The National Anthem is about more than pregame routine.

BOP

This is the kind of thing that reinforces why I'm proud to be an American.

When an official announced they would not play the Star Spangled Banner before the Clovis-Buchanan softball game Friday – twice! – well, you may as well have let Kim Jong Un throw out the first pitch dressed in nothing but an Iron Curtain.

No anthem? Nice try. Hundreds of softball fans took to their feet and spangled away, singing the anthem a capella while the players on the field stood at attention toward the centerfield flag at Margie Wright Diamond.

Read more here: http://www.fresnobee.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/david-white/article211994924.html#storylink=cpy

Hijinx

This is the kind of thing that reinforces why I'm proud to be an American.

When an official announced they would not play the Star Spangled Banner before the Clovis-Buchanan softball game Friday – twice! – well, you may as well have let Kim Jong Un throw out the first pitch dressed in nothing but an Iron Curtain.

No anthem? Nice try. Hundreds of softball fans took to their feet and spangled away, singing the anthem a capella while the players on the field stood at attention toward the centerfield flag at Margie Wright Diamond.

Read more here: http://www.fresnobee.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/david-white/article211994924.html#storylink=cpy

Cheers for the people in the stands.

Popster

I now have real mixed thoughts. I learned that John McCain came out in 2005 with criticism of this practice. It turns out that the DOD paid the NFL owners to start this practice. Before stayed in the locker room and came on the field after the anthem and opening ceremonies. McCain said (my paraphrase, not quote) that he felt that if organizations wanted to honer those brave souls who protected our country, the should do it sincerely and at their own expense rather than as part of a marketing strategy. From 2011-14 the DOD paid the NFL OWNERS 5.4 million and the National Guard paid 6.7 million. Evidentally ESPN reported on the in 2016 and I think the programs has now ended.

As a taxpayer I have had to help foot the bill for all the new stadiums. I find it infuriating that I have been paying through military appropriation for a marketing campaign that enriches the NFL owners.