EZPass transponders now free in MD

Chris0nllyn

My biggest gripe was the monthly fee if you didn't use it enough. (That and the 3 years it took for them to cancel my account) I'm glad to see that went away

softtouch

Maryland recently announced they are going to do away with toll takers.
Everything will be electronic. If you didn't have an EZPass you would get bill based on your license plate. Kinda like a speed camera.
Maybe they have decided to not do the camera thing.

Tech

Everything will be electronic. If you didn't have an EZPass you would get bill based on your license plate. Kinda like a speed camera.
EZ Pass, get discount.
Photo pays full price.

PeoplesElbow

Oh damn, rental car companies charge a $30 fee to hunt you down and bill you the toll. Government travelers don't get reimbursed this fee either.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
EZ Pass, get discount.
Photo pays full price.

Probably wrong on photo. If it is like here in Fl, not only do you pay the full fare, but they add on a $2.50 "service fee, processing fee, etc." on top. So if you think you'll be charged for a dollar toll, count on paying more. Just get the pass.

PeoplesElbow

Probably wrong on photo. If it is like here in Fl, not only do you pay the full fare, but they add on a $2.50 "service fee, processing fee, etc." on top. So if you think you'll be charged for a dollar toll, count on paying more. Just get the pass.

That is where I got hit with the $30 charge from a rental company for paying the toll.

Tech

If the toll is $4, is posted as such and the state removes toll takers, can they charge more?

steppinthrax

From a technical perspective it makes better sense to NOT issue EZ-passes and go according to the license plate. You simply have an online account that you pay your tolls, everyone's plate is registered to them and you login to either specify a "mass-use" program or just regular use. It's certainly well within the technical capabilities. It would save the state even more money by not issuing/maintaining/upgrading electronic RFID tags.

glhs837

Power with Control
From a technical perspective it makes better sense to NOT issue EZ-passes and go according to the license plate. You simply have an online account that you pay your tolls, everyone's plate is registered to them and you login to either specify a "mass-use" program or just regular use. It's certainly well within the technical capabilities. It would save the state even more money by not issuing/maintaining/upgrading electronic RFID tags.

Which doesnt help me when I travel to other EZ pass states, no thanks.

glhs837

Power with Control
I only go across the Bay Bridge once, maybe twice a year. So EZPass never made economic sense to me.

Same here, until the daughter moved to Richmond. The savings on a few crossings on the Nice Bridge payed for it pretty fast. Add in a few trips up around Baltimore and the Eastern Shore andout towards Chantilly and the savings are well worth it. Not mention the lowered aggravation of waiting for someone to count out the toll in pennies :)

I've had mine for years, and had to pay for the transponder ($10), but it paid for itself in the first trip to Long Island. The north-east corridor toll costs are just absurd, and having the transponder was worth very penny for just not having to wait in the long toll lines.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I only go across the Bay Bridge once, maybe twice a year. So EZPass never made economic sense to me.

Well, now that the pass is free, all you have to do is set up an account, make a minimum deposit on a credit card, and you will only get billed when you use it. Won't cost you anything more than when you use it. If you don't use it, your money should still be there, so no loss. If you are forced to use a toll anywhere under that system, you don't have to stop, and should pay a lesser fee.

I just got the SunPass a few years ago for Fl/GA, and I think in SC/NC as well it is good. I don't use the toll roads that often, but it is easier at times, especially now that toll takers are/have been eliminated.

steppinthrax

Which doesnt help me when I travel to other EZ pass states, no thanks.

It would have to be a phased roll-out. So other states would continue to use ez-pass, maryland and other states would continue to issue it. But at some point once everyone is on board they stop issuing them. These type of things have been done beofre, this is not too hard.

glhs837

Power with Control
It would have to be a phased roll-out. So other states would continue to use ez-pass, maryland and other states would continue to issue it. But at some point once everyone is on board they stop issuing them. These type of things have been done beofre, this is not too hard.

As long as it's done sensibly. I wouldnt like for my EZpass to die and have to resort to hand paying tolls in VA, PA, or NJ. Last weekends trip to PA, the Turnpike appeared to only have cameras in the EZpass lane, we'll see how that works out :)

steppinthrax

As long as it's done sensibly. I wouldnt like for my EZpass to die and have to resort to hand paying tolls in VA, PA, or NJ. Last weekends trip to PA, the Turnpike appeared to only have cameras in the EZpass lane, we'll see how that works out :)

I haven't hand paid a toll in over 10 years. :D

nutz

Well, now that the pass is free, all you have to do is set up an account, make a minimum deposit on a credit card, and you will only get billed when you use it. Won't cost you anything more than when you use it. If you don't use it, your money should still be there, so no loss. If you are forced to use a toll anywhere under that system, you don't have to stop, and should pay a lesser fee.

I just got the SunPass a few years ago for Fl/GA, and I think in SC/NC as well it is good. I don't use the toll roads that often, but it is easier at times, especially now that toll takers are/have been eliminated.

With EZpass, they keep a $25.oo minimum (at least on mine) by billing your cc.

somdwatch

Oh damn, rental car companies charge a $30 fee to hunt you down and bill you the toll. Government travelers don't get reimbursed this fee either.

You just need to call the company managing the tags for rental companies. And tell them the govt won't be paying. Over the past year they have been accepting and closing the charges.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
With EZpass, they keep a $25.oo minimum (at least on mine) by billing your cc.

Same here. When I hit a balance of $10 or less, which usually takes a while for me, it is automatically renewed another $25. Not real difficult, for sure.