anybody know what happened in So Calvert?

Hannibal

Got this from a neighbor a few doors down from the explosion. Not gospel yet .....

Buried propane leak and explosion. Nearly leveled house. No one killed but some bad burns. Everyone got out. I believe at least one was flown out.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Sparkleberry Court. Pretty huge explosion. Quite a lot of PF could hear it - even someone I know over in Sheridan Point someone heard it. (Although, we didn't hear it over where we are)

Here's the latest from PFVFD's Twitter feed:

4100 block of Sparkleberry Ct - Prince Frederick - House Fire 8:11 AM - 28 May 2018
https://twitter.com/PFVFD2/status/1001118875830931458

We are preparing a formal statement on today’s fire, will send out within the hour. Also one minor correction: Helicopters were initially called, but not available to fly due to weather, two occupants were transported by ground to Medstar Washington Hospital Center.
https://twitter.com/PFVFD2/status/1001175849708802060

https://twitter.com/PFVFD2/status/1001154909721583616

Bann

PREMO Member
More info from PF VFD:

On Monday, May 28, 2018 the Prince Frederick Volunteer Fire Department was called to a house fire in the 4000 block of Sparkleberry Court.Initial reports claimed an explosion was heard and fire was visible.

Deputy Fire Chief Mark Arhar and crew arrived on the scene to find a single family home fully engulfed in flames. Ahar established command and exterior operations only were performed.

Arhar said upon arrival the two occupants inside the home at the time of dispatch were found outside at a neighbor’s driveway. The pair was conscious, alert and breathing. Helicopters were initially called for transport, but not available due to weather, and both were transported by ground to MedStar.

According to Arhar it appears a possible explosion took place, but the official cause of the fire is under investigation by the Maryland State Fire Marshals Office.

A total of 60 firefighters assisted with the call, including local mutual aide units from inside and outside of Calvert County. The home and vehicles on the property were destroyed, other structures on the property were threatened, but ultimately saved during the incident.

Arhar says volunteers will continue to operate on the scene through the the afternoon.

https://www.pfvfd.org/memorial-day-house-fully-engulfed-in-flames-after-possible-explosion/

BernieP

Resident PIA
Local volunteer fire company got called out to a lumber yard fire
As if that was not bad enough, nobody was aware there was a propane leak.
Propane doesn't rise, the had a massive explosion that consumed a least one engine, I forget how many fire fighters were injured. Don't recall if anyone was killed.
I happen to work with one of the guys who was there trying to put out the original fire.

officeguy

The Baynet posted the same article PFVFD posted on their website in the link I provided above.

Just sayin'. :coffee:

Pretty certain they received that article from PFVFD as a press-release.

Smnewsnet will 'break the news' about that fire in due time.

Three days from now somdnews will put up the same article followed by an automatic post on the 'news' section of this forum ;-)

Bann

PREMO Member
Pretty certain they received that article from PFVFD as a press-release.
;-)

:yay: I'm sure they did. The posting "update" time is about 15 minutes after PFVFD's.

I was just pointing out to NBP that his posting was a repeat.

Bann

PREMO Member
It needed repeating since it switched to a lumber yard fire.

No, it didn't. Bernie was telling another story about a lumber yard fire where there was an unknown propane leak, which obviously complicated things for the FFs.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Local volunteer fire company got called out to a lumber yard fire
As if that was not bad enough, nobody was aware there was a propane leak.
Propane doesn't rise, the had a massive explosion that consumed a least one engine, I forget how many fire fighters were injured. Don't recall if anyone was killed.
I happen to work with one of the guys who was there trying to put out the original fire.

No, it didn't. Bernie was telling another story about a lumber yard fire where there was an unknown propane leak, which obviously complicated things for the FFs.

Oh. For some reason he didn't say that. But I forgot, you're always right even when you're not.

officeguy

:yay: I'm sure they did. The posting "update" time is about 15 minutes after PFVFD's.

I was just pointing out to NBP that his posting was a repeat.

And whoever runs smnewsnet got up this morning and posted the same press release and photos that PFVFD, baynet and fox5 have up since yesterday.