Need to get my car repainted

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Starting to look like white trash. I toyed with the idea of getting a new car, but I love my old faithful one and it's set up perfect for my needs.

What's the general cost to paint a 2006 Rav4? Just a ballpark. And about how long should I expect it to take? The front of the hood has some tree sap damage, and there are a few minor dents going on around the body, plus the back bumper dent where I backed into RoseRed's tree one dark night. :jet: It's really not bad and normally I wouldn't worry about fixing those except I know paint guys like a perfect finish, so might as well get 'er done.

I'll most likely take it to PJ when we're back that way in September - they've done work for me before and I can't say enough good things about them.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Starting to look like white trash. I toyed with the idea of getting a new car, but I love my old faithful one and it's set up perfect for my needs.

What's the general cost to paint a 2006 Rav4? Just a ballpark. And about how long should I expect it to take? The front of the hood has some tree sap damage, and there are a few minor dents going on around the body, plus the back bumper dent where I backed into RoseRed's tree one dark night. :jet: It's really not bad and normally I wouldn't worry about fixing those except I know paint guys like a perfect finish, so might as well get 'er done.

I'll most likely take it to PJ when we're back that way in September - they've done work for me before and I can't say enough good things about them.

I'll have you know, that tree is now dying. Tree killer! :lol:

MR47930

You sure it needs repainted and nothing that an experienced detailer could take care of? You'd be surprised what some good polish and a coat of wax can do. If it's clearly chipping than that's a different story. As for the dents, that just adds character.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You sure it needs repainted and nothing that an experienced detailer could take care of? You'd be surprised what some good polish and a coat of wax can do. If it's clearly chipping than that's a different story. As for the dents, that just adds character.

No, it's clearly chipping and down to the metal in tiny little spots. I want to get it fixed before they become big spots and I have to start wearing a mullet and blue eyeshadow.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
No, it's clearly chipping and down to the metal in tiny little spots. I want to get it fixed before they become big spots and I have to start wearing a mullet and blue eyeshadow.

:lol:

mimi-drew-carey.jpg

Bonehead

PJs is gone Caliber Collision now. The last car I had done 85 Mercedes wagon was 3500 $ I remember the minimum was 3200.

glhs837

Power with Control
Decent job? 3-4K. Mostly all man-hours. Just masking, not stripping all the moldings and trims takes a lot of time to do right. And that job will show that it was masked and not stripped.

PJs? Sorry, you evidently didn't get the word, they are gone........ now it's a Caliber Collision. No idea how good or bad they might be.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
PJs is gone Caliber Collision now. The last car I had done 85 Mercedes wagon was 3500 $ I remember the minimum was 3200.

Decent job? 3-4K. Mostly all man-hours. Just masking, not stripping all the moldings and trims takes a lot of time to do right. And that job will show that it was masked and not stripped.

PJs? Sorry, you evidently didn't get the word, they are gone........ now it's a Caliber Collision. No idea how good or bad they might be.

:frown:

Well, then, can anyone recommend a good body shop?

Just park it on a street in NE Baltimore or DC. Pretty sure it will get painted. Might lose a few wheels, but hey, a free paint job?

PJ's, ie Caliber, is the same folks. PJ himself left to do towing full time, but the crew is the same.

Not sure what "minimum" was being referred to, I got an estimate for a bumper replacement for around $1300.

glhs837

Power with Control
PJ's, ie Caliber, is the same folks. PJ himself left to do towing full time, but the crew is the same.

Not sure what "minimum" was being referred to, I got an estimate for a bumper replacement for around $1300.

I think that number applies to a whole vehicle repaint. Assumes masking, not stripping things like trim and badges, no body work needing done, that sort of thing.

Chris0nllyn

What kind of car? The eventual question is, how good of a job are you willing to pay for?

If it's an older car that runs awesome, but the car is only worth $5k, do you really want to spend $3k on a paint job? Maaco isn't great, like...at all, but they are cheap. If you;re willing to take some time and do the prep work Maaco pays a baboon (actual monkey, not a racial epitaph) to do, you can get a paint job that looks nice for much cheaper.

Another option is to look at local trade schools that offer auto body programs. You may be able to drop it off as a learning vehicle and get it painted for cheap. Yes, students will do the work, but it's typically overseen by professionals. Unfortunately, nothing is super close.

Auto body school in Severn:
http://www.catnorth.org/automotive-collision-repairrefinishing/

PG Community College has an auto body course:
https://www.pgcc.edu/Programs_and_C...g_Education_Program_Detail.aspx?id=6442462820

Lincoln Tech offers an auto body program also, but not in MD.
https://info.lincolntech-usa.com/programs/automotive/collision-and-repair-refinishing/

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What kind of car? The eventual question is, how good of a job are you willing to pay for?

If it's an older car that runs awesome, but the car is only worth $5k, do you really want to spend $3k on a paint job? Maaco isn't great, like...at all, but they are cheap. If you;re willing to take some time and do the prep work Maaco pays a baboon (actual monkey, not a racial epitaph) to do, you can get a paint job that looks nice for much cheaper.

Another option is to look at local trade schools that offer auto body programs. You may be able to drop it off as a learning vehicle and get it painted for cheap. Yes, students will do the work, but it's typically overseen by professionals. Unfortunately, nothing is super close.

Auto body school in Severn:
http://www.catnorth.org/automotive-collision-repairrefinishing/

PG Community College has an auto body course:
https://www.pgcc.edu/Programs_and_C...g_Education_Program_Detail.aspx?id=6442462820

Lincoln Tech offers an auto body program also, but not in MD.
https://info.lincolntech-usa.com/programs/automotive/collision-and-repair-refinishing/

What a great idea! Yes, it's an older car (2006) so spending $3k may not make a lot of sense.

Thanks!

black dog

Free America
What a great idea! Yes, it's an older car (2006) so spending $3k may not make a lot of sense.

Thanks!

I believe the Tech center in St Marys has a body & paint shop, Its attached to the diesel shop.
And if you re going to look into Macco, the often have 50% off sales.

Chris0nllyn