TSA created special watchlist of passengers

Chris0nllyn

The Transportation Security Administration has created a new secret watch list to monitor people who may be targeted as potential threats at airport checkpoints simply because they have swatted away security screeners’ hands or otherwise appeared unruly.

“An intent to injure or cause physical pain is not required, nor is an actual physical injury,” according to the directive that was issued in March by Darby LaJoye, the agency’s assistant administrator for security operations.

According to the directive, people who loiter suspiciously near security checkpoints could be put on the watch list. So could those who present what the document vaguely described as “challenges to the safe and effective completion of screening.”

The directive obtained by The Times does not specify how members of the public can appeal being included on the list.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/17/us/politics/new-watch-list-tsa-screeners-.html

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Whoever came up with this idea should get a raise and promotion. Imagine knowing ahead of time that a "covered Muslim woman" is coming through safety check station and that she's super adamant and difficult. I would then try to have a female Muslim TSA agent at the station to take personal attention to this passenger. Maybe there's a militant black who's known to verbally denounce everything about flying safety and blames it on President Trump. I would make sure there was a large rattlesnake watermelon beyond the metal detectors to quiet Midnight down. If we knew Chris was coming, we could make sure there were puppies and coloring books beyond the metal detectors.

What a great way of proactively solving problems before they get a chance to festor.

This_person

Whoever came up with this idea should get a raise and promotion. Imagine knowing ahead of time that a "covered Muslim woman" is coming through safety check station and that she's super adamant and difficult. I would then try to have a female Muslim TSA agent at the station to take personal attention to this passenger. Maybe there's a militant black who's known to verbally denounce everything about flying safety and blames it on President Trump. I would make sure there was a large rattlesnake watermelon beyond the metal detectors to quiet Midnight down. If we knew Chris was coming, we could make sure there were puppies and coloring books beyond the metal detectors.

What a great way of proactively solving problems before they get a chance to festor.

I know you are being funny, but the problem is that the TSA is there in the first place. There's no constitutional authority for the government to actively search every passenger and their baggage. None.

nutz

I know you are being funny, but the problem is that the TSA is there in the first place. There's no constitutional authority for the government to actively search every passenger and their baggage. None.

security of the airport, aircraft and associated general aviation equipment and utilities is up to the owner/operator of the facility. TSA only offers recommendations to the owner/operator on how to improve their security posture. Congress brought about the Aviation and Transportation Security Act. Through that, somehow, funding lines were established for TSA. An owner/operator would be foolish not to accept "free security", right?

"To date, TSA has not required GA airports to implement security measures except as necessary to provide enhanced security for the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area, including facilities located within the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan Special Flight Rules Area and gateway airports that are the last point of departure to Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA)."

https://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/files/2017_ga_security_guidelines.pdf

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

There's no constitutional authority that gives people the right to air travel.

From the article:

“If I’m running late, having a bad day and I’m rude to the screeners, do I get put on the list?” said Fred Burton, the chief security officer at Stratfor, a global intelligence company in Austin, Tex.

If you're running late and having a bad day, why the hell would you take it out on the screeners? So the answer is yes, if you are so self-important and rude, you should be put on a watchlist and ha ha, jerk. This guy sounds like those creeps who treat waitstaff like ####, too.

Air travel is NOT a right, it is a privilege. Act like an ass and think you're too important to follow the rules, you lose your privileges. Pretty simple.

Chris0nllyn

From the article:

If you're running late and having a bad day, why the hell would you take it out on the screeners? So the answer is yes, if you are so self-important and rude, you should be put on a watchlist and ha ha, jerk. This guy sounds like those creeps who treat waitstaff like ####, too.

Air travel is NOT a right, it is a privilege. Act like an ass and think you're too important to follow the rules, you lose your privileges. Pretty simple.

You'd fit right in North Korea, or the Soviet Union.

This_person

security of the airport, aircraft and associated general aviation equipment and utilities is up to the owner/operator of the facility. TSA only offers recommendations to the owner/operator on how to improve their security posture. Congress brought about the Aviation and Transportation Security Act. Through that, somehow, funding lines were established for TSA. An owner/operator would be foolish not to accept "free security", right?

"To date, TSA has not required GA airports to implement security measures except as necessary to provide enhanced security for the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area, including facilities located within the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan Special Flight Rules Area and gateway airports that are the last point of departure to Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA)."

https://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/files/2017_ga_security_guidelines.pdf

I've tried to bypass them and just go to my plane. It doesn't work.

This_person

Air travel is NOT a right, it is a privilege.

Air travel IS a right. The tenth amendment makes it so.

A privilege is something that is an exception from having a right removed from you. For example, if you have been sent to jail for 10 years, and you get out in 4 years for "good behavior", that is a privilege. You have the right to EVERYTHING YOU WANT - life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. That does not imply in any way that you will get everything you want, or anything at all for that matter, nor does it imply in any way that you are to be given a damned thing. But, EVERYTHING is your right unless it has been removed per agreement with the Constitution by our ancestors. Indeed, even those things can come back because we can change the constitution.

You do NOT have the right to be 21 and elected president - we have voluntarily given that up. That's just one easy example.

The constitution is not a list of rights you have, but a list of responsibilities the government has followed by a series of disclaimers (including the 10th amendment) that remind us that those are the ONLY things the federal government has the authority to deal with.

Now, one could argue that the commerce clause gives the federal government the right to regulate air travel. But, that would be the actual travel itself, not the unreasonable search of citizens without a warrant and seizure of legal products. We do not restrict people driving in cars, walking, riding in buses, or on trains, or bicycles, etc., etc., to travel without a soda bought inside of a protected area, or to keep their knives at home under threat of theft from the government. Therefore, that is unreasonable action on the government.

Should people be kind and courteous? Of course. Should there be a different set of rules or actions set by the government against people who are rude? Of course not. If we allow the government to change the rules or way they treat people based on whether or not the government people like or don't like the person involved, then we can't really complain about the IRS scandal against conservatives or "may issue" states or racially-based employment quotas, can we?