Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tell us your funny stories

Blog Entries
    This happened at Naval Aircrewman Candidate School in 1988. It's a 5 week course. Lots of PT, swimming in the beginning. Probably around the 2nd week we are in ranks of 3 across and 15 deep, the entire class. We have 1 female in the group. On the sidewalk in front of the building, each row is positioned on 1 of the sidewalk cracks. We are 15 cracks from the front porch.

We are told that we will exercise and at the end of each successful turn, we will proceed forward 1 sidewalk crack. When the first row reaches the porch we will be all done for the day. It's early afternoon so we are all motivated to get finished.

First command is to do 14 jumping jacks. Easy, no sweat. Except that after jack #14 a few people flap their arms up as to do another. They catch themselves and try to quickly bring their arms and legs back together. But they are busted so we have to do it all over again. We can't move forward just yet. They add a few more repetitions, something around 23 or so. Again some numbnutz twitches when he should have stopped.

Did I mention it's a bit warm in Pensacola, FL? So this continues with the command to do 28, 33, 41, 49, etc. We are still in the same place where we began. The count is now 81. People are getting frustrated, cursing under their breath. I told those around me to focus on the number. We finally manage to stop as a group. We move forward and now the first rank has to do flutter kicks while the other rows still do the jumping jacks. Again the count is some random number that isn't a multiple of 5 or 10, but it's back down to a low, manageable number like 13 or so.

You would think with all the difficulty we had the first time around that people would get it in their heads to pay attention to the count. But NO. The same thing happens. We fail to stop in unison. The number climbs. The guys doing flutter kicks are really pissed. They are cursing out loud now. It's the same 4-5 people that keep screwing it up. Time is now a blur. Instead of thinking about knocking off early, I start to worry that we may never get off that sidewalk.

I have to hand it to the person who came up with this evolution. Human nature is an amazing thing to study. They dangled us a carrot but we couldn't manage to capitalize on it. We spent most of the rest of the afternoon doing exercises. They didn't cut us any slack. It was either done correctly or it was done over again with a few more repetitions added for good measure. Boy, those were the days.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aircrew.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	123070
    "Is Uncle Monello homeless?"

Monello thinks he is king of the forum, now. Just keep that in mind.
    I do this #### all day long, deal with freaks and wackjobs - BM

Veterans before illegals

Quote Originally Posted by edinsomd View Post
    It was going to be a long eight weeks.
    And guess what my nick name was for the duration?
    F-ing Mark Spitz.

Yeahhhhh, standing out in these types of trainings or schools, etc. are always a recipe for "special attention".

But that's a great story!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwillia View Post
    That makes him a hoot and 3/4!

The instructors hammered us with "teamwork" too. Funny thing, though. On the Final Practical, the graduation exercise where I jumped into the tank to "rescue" three survivors/instructors with increasing levels of aggression, there was no "team" there with me. That last drill culled four from the class, overall about a 70% wash-out rate over the course.
    Sometimes it's all on one's own self.
    Last edited by edinsomd; 06-12-2018 at 06:36 PM.
    Which part of "...shall not be infringed." do you not understand?

Quote Originally Posted by Bann View Post
    Yeahhhhh, standing out in these types of trainings or schools, etc. are always a recipe for "special attention".

But that's a great story!
    Thanks! I may have a couple more.

"Now this ain't no sh!t..."
    Which part of "...shall not be infringed." do you not understand?

5. 06-12-2018, 06:55 PM

Told the Ensign we needed batteries for the sound powered phone, he just wanted to know where were they at.

Sandiago, first time leave after boot camp graduate. Me and another dude was looking to have get a specific sex act. Dude comes up to us, says what kind of woman do you want blonde, brunette etc. We give him cash, he says wait here. Well after about 20 minutes and never seeing the dude again we gained a life lesson. I think the lesson was we just picked the wrong day.
    Last edited by FED_UP; 07-25-2018 at 02:43 PM.

Blog Entries
    Ask a supply officer what is 1 +1. Most likely they will reply "What do we need it to be?".
    "Is Uncle Monello homeless?"

Monello thinks he is king of the forum, now. Just keep that in mind.
    I do this #### all day long, deal with freaks and wackjobs - BM

Veterans before illegals

Quote Originally Posted by SailorGirl View Post
    This is going back many moons, but has anyone ever been deployed to Lajes Azores and visited George the Crook (at least that's what my squadron called him).
    1970's C-118 days, giant jugs of rot gut Moscatel cheap.

Members who have read this thread: 71