“Green” Energy, an Environmental Disaster

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The governors of Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, and Virginia have signed executive orders or passed laws to procure offshore wind systems valued at billions of dollars. Officials are eager to win leadership in what is perceived to be a new growth industry. The US Department of Energy has funded over $200 million in offshore wind research since 2011.

It is remarkable that the heavy hand of government has lined up behind such a risky technology.

Ocean-located turbines face one of the harshest environments on Earth. Turbines are battered by wind and waves, struck by lightning, and need to endure salt spray that is very corrosive to man-made structures.

In February, it was reported that Danish wind operator Ørsted must repair more than 600 wind turbines due to early blade failure. The blades are to be disassembled and brought to shore for repair after only five years of operation, at a cost on the order of $100 million.

Then in March, it was announced that wind turbines at the 175-turbine London Array, the world’s largest offshore wind system, would also need major repairs after only five years of use. Few offshore systems have made it to the end their specified 25-year lifetimes without a major overhaul.

Wind turbines sited off the eastern US coast must survive brutal weather compared to offshore turbines in Europe. From March 1 to March 22 of this year, four powerful extratropical cyclones, called nor’easters, battered our east coast from Virginia to Maine. These storms produced ocean storm surges, large snowfalls, wind gusts of up to 100 miles per hour, and even 20 tornados.

“Green” Energy, an Environmental Disaster

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Costs have dropped dramatically and continue to fall. LCOE for offshore wind in Europe is hovering just above 10 cents per KW-hr now and recent project bids have been as low as 6 cents per kw-hr.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
So ... why didn't you post the original article? Too lazy? Too stupid?

because I posted the one I did .... but the article I POSTED had right at the beginning a link to this:

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2018/05...offshore-systems-are-expensive-and-high-risk/

with the foot note on THAT Page: Originally published in The Daily Caller, republished here at the request of the author.

Or just have too many other websites to pepper with your Russian backed propaganda?

[deep breath] is that all you have 'Russian Propaganda'
.... is this the new - you are a Racist / Nazi - if I am ' in the pay of Russia' my opinions / articles posted do not matter

.... oh where is the 'you want children to die' attack as well

BTW...the original article is from one of your favorite propaganda sites: http://dailycaller.com/2018/05/18/hurricane-will-destroy-costly-east-coast-wind-turbines/

You are slipping comrade.

:yawn:

so at the end of your ad hominem attack did you have a point to make, other than you are obsessed and miserable