Amazon demonetizes conservative website

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
For as long as I can remember, Legal Insurrection has participated in Amazon Associates, a way for websites to earn fees when readers shop at Amazon.com via links from our website.

It was an important source of revenue to us, and paid for some of the operating expenses readers never see.

On Saturday morning, April 28, 2018, I woke up to an email in my inbox from Amazon Associates telling me our participation in the program was terminated, our account closed, that the decision was final and there was no appeal. On top of that, Amazon was holding back any accumulated money it owed us.

There was no prior indication of a problem, or chance to cure. It’s always been our intent to comply with the program requirements. I detail what happened, including all the email communications, below.

In isolation, it’s just a website cut off from a source of revenue by an internet behemoth because the internet behemoth could. But if there was an anti-conservative ideological angle to it, either at inception or during the review process, it would be consistent with what is happening at high tech companies more generally. The problems Prager U and others have had with video restrictions and demonetization at YouTube, the exposure of Twitter shadow-banning, and the intolerance revealed at Google are just a few of the examples of an anti-conservative bias among internet giants.

We have not been immune to such problems, YouTube removes influential conservative website’s channel.

Amazon does not perform the same gatekeeper role as other internet giants, but it is not just a shopping site. Its cloud computing service plays an increasingly important role in access to information, potentially including such giants such as the Department of Defense.

Amazon demonetizes conservative website

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
In isolation, it’s just a website cut off from a source of revenue by an internet behemoth because the internet behemoth could.

On one hand, Amazon is a corporation and can certainly do business and partner as it pleases. But anyone who denies that it is indeed trying to shape the political landscape and control free speech is living in la la land.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
On one hand, Amazon is a corporation and can certainly do business and partner as it pleases. But anyone who denies that it is indeed trying to shape the political landscape and control free speech is living in la la land.
Please stand by:

In a few minutes Chris will put his bong or crack pipe down and he will drop by to tell you why you're wrong.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

:yay:

Indeed ....

Certainly Amazon may conduct business as they see fit

My only issue is the 'made' up BS to end the Affiliate Account ... if you lay down Rules for Conducting YOUR Business, they should be applied equally

otherwise just include - we reserve the right to terminate this arraignment at any time as we see fit

and then have the balls to use it

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You know, I just want honesty. The bait & switch is what pisses me off. Be clear and plain with your agenda, then let the consumer decide. Don't pretend to be one thing to gain market share, then become something else once you've gotten everybody hooked. Any company that would do that will be dishonest in other areas as well.

I use Amazon a LOT, especially now that I travel full time. I'm not sure how I would be able to successfully boycott them - which was the plan all along: get consumers to the point that they cannot feasibly dump you, squash all competition, then whip out your political hatchet.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
You know, I just want honesty. The bait & switch is what pisses me off. Be clear and plain with your agenda, then let the consumer decide.

I'll Posit This ... until a business attains a certain level of success, they keep their heads down and their Politics Private

Facebook
Twitter
Amazon

most business keep quiet .... do you hear anything from Cedar Point on Guns ? Immigration ?

but Target, Dick's and others have stepped in to the fray

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'll Posit This ... until a business attains a certain level of success, they keep their heads down and their Politics Private

Facebook
Twitter
Amazon

most business keep quiet .... do you hear anything from Cedar Point on Guns ? Immigration ?

but Target, Dick's and others have stepped in to the fray

Because they know if they flew the freak flag while they're trying to get started, they wouldn't have gotten to big box status. Notable exception: Walmart and Chick-Fil-A have both been honest from the very beginning about their "traditional values", and in fact use it in their marketing. It not only hasn't hurt them, it's helped grow their customer base. But when Leftists start their business with political honesty, they go away rather quickly.

There's a revelation in there somewhere.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
But when Leftists start their business with political honesty, they go away rather quickly.

There's a revelation in there somewhere.

but by all accounts there are 100 million leftists [maybe more]

325 mil / 3 ya know Dem's, Rep's, I's [assuming for argument an even split]

there should be plenty of Progressives to support ANY Endeavor with their pocketbooks ...
... But Air America was a Flaming Failure
... Virtue Signaling Hollywood Movies that attack the beliefs of Conservatives are utter flops

Movies Promoting More Traditional Values are Wildly Successful

Last edited: