Firefighter has become master of maxing out overtime pay

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
A Los Angeles firefighter received $300,000 in overtime pay in one year by working more hours than actually exist in a single year.

Donn Thompson augmented his $92,000 salary by more than a quarter of a million dollars in 2017, Reason magazine reported, citing data from Transparent California, a project of the Nevada Policy Research Institute.

It wasn’t a one-off payout, as Thompson earned over $1 million in overtime pay over the last four years.

But the math behind the pay doesn’t add up. It would have required the firefighter to work 9,280 hours in a year, despite there being 8,760 hours in a single year.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...as-become-master-maxing-out-overtime-pay.html

Hijinx

A Los Angeles firefighter received $300,000 in overtime pay in one year by working more hours than actually exist in a single year.

Donn Thompson augmented his $92,000 salary by more than a quarter of a million dollars in 2017, Reason magazine reported, citing data from Transparent California, a project of the Nevada Policy Research Institute.

It wasn’t a one-off payout, as Thompson earned over $1 million in overtime pay over the last four years.

But the math behind the pay doesn’t add up. It would have required the firefighter to work 9,280 hours in a year, despite there being 8,760 hours in a single year.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...as-become-master-maxing-out-overtime-pay.html

I had a friend who did this, but he no longer works as a Firefighter.
Sharp guy, Good Firefighter, just greedy.It was too easy to do.
Isn't that what gets most thieves?

glhs837

Power with Control
For a while, the Navy required us sailors to document off-aircraft work hours (on-aircraft was captured on the maint paperwork) ona thing called a SAF form. Superviors caught crap for not documenting enough hours, which crap of course rolled downhill. which of course resulted in our shop documenting so many off-aircraft hours of work we either needed to be an extra 5 people, of we had more hours than exist in the week :)

nutz

they're just jealous because a lowly fireman earns too much.....here lies another example of why people suck. The populace demands the government do something to fix their problems but then cry because its not what they really want, or it costs too much, or its rayciss, or........

This is not new, they keep repeating it because?

"Los Angeles officials, however, say the report fails to explain the complex reasons for its firefighter overtime: a five-year hiring freeze coupled with the retirements of seasoned firefighters have led to long-standing staffing shortages amid a rise in emergency response service calls." https://www.dailynews.com/2016/06/2...arn-up-to-300k-a-year-in-overtime-study-says/

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
they're just jealous because a lowly fireman earns too much.....here lies another example of why people suck. The populace demands the government do something to fix their problems but then cry because its not what they really want, or it costs too much, or its rayciss, or........

This is not new, they keep repeating it because?

"Los Angeles officials, however, say the report fails to explain the complex reasons for its firefighter overtime: a five-year hiring freeze coupled with the retirements of seasoned firefighters have led to long-standing staffing shortages amid a rise in emergency response service calls." https://www.dailynews.com/2016/06/2...arn-up-to-300k-a-year-in-overtime-study-says/

Hmmm, and that explains getting more overtime in a year than there were hours in that year how?

black dog

Free America
Hmmm, and that explains getting more overtime in a year than there were hours in that year how?

That's easy, as a Elevator Constructor I didn't work 1 1/2 after eight or 40, I went to double time, so if I worked mon-fri 16 hour days I turned in 24 hours in a day.
On sat & sun I turned in 32 hours for working 16 hours, holidays were triple time for day.
If this fireman lives at the firehouse and they work a 24 on 48 or 72 off and he is on duty for most of the year passing on days off it's not hard to do.

officeguy

That's probably 'credit hours', not actual hours. The way to get there is by picking up extra shifts at higher level than his rank on short notice. With triple credit a 48hr hr shift may give you 144hrs of credit, it doesn't preclude you from working another 24 or 36 right after. Of course, if he lied about how much he worked or if he gamed the system by calling in sick for his scheduled shift just to pick up an unscheduled shift at a different station, he deserves all the hate he is getting. If he just played within the contract provisions, more power to him.

That's easy, as a Elevator Constructor I didn't work 1 1/2 after eight or 40, I went to double time, so if I worked mon-fri 16 hour days I turned in 24 hours in a day.
On sat & sun I turned in 32 hours for working 16 hours, holidays were triple time for day.
If this fireman lives at the firehouse and they work a 24 on 48 or 72 off and he is on duty for most of the year passing on days off it's not hard to do.

I've never seen it done that way. We would charge the correct number of hours regardless of the OT status. The OT/DT hours had a code for OT/DT, so you'd get payed the OT and DT, but the hours were actual.

black dog

Free America
I've never seen it done that way. We would charge the correct number of hours regardless of the OT status. The OT/DT hours had a code for OT/DT, so you'd get payed the OT and DT, but the hours were actual.

I was just making a point on how easy it is to work more than 24 hours in a day.
Different elevator companys did payroll paperwork differently, some did payroll like you and others different. All the really mattered to our International was all worked hours were reported to them as strait hours for member benefits to be active.