Thread: Websites block European users

Blog Entries

Websites block European users

https://www.bloombergquint.com/busin...dpr#gs.3w_eFcU

Blocking 500 Million Users Easier Than Complying With GDPR

For some of Americaís biggest newspapers and online services, itís easier to block half a billion people from accessing your product than comply with Europeís new General Data Protection Regulation.

The Los Angeles Times, the Chicago Tribune, and The New York Daily News are just some telling visitors that, "Unfortunately, our website is currently unavailable in most European countries."

With about 500 million people living in the European Union, thatís a hard ban on one-and-a-half times the population of the U.S.

GDPR Primer

Just so you know, Southern Maryland Online does not collect your personal information beyond IP address and email when you register for a service that requires it, nor do we track you outside of this specific site. We have NEVER sold or released our subscriber/member list for any reason. We also do not retain your credit card information if you purchase something on our website - classifieds, forum Premo, etc. - unless you specifically purchased a clearly identified renewing subscription.

All that said, I'm not convinced that these privacy regulations will amount to a hill of crap, and I'm positive our Congresstards will implement something similar here.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

This is why I getting emails from EVERY vendor I've ever used to review their new privacy policies and in some cases to re-register to receive communications from them.
    "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever." - Shane Falco

if I owned a company that did not have any offices in the EU I'd tell them to go pound sand .... what are they going to do, sue me in Euro-court

I'm guessing SOMD is not complying since I didn't get my notice
    Weíre tempted to suggest a conspiracy here ó but itís just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply canít conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

ďMoral precepts are constant through the ages and not obedient to circumstances.Ē

Members who have read this thread: 24