Traffic Rant Road constrction By Harris Teeter/235 & Rt 4

Justme2

So how many more months and accidents are going to happen before they fix the road? Are then putting a media strip are they putting in sewer I see signs of both. What is going on with blocking off lanes on 235 for this?

ANYBODY GOT A CLUE? :eyebrow:

glhs837

Power with Control
So how many more months and accidents are going to happen before they fix the road? Are then putting a media strip are they putting in sewer I see signs of both. What is going on with blocking off lanes on 235 for this?

ANYBODY GOT A CLUE? :eyebrow:

How many acidents are being caused by the construction? AS opposed to being caused by idiots?

terbear1225

How many acidents are being caused by the construction? AS opposed to being caused by idiots?

I can't speak to accidents but there are some serious traffic issues that are a direct result of the construction, or rather the demolition as I have yet to see any progress towards constructing anything.

MiddleGround

Same thing with the "project" going on at Airport Rd.

The new Dollar Store in Hollywood has been designed, surveyed, land cleared, plumbed, constructed, finalized, and store opened for at least 2 weeks. ALL of that has happen AFTER they started work at Airport Road. Maybe the same management is in charge of whatever is going on at 235/St. Andrews

frequentflier

happy to be living
I went to BJ's today and was there last week as well and I do wish they would finish that area. Grateful I don't have to go there (or over the bridge, for that matter) every day.
My closest near accident was wanting to slam on my brakes to the GMC Envoy nimrod tail gaiting me from Solomons to Three Notch Road. I had two car lengths in front of me all the way and couldn't have gone any faster if I wanted to. The person is lucky I love my car as much as I do...

glhs837

Power with Control
I can't speak to accidents but there are some serious traffic issues that are a direct result of the construction, or rather the demolition as I have yet to see any progress towards constructing anything.

Agree, there are issues. As to no visible progress, that can be tricky. Could be permits, sightings of the ol "eastern narrowmouth spotted owl" or some such. Could be there are things happening you cannot see, trenching or other utilitiy type stuff.

Potomac

They had to move a storm drain. I think that is done & now they are installing a median.
This has gone on too long & certainly been less than ideal, but it sure would help if people would just slow down a bit & be more cautious while things remain a mess. Is that too much to ask ?

BernieP

Resident PIA

LOL
ah, ok, not funny, if you've driven the road - or what passes as a road, even without another vehicle it would be easy to break an axle or a rim or worse.
I can sort of understand the closure of the second left hand turn lane on NB 235, but it really fxxks with traffic

But yes, idiots, misguided souls, whatever. I must continue to remind myself that technically only getting struck by lightning is an accident - i.e. an act of god.
What happens on the roadways is a collision.
Somebody failed to control their vehicle and came to an unplanned stop against another object.

But I agree, WHEN THE F are they going to do something besides leave a crater in the road.

In answer to the OP, I don;'t think anybody knows what's going on.

Your tax dollars at work

glhs837

Power with Control
LOL
ah, ok, not funny, if you've driven the road - or what passes as a road, even without another vehicle it would be easy to break an axle or a rim or worse.
I can sort of understand the closure of the second left hand turn lane on NB 235, but it really fxxks with traffic

But yes, idiots, misguided souls, whatever. I must continue to remind myself that technically only getting struck by lightning is an accident - i.e. an act of god.
What happens on the roadways is a collision.
Somebody failed to control their vehicle and came to an unplanned stop against another object.

But I agree, WHEN THE F are they going to do something besides leave a crater in the road.

In answer to the OP, I don;'t think anybody knows what's going on.

Your tax dollars at work

I have driven that road, in the wifes off road capable Jeep and in the daughters Fit, and in my 99 BMW convertible. Bumpy and crappy, yes, but if you break an wheel or axle on that, you have your car lowered like an 18yo kids Honda or you are going 60mph and not paying attention. I think you all are a bit spoiled. :) And again, are there any more or less collisions, crashes, mishaps, or whatever you want to call them? I say no, but maybe I'm wrong.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Grateful I don't have to go there (or over the bridge, for that matter) every day. ...

I don't know why anyone, in their right mind, would want to work in St. Mary's and choose to live across the bridge in Calvert. Putting a weak single point of failure between two places one has to travel between on a regular basis is not the brightest choice.

Hannibal

I don't know why anyone, in their right mind, would want to work in St. Mary's and choose to live across the bridge in Calvert. Putting a weak single point of failure between two places one has to travel between on a regular basis is not the brightest choice.

The delay in the work could be for numerous reasons (not the fault of the contractor). Now a days, everything is so regulated by environmental items, MDE and the local braches can dictate how work can progress - requiring sequence of construction steps that are reliant upon the establishment of grass simply to mitigate potential soil movement/wash. Sucks when you have to stop work to wait on grass to take hold before moving onto the next step.

It could be that there are seasonal restrictions which dictate when certain wet utilities can be worked. It could be that the County (or State) issued a contract with a tremendous amount of available float in the schedule so anytime the weather (or site) isn't pristine, the contractor is electing to work elsewhere.

My favorite is when the contractor gets stopped waiting on an existing utility to be relocated. It's usually either one of two things: 1) the contractor was unaware of the presence of the utility (due to inaccurate drawings) or 2) the contractor provided the utility company reasonable time to relocate and the utility company completely failed to hit that window.

Trust me, there isn't a contractor around who wants to have a project sit idle and delayed. It costs money each month in overhead just to maintain the contract. It costs money in field labor as most state requirements don't stop when the job is idle. There are still weekly SWPPP inspections, safety audits, etc. Contractors win jobs by providing the best value (usually lowest cost) and their plan was to build it as quickly as possible and go away.

Hannibal

I don't work in St. Mary's but I live in Calvert and drive into St. Mary's quite a bit during the week. I also have several friends who are Calvert residents and work in St. Mary's (Pax). I think some people weight too heavily on the few bad examples (bridge shutdown, accident, etc.). In reality, it happens infrequently. And when it does happen - the solution, albeit inconvenient isn't a life changing experience. If the bridge is going to be shutdown for an extended period of time, you drive across the Benedict Bridge.

There are pinch points all over the place. I drive Rt. 2 between Baltimore and PF daily. Overwhelmingly, the drive is fine (but long). Occasionally, an accident happens and you're stuck for a bit. Life happens.

Granted, should the bridge fail one day (or require a long time closure) - things will suck for some people for a bit. However, given my daily commute, it don't get overly sympathetic when someone's commute goes from 20-30 mins to 90.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Granted, should the bridge fail one day (or require a long time closure) - things will suck for some people for a bit. However, given my daily commute, it don't get overly sympathetic when someone's commute goes from 20-30 mins to 90.

Well, I was here during the "Crack of '88" and it wasn't "a bit". It was three months.

glhs837

Power with Control
Me, I couldnt even take commuting from Wildewood. It's two-3 minutes to the end of Park Hall Road, a 30 second to 1.5 minute wait there to get north, then two minutes on 235. Followed by 2-5 minutes into Gate 3.

Potomac

The delay in the work could be for numerous reasons (not the fault of the contractor). Now a days, everything is so regulated by environmental items, MDE and the local braches can dictate how work can progress - requiring sequence of construction steps that are reliant upon the establishment of grass simply to mitigate potential soil movement/wash. Sucks when you have to stop work to wait on grass to take hold before moving onto the next step.

It could be that there are seasonal restrictions which dictate when certain wet utilities can be worked. It could be that the County (or State) issued a contract with a tremendous amount of available float in the schedule so anytime the weather (or site) isn't pristine, the contractor is electing to work elsewhere.

My favorite is when the contractor gets stopped waiting on an existing utility to be relocated. It's usually either one of two things: 1) the contractor was unaware of the presence of the utility (due to inaccurate drawings) or 2) the contractor provided the utility company reasonable time to relocate and the utility company completely failed to hit that window.

Trust me, there isn't a contractor around who wants to have a project sit idle and delayed. It costs money each month in overhead just to maintain the contract. It costs money in field labor as most state requirements don't stop when the job is idle. There are still weekly SWPPP inspections, safety audits, etc. Contractors win jobs by providing the best value (usually lowest cost) and their plan was to build it as quickly as possible and go away.

On developer driven projects like this particular project, the developer is responsible for the placement or relocation of utilities - under the direction of the utility.
The developer is the one causing the delays on this project.
Perhaps the approvals should be structured differently so that this nonsense doesn't happen in the future.

Bottom line is to a great degree this has not affected the project, the stores are open & and everything is buttoned up except for the relocation of that line, installing the median and lines getting the road back in shape.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Well, I was here during the "Crack of '88" and it wasn't "a bit". It was three months.

That was quite the "commute" for some of my co-workers. We had a very beat up Volvo station wagon on the St. Mary's side that everyone who lived in Calvert used to get back and forth between our office and the ferry landing. I sold the company the Volvo for $250 ...they never bothered to change tags or anything else...gave it back to me when the bridge re-opened. LOL.