I'm Back from Vacay!

luvmygdaughters

:howdy: Got back on Wednesday from 7 days in Cancun. The resort was gorgeous, the beach beautiful, the food was so-so, which I expected with an all inclusive, with the exception of 1 specialty restaurant. The people and employees were very friendly and constantly cleaning the resort. Overall a pretty good vacay...but...it seems I have brought home an unwanted souvenir.:dead: Finally on the mend and feeling a little better today.

MR47930

Was safety ever a concern? I'm trying to convince the wife to go but hearing all the crazy stuff on the news has her scared.

1stGenSMIB

Never been to Cancun, but we recently did an all inclusive in Cozumel, and safety was never a concern there. We were off the mainland though, so a little more isolated from the issues we've all seen on the news. Downtown Cozumel is of course a tourist trap, with 5 or 6 or 7 cruise ships parked there at any time, plus a more than once per day ferry running. But, worth the ride in to at least walk the streets and have a cerveza or maybe lunch. Get a few blocks in and the whole world changes. My spanish is almost non-existent, but was able to find a pharmacy and get more sunscreen away from the tourist areas & tourist prices. Cozumel is known for its diving, and there are lots of trips/boats diving on the reefs all day long. We snorkeled along the coast while our certified dive friends went diving almost every day. Had the same experience as lmd with the resort condition and staff..always doing maintenance, cleaning, very friendly, etc.
We chatted with the local taxi drivers while riding to/from the airport, to/from town, etc..it seems the locals all love the cruise ships..~20-25,000 people per day visit, spend their money, but none of them stay long enough to stink up the joint.

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Was safety ever a concern? I'm trying to convince the wife to go but hearing all the crazy stuff on the news has her scared.

Group of buddies recently took 10 days to drive and camp nearly the length of the Baja peninsula and had a blast..no bad incidents at all.

luvmygdaughters

Ooh, where'd you stay? Did you hang at the resort or go into "town"?

We stayed at the Riu Las Americas, beautiful, adults only resort. We were going to do the whole Chichen Itza thing...but after talking to the locals and hearing about how hot it was, we decided to stay on the resort. We did go to some local shops and restaurants close by. Gorgeous beach, water was very calm, no pounding surf. Soft sand and 3 pools. The resort has 5 specialty restaurants and the standard buffet fare. My favorite was the Krystal, its a Japanese fusion restaurant. First time I ever tried squash and goat cheese soup...:drool: it was to die for and believe it or not...one of the best tenderloins I've had. The resort was immaculate, they are always cleaning, polishing, sweeping, waxing. It was really a great vacay.

luvmygdaughters

Beach 2.jpg Beach 1.jpg Pool 2.jpg Pool.jpg

awpitt

Main Streeter
We stayed at the Riu Las Americas, beautiful, adults only resort. We were going to do the whole Chichen Itza thing...but after talking to the locals and hearing about how hot it was, we decided to stay on the resort. We did go to some local shops and restaurants close by. Gorgeous beach, water was very calm, no pounding surf. Soft sand and 3 pools. The resort has 5 specialty restaurants and the standard buffet fare. My favorite was the Krystal, its a Japanese fusion restaurant. First time I ever tried squash and goat cheese soup...:drool: it was to die for and believe it or not...one of the best tenderloins I've had. The resort was immaculate, they are always cleaning, polishing, sweeping, waxing. It was really a great vacay.

Awesome! I've been to Cancun five times. Always stay at the Westin Lagunamar which is across the street from the La Isla shopping mall.

singlechen

The all-inclusive experience really is worth the extra money. Being able to relax, order what you want whenever you want it, and not get nickel and dimed while you are doing it is a great feeling

awpitt

Main Streeter
The all-inclusive experience really is worth the extra money. Being able to relax, order what you want whenever you want it, and not get nickel and dimed while you are doing it is a great feeling

It depends on the destination. I always do all-inclusive in the D.R. I never do it in Cancun.