ISO Recommendations Deck Builders recommendations in Calvert County

steppinthrax

I have a house in Calvert, I'm looking at a big deck (20 x 50). Curious if anyone is local in the area, if they know someone. I'm not looking for some big company. I'm looking at a traditional PT deck with one set of steps. Fully square, no levels or crazy stuff..

Most likely all wood with one set of steps. I'm also curious if this would be possible, but if the person does only PART of the job which I will pay for. Mainly attachment of the ledger board, setting all the post and building the frame for which I will install the joist, decking, post etc...

If the price difference is not all that much, then I can let the guy do the entire thing.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I have a house in Calvert, I'm looking at a big deck (20 x 50). Curious if anyone is local in the area, if they know someone. I'm not looking for some big company. I'm looking at a traditional PT deck with one set of steps. Fully square, no levels or crazy stuff..
Most likely all wood with one set of steps. I'm also curious if this would be possible, but if the person does only PART of the job which I will pay for. Mainly attachment of the ledger board, setting all the post and building the frame for which I will install the joist, decking, post etc... If the price difference is not all that much, then I can let the guy do the entire thing.

Funny. After attaching to the house, posting, squaring and leveling, and framing, the easiest and quickest thing left to do is install the joist and the laying of the decking. Railing a bit longer. Why not just do the whole thing yourself? If I were to price out a job like this it would be say, $5000 for the whole job or $5000 for half the job. You buying the materials as well? Or do you want to control that aspect as well?

steppinthrax

If I may ...

Funny. After attaching to the house, posting, squaring and leveling, and framing, the easiest and quickest thing left to do is install the joist and the laying of the decking. Railing a bit longer. Why not just do the whole thing yourself? If I were to price out a job like this it would be say, $5000 for the whole job or $5000 for half the job. You buying the materials as well? Or do you want to control that aspect as well?

My situation is unique as The deck is spanning the entire length of the house and part of the span has to go over a walkout basement concrete pad which is where the elevation drops off 6 feet. So You are talking about cutting holes into a concrete pad to install a post while the rest is over dirt ground. The other side of the deck has to have steps that come down from the deck and must meet a brick patio which is elevated with a retaining wall.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

My situation is unique as The deck is spanning the entire length of the house and part of the span has to go over a walkout basement concrete pad which is where the elevation drops off 6 feet. So You are talking about cutting holes into a concrete pad to install a post while the rest is over dirt ground. The other side of the deck has to have steps that come down from the deck and must meet a brick patio which is elevated with a retaining wall.

Then let whomever you choose, to complete the whole job. Don't piecemeal it out. The hardest part is calculated along with the easiest part. You have to let the contractor have the gravy after doing the long hard work of peeling and mashing the potatoes.

Hannibal

I know the guy who builds for QBH and does a great job. Prices are good too when dealing with him direct. Does easy and hard builds. PM if interested and I can pass along his information. I’m waiting on him to confirm he’d be interested and has the time.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Don't forget the County to get your permit and pay for your inspection. Last I saw permit was $.04 sqft. and inspection I think is a flat $30.

Goldenhawk

...talking about cutting holes into a concrete pad to install a post while the rest is over dirt ground....
Unless we're talking about a crazy-wide concrete pad, you may be better off simply installing a beam rated to carry the deck across the concrete pad, with suitable posts at each end into the dirt (which is simple enough). There are plenty of online resources to compute the proper size of wood beams (look up "lumber span tables"), and I'm pretty sure you'll pay less to do that than dealing with the concrete work. Bonus, it'll be more open-looking from below, instead of a post right in the middle of the doorway.

Here's two typical resources:
https://www.decks.com/how-to/40/beam-span-chart-table
https://www.finehomebuilding.com/2015/03/08/how-far-can-a-deck-beam-span

Hannibal

You can also compliment an upsized beam by placing a middle post and anchoring it to the slab itself. This will depend on the slab thickness/bearing underneath but with an upsized beam, the center post shouldn't carry a tremendous amount of weight and the spread along the slab should be adequate.

steppinthrax

a square or a rectangle? No geometry required to get that masters in computers degree?

Are you trying to be some kind of stupid? If the deck were square then it would be equal on all sides (i.e. 20 x 20, 40 x 40). I don't think I need to explain how rectangular dimensions would appear. If the deck was irregular I would have provided additional dimensions. Then you rag on the fact that I have a Masters. If it bothers you all that much Community College of Southern Maryland accepts everyone, based on your statement it's probably the best you can get into.