About Gowdy's comments on TV

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The claims that Gowdy had somehow “refuted” allegations that the FBI used at least one informant to spy on the Trump operation are in direct conflict with confirmed reporting from The New York Times and Washington Post that the FBI did, in fact, use at least one individual to secretly collect information against the Trump campaign for use in the bureau’s anti-Trump investigative efforts. Gowdy himself suggests confirmation that such a government agent was used to secretly collect information on the Trump campaign.

The actual dispute is not whether the FBI used at least one person to spy — or secretly collect information — on people in Trump’s orbit, but whether this is something routinely done against Republican candidates and should be accepted uncritically, or whether it should be fully investigated by the media, the public, government watchdogs, and elected lawmakers obligated by the Constitution to conduct oversight on the agencies to which they appropriate taxpayer funding.

Gowdy’s curious exoneration of the FBI caught many by surprise given his work on the previous HPSCI report that found widespread abuse of surveillance procedures targeting the Trump campaign.

“I am even more convinced that the FBI did exactly what my fellow citizens would want them to do when they got the information they got,” Gowdy said in an interview with Fox News Channel’s Martha MacCallum on Tuesday night.

The next morning on CBS News, co-host John Dickerson asked Gowdy, “So you looked at this and you said what the FBI was doing was kosher, why does the president keep saying what he’s saying when he knows better?”

“I don’t know,” Gowdy responded.

During the interview, however, Gowdy seemed confused or mistaken about simple facts related to the investigation.

Trey Gowdy Didn’t Even See Documents He Claims Exonerate FBI On Spygate: Reports

For example, after suggesting that the word “spy” was not an appropriate characterization of the FBI’s use of a source who secretly tried to establish a relationship with Trump campaign affiliates in order to report back to the government, Gowdy said he’d never heard the term “spy” during his 20 years of criminal investigations. Note this exchange with co-host Norah O’Donnell:

O’DONNELL: Was there a spy?

GOWDY: That is not a term I’ve ever used in the criminal justice system. Undercover, informant, confidential informant, those are all words I’m familiar with. I’ve never heard the term spy used.

O’DONNELL: So when president says ‘spygate,’ there was no spy, and ‘inserted into the campaign’ — have you seen any evidence of that?

GOWDY: I have not. That’s an espionage term, that’s not a law enforcement term.

Sorry Transmistaken Try Again ....

Last edited:

Hijinx

The claims that Gowdy had somehow “refuted” allegations that the FBI used at least one informant to spy on the Trump operation are in direct conflict with confirmed reporting from The New York Times and Washington Post that the FBI did, in fact, use at least one individual to secretly collect information against the Trump campaign for use in the bureau’s anti-Trump investigative efforts. Gowdy himself suggests confirmation that such a government agent was used to secretly collect information on the Trump campaign.

The actual dispute is not whether the FBI used at least one person to spy — or secretly collect information — on people in Trump’s orbit, but whether this is something routinely done against Republican candidates and should be accepted uncritically, or whether it should be fully investigated by the media, the public, government watchdogs, and elected lawmakers obligated by the Constitution to conduct oversight on the agencies to which they appropriate taxpayer funding.

Gowdy’s curious exoneration of the FBI caught many by surprise given his work on the previous HPSCI report that found widespread abuse of surveillance procedures targeting the Trump campaign.

“I am even more convinced that the FBI did exactly what my fellow citizens would want them to do when they got the information they got,” Gowdy said in an interview with Fox News Channel’s Martha MacCallum on Tuesday night.

The next morning on CBS News, co-host John Dickerson asked Gowdy, “So you looked at this and you said what the FBI was doing was kosher, why does the president keep saying what he’s saying when he knows better?”

“I don’t know,” Gowdy responded.

During the interview, however, Gowdy seemed confused or mistaken about simple facts related to the investigation.

Trey Gowdy Didn’t Even See Documents He Claims Exonerate FBI On Spygate: Reports

For example, after suggesting that the word “spy” was not an appropriate characterization of the FBI’s use of a source who secretly tried to establish a relationship with Trump campaign affiliates in order to report back to the government, Gowdy said he’d never heard the term “spy” during his 20 years of criminal investigations. Note this exchange with co-host Norah O’Donnell:

GOWDY: That is not a term I’ve ever used in the criminal justice system. Undercover, informant, confidential informant, those are all words I’m familiar with. I’ve never heard the term spy used.

O’DONNELL: So when president says ‘spygate,’ there was no spy, and ‘inserted into the campaign’ — have you seen any evidence of that?

GOWDY: I have not. That’s an espionage term, that’s not a law enforcement term.

When Gowdy was around investigating various things he made a lot of noise.
I have said this before.
He mad noise, but he never actually hanged anyone.

As the old saying goes back in the cowboy times.
Show me one of his graveyards.

SamSpade

Best way to show something happened is for someone to deny it when it wasn't asked for...

[video]https://y.yarn.co/ae167353-57bd-4c8c-9d10-d462e802c9e9.mp4?1527770146535[/video]

transporter

Um...moron...what don't you understand? The quotes attributed to Mr. Gowdy are correct. He did say he sees no evidence of spying on the campaign.

And this quote you posted is irrelevant to the topic but the question is easily answered:

“I don’t know,” Gowdy responded

The answer to the question is that Trump is making sh!t up (as he always does) to fan the flames of his, largely, uneducated and ignorant base.

So...keep digging...see if you can find a news source that does its own work. See if you can find something that reports actual news instead of opinions about other new sources.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
you obviously missed the part

Reporting for CNN:

[TWITTER]https://twitter.com/sarahcwestwood/status/999751532273905668[/TWITTER]

[TWITTER]https://twitter.com/FaceTheNation/status/1000762124308766720[/TWITTER]

From the OP:

When asked by The Federalist whether Gowdy had seen all the documents Congress requested, a spokeswoman for Gowdy repeatedly declined to say what, if any, subpoenaed records Gowdy had reviewed during the roughly hour-long briefing.

and ....

and .....

Criminal Versus Counter-Intelligence Investigations

GOWDY: I have not. That’s an espionage term, that’s not a law enforcement term

Neither the hosts, nor Gowdy, seem to be aware that the FBI’s activities during and after the Trump campaign were part of a counterintelligence probe, not a criminal investigation.

This counterintelligence investigation was formally opened in July 2016, although work on the matter likely began before the investigation was formally launched. The counterintelligence investigation was first reported by The New York Times on October 31, 2016. It was confirmed by then-FBI director James Comey under oath on March 20, 2017, and again on May 3. The New York Times wrote up that briefing with the headline, “F.B.I. Is Investigating Trump’s Russia Ties, Comey Confirms“:

The F.B.I. director, James B. Comey, took the extraordinary step on Monday of announcing that the agency is investigating whether members of President Trump’s campaign colluded with Russia to influence the 2016 election….

Counterintelligence investigations are among the F.B.I.’s most difficult and time-consuming cases, meaning an investigation could hang over the Trump administration for years even though such inquiries rarely lead to criminal charges.

maybe we are just parsing the word 'SPY' VS 'Informant'

SamSpade

maybe we are just parsing the word 'SPY' VS 'Informant'

That's the way I read it, although I find it tremendously amusing that up until recently, Trump's remarks about people infiltrating his campaign
were laughingly dismissed by the press as paranoid delusions.

Now that it's clearly TRUE - they're parsing words that it wasn't "spying".

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I'm thinking Gowdy has sold out. First he announces his resignation, then he folds. Something ain't right.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
That's the way I read it, although I find it tremendously amusing that up until recently, Trump's remarks about people infiltrating his campaign
were laughingly dismissed by the press as paranoid delusions.

Now that it's clearly TRUE - they're parsing words that it wasn't "spying".

I think it's cute that the progs are insisting that this isn't anything at all like Watergate.

This_person

Um...moron...what don't you understand? The quotes attributed to Mr. Gowdy are correct. He did say he sees no evidence of spying on the campaign.

And this quote you posted is irrelevant to the topic but the question is easily answered:

“I don’t know,” Gowdy responded

If you are going to claim to quote Gowdy as saying there was no spying, you should find a quote where Gowdy says there was no spying. Gowdy did not say there was no spying, he said the FBI did what he, Mr. Gowdy, thinks they should have done with the allegations which they faced - they investigated those allegations.

Gowdy did not, ever, not even once (that I can find), say that there were no spies/informants. He said the FBI did what he believes the FBI should have done. He does not say what the FBI did beyond that they investigated.

Please show me where he said what you claim he said, your claim of "no evidence of spying."