that field certainly can, and there's nothing stopping them. The "problem" is that large numbers of women don't want to. Every year a #### ton of graduating girls go into cosmetology; a rare few go on to a STEM education and career. It's not that women "can't" meet the requirement; it's that they mostly don't want to.

Speaking for myself, I do NOT have a STEM wired brain. I'd fail miserably if I even considered going that route.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Speaking for myself, I do NOT have a STEM wired brain. I'd fail miserably if I even considered going that route.

Same here. I'm interested in "people sciences", not "stuff sciences". The only time STEM makes sense to me is as it pertains to humans and their behavior.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
IMHO a majority of women, just are not interested in Sciences .... and no amount of Progressive Social Engineering is going to get more women in STEM Classes

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Same here. I'm interested in "people sciences", not "stuff sciences". The only time STEM makes sense to me is as it pertains to humans and their behavior.
:yay: My father made me take a drafting class when I was in 8th grade. I failed. He couldn't understand why. He was an engineer. :lol:
IMHO a majority of women, just are not interested in Sciences .... and no amount of Progressive Social Engineering is going to get more women in STEM Classes
When I was coming up, it wasn't "cool" for girls to like science, math, etc. I wonder how true that remains today.

SamSpade

And I do actually think that most men and women have these differences - some of it biological, some of it brain chemistry.
For instance - women have more rods and cones in their eyes than men do. They see more colors and distinguish between them far better than men do.
Men's eyes are faster at detecting motion and at judging distances.
And that's just eyes. But those traits alone can account for why women are better at some things and men are better at others.

Most women - at least, the ones I know - are better at interpreting body language and social cues than men.
So women are often better at detecting lies - from body language. Men tend to rely on experience.
Women do too, but men hone this skill because it's their sole source.

I do think that women are better equipped to work with "people sciences". I'm amazed how I can spend time with my male friends - but my wife STILL knows more about what's going on in their life than *I* do. I think men have some kind of intuition when it comes to *things*. I can mentally race through a ton of options when solving a problem and usually arrive at the right one much faster than the women in my life.

But I do think that in many ways, the "hard" sciences can be made more appealing to women.
Boys are very visual - and hard sciences are taught that way.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
When I was coming up, it wasn't "cool" for girls to like science, math, etc. I wonder how true that remains today.

side stepping for a moment .... I understand your comment

my 13 yr old is an avid computer user / gamer
- not fluffy face book games or my little pony, but shooters like her brothers and I
- creating things in the game environment for her friends - like Mindcraft but more advanced ...
- says she wants to be a video game animator
90 % her classmates want to talk about stuff on TV and clothes - kardashians and the like

- she just walks way shaking her head ... I don't have time for that crap [yeah she is a tom boy]

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
side stepping for a moment .... I understand your comment

my 13 yr old is an avid computer user / gamer
- not fluffy face book games or my little pony, but shooters like her brothers and I
- creating things in the game environment for her friends - like Mindcraft but more advanced ...
- says she wants to be a video game animator
90 % her classmates want to talk about stuff on TV and clothes - kardashians and the like

- she just walks way shaking her head ... I don't have time for that crap [yeah she is a tom boy]

More power to her! :yay:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

See, and in my school it was cool to be smart, wonky even, and the smart girls were popular. All of our Homecoming and Prom Queens had big brains and took advanced classes, definitely college bound.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm amazed how I can spend time with my male friends - but my wife STILL knows more about what's going on in their life than *I* do.

I think that's mainly because women ask more questions and pay attention when people talk. Monello is occasionally amazed when I know more about his family than he does, but that's only because...I ask. If he asked, he would know these things too.

I think that's another difference between men and women: we're more interested in what's going on with people, and we'll either draw them out or ask what we want to know outright.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
See, and in my school it was cool to be smart, wonky even, and the smart girls were popular. All of our Homecoming and Prom Queens had big brains and took advanced classes, definitely college bound.

I never went to any HS dances. It was just an excuse to get out of the house to hang with my friends. :lol:

:yay: My father made me take a drafting class when I was in 8th grade. I failed. He couldn't understand why. He was an engineer. :lol:

I took mechanical drafting in my junior year too. I still use that skill. Some of it has translated to computer aided drafting, but I still use a pencil and ruler quite often.

And as a side note, my SIL went to a class reunion at my high school, and she met my drafting teacher! He remembered me..... not sure that's a good thing tho... :ohwell:

SamSpade

I think that's mainly because women ask more questions and pay attention when people talk. Monello is occasionally amazed when I know more about his family than he does, but that's only because...I ask. If he asked, he would know these things too.

I think that's another difference between men and women: we're more interested in what's going on with people, and we'll either draw them out or ask what we want to know outright.

I have to admit - that's true. I typically don't care if my friends have anything going on in their life, at least, socially.
At least, it's not something I'm likely to ask, and most of the time, it's not something they're likely to answer - to ME.
I might know my best friend's work hours, but I might not know he hates his job. Stuff like that.

Men have their strengths - my Dad was always my personal hero.
I knew he always did the hard stuff even if it was at a big personal cost.
I saw that he always was able to make my mom feel special.
And he never said a bad word about her - or allowed others to say it.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I took mechanical drafting in my junior year too. I still use that skill. Some of it has translated to computer aided drafting, but I still use a pencil and ruler quite often.

And as a side note, my SIL went to a class reunion at my high school, and she met my drafting teacher! He remembered me..... not sure that's a good thing tho... :ohwell:

Good for you. NONE of it stuck with me. :lol: