Summa Cum Laude

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
South Carolina grocery store censors 'Summa Cum Laude' on graduation cake, family says

A South Carolina grocery store censored the words "Summa Cum Laude" on a cake that was requested for a home-school graduate, a woman claimed Monday.

Cara Koscinski’s son Jacob graduated from a Christian-based home-school program Saturday, but when she decided to order a cake through the Publix website she was told that profane language was prohibited, WCIV-TV reported. She said she clarified her order with special instructions.

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2...cum-laude-on-graduation-cake-family-says.html

:roflmao:

Actually, it's kind of sad. Uneducated.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Think about that. Publix bakery isn't a single person operation - there are several workers in there, not to mention various managers. That means none of them knew what "summa cum laude" was.

And Publix is a good job, too. Benefits, advancement, this is not some dummy factory we're talking about.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Think about that. Publix bakery isn't a single person operation - there are several workers in there, not to mention various managers. That means none of them knew what "summa cum laude" was.

And Publix is a good job, too. Benefits, advancement, this is not some dummy factory we're talking about.

My point exactly. Not one of them took the initiative to actually Google the phrase to find out what it meant. Just jumped to conclusions.

Freefaller

If her son was "totally humiliated" by this, I hope he grows a pair before going off to college. It appears he is well on his way to being a snowflake! Just eat the cake and go on with your life.

transporter

Wow...did you read the article?

The cake order was entered online, not in person. The online application refused the "cum" in Summa Cum Laude and entered 3 dashes. The order read "Summa --- Laude".

What mom should have done was get off the couch and go order the cake in person. Entering info in the "special request" section rarely works anywhere.

The size of Publix is the reason for the issue...because they have an online ordering system.

The quality of Publix employment has nothing to do with the online order entry system.

Chris0nllyn

Wow...did you read the article?

The cake order was entered online, not in person. The online application refused the "cum" in Summa Cum Laude and entered 3 dashes. The order read "Summa --- Laude".

What mom should have done was get off the couch and go order the cake in person. Entering info in the "special request" section rarely works anywhere.

The size of Publix is the reason for the issue...because they have an online ordering system.

The quality of Publix employment has nothing to do with the online order entry system.

No. A number of businesses in this day and age of technical advancements are able to maintain, successfully, an online ordering process. Including Publix as evidenced by them oputting on the cake exactly what she includedin the online ordering form, minus what the actual piper decided to personally not put on the cake.

The only thing remotely the mother's fault (outside of whining to the media about it) is having someone else pick up the cake. Of course, she rightfully assumed these people were capable of understanding that it's (A), graduation "season", and (B) a common latin phrase associated with said graduation.

What a bunch of ----amamie nonsense.

Fixed it for you.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
(outside of whining to the media about it)

I wonder if she actually contact the media or if she posted it on social media and the press picked it up. You see a lot of times the media scans FB or Twitter to "find" a "story" - because apparently they have nothing better to do - that might amuse readers/viewers.

I can see me doing that if this happened to me, posting it on here or on my FB. What I can't see is me calling the Emptyprize to alert the press.

Chris0nllyn

I wonder if she actually contact the media or if she posted it on social media and the press picked it up. You see a lot of times the media scans FB or Twitter to "find" a "story" - because apparently they have nothing better to do - that might amuse readers/viewers.

I can see me doing that if this happened to me, posting it on here or on my FB. What I can't see is me calling the Emptyprize to alert the press.

Very true. She didn't have to contact the media for them to run the story, but she did give them comments.

PeoplesElbow

If her son was "totally humiliated" by this, I hope he grows a pair before going off to college. It appears he is well on his way to being a snowflake! Just eat the cake and go on with your life.

As someone that was a teaching assistant in college, I have to say that home schooled kids were the worst. Most acted like they were still 12 year old and could not take criticism on their work.