2 Samuel 6 Spoiled Brat

seekeroftruth

2 Samuel 6:20 When David returned home to bless his household, Michal daughter of Saul came out to meet him and said, “How the king of Israel has distinguished himself today, going around half-naked in full view of the slave girls of his servants as any vulgar fellow would!”

21 David said to Michal, “It was before the Lord, who chose me rather than your father or anyone from his house when he appointed me ruler over the Lord’s people Israel—I will celebrate before the Lord. 22 I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes. But by these slave girls you spoke of, I will be held in honor.”

23 And Michal daughter of Saul had no children to the day of her death.​

I know... I said it was for tomorrow. I don't want anyone sitting and strumming their fingers waiting on me.

This is from blueletterbible.org.

Uncovering himself today: Michal seems to indicated that she didn't object to David's dancing, but to what David wore when he set aside his royal robes and danced as a man just like the other men celebrating in the procession. David acted as if he were just another worshipper in Israel.​

It was before the LORD: David didn't let Michal's sarcastic criticism ruin his day. He simply explained the truth: "I did it for God, not for you."

Therefore Michal the daughter of Saul had no children to the day of her death: Michal's barrenness was not necessarily the result of Divine judgment. It may be that David never had marital relations with her again. Nevertheless, the principle stands: there is often barrenness in the life and ministry of the overly critical.​

Remember, Saul was from a good family. When the Israelis wanted a king like everyone else had... God picked Saul... because he looked good and came from a good family... after all... that's what they wanted... a token... right? So Saul's daughter wouldn't act like a shepherd girl... she's a rich girl raised in the best of homes... she has airs to maintain.... she can't have her husband running around acting like a fool.... she's the king's daughter and the king's wife. She has airs to maintain.

One more little note.... Saul gave Micah to someone else after David had earned her hand in marriage. When the Israelis came to him and asked him to be king... he demanded Micah's return. She may have liked her husband... it isn't mentioned.... maybe she's still upset because David isn't interested in how she was getting along in her marriage.... maybe she feels treated like a possession rather than the kings wife.

:coffee: