Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 130

Thread: Yet another victim

  1. #11
    Board Mommy vraiblonde's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Off the grid
    Posts
    127,949
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by MiddleGround View Post
    I guess it will take a few more deaths to get our LEOs to actually do something other than cleanup work!
    What do you want them to do?
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    What do you want them to do?
    Better yet, what has he done? Made any effort to contact the county, planners, police...? Or just come here and bitch.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

  3. #13
    Power with Control glhs837's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    22,269
    Quote Originally Posted by RoseRed View Post
    I'll wait to pass judgement. He is one of my co-workers. Management will update us later today when they receive further word.
    Wasnt me, not many other riders in our building.


    Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    What do you want them to do?
    Maybe start doing more than occasional lip service enforcement of misuse of the turn lane. they spend far more enforecement time running radar than enforcing the turn lane. I know why, but disagree with that thought process. If folks knew there was a pretty good chance of getting a ticket for that they would do far less of it. Like blocking the box enforcement, doing it once a year for a day isnt enough.
    "I am capable of much unpleasantness."

  4. #14
    Board Mommy vraiblonde's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Off the grid
    Posts
    127,949
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    Maybe start doing more than occasional lip service enforcement of misuse of the turn lane. they spend far more enforecement time running radar than enforcing the turn lane. I know why, but disagree with that thought process. If folks knew there was a pretty good chance of getting a ticket for that they would do far less of it. Like blocking the box enforcement, doing it once a year for a day isnt enough.
    That's not the cops, though; it would have to be approved by the Sheriff and the State Police Commander, and the budget for it ultimately approved by the County Commissioners and whoever approves money for the Staties. Cops don't get to just choose where they're going to plant themselves; they get orders and schedules.

    Instead of being mad at the police, this needs to be taken up the chain to the decision makers and budget approvers. I am going to guess that they are more interested in increasing revenue than spending money. But that's just a guess. Blaming cops is like blaming your server because your food was bad or the prices too high.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    Better yet, what has he done? Made any effort to contact the county, planners, police...? Or just come here and bitch.
    Wow! Just took a post from your Commander-of-thought in Chief to get you on the anger wagon huh?

    Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    What do you want them to do?
    I don't know? THEIR JOB??!! Enforce the law?? Ticket or arrest those that break it!!

    As glhs mentioned, they could do more with traffic enforcement than just radar. Hell, they could set up for radar and get the other infractions while they are there.

    And, your analogy is crap. If my server was directly responsible for cooking the food or setting the prices (as far as I know, the LEO that patrols are directly responsible for enforcing the law) then it might add up.
    I am not a PREMO member and therefore, am not afforded the protections of such.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    Cops don't get to just choose where they're going to plant themselves; they get orders and schedules.


    One of my good friends is a retired state trooper. The officers were able to camp out wherever they A) were legally allowed to; and B) thought it would garner them the best results.

    The "orders" they received for the shift were general service orders (i.e. traffic, patrol, etc.)
    I am not a PREMO member and therefore, am not afforded the protections of such.

  7. #17
    Power with Control glhs837's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    22,269
    Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    That's not the cops, though; it would have to be approved by the Sheriff and the State Police Commander, and the budget for it ultimately approved by the County Commissioners and whoever approves money for the Staties. Cops don't get to just choose where they're going to plant themselves; they get orders and schedules.

    Instead of being mad at the police, this needs to be taken up the chain to the decision makers and budget approvers. I am going to guess that they are more interested in increasing revenue than spending money. But that's just a guess. Blaming cops is like blaming your server because your food was bad or the prices too high.
    Dont mistake me, I mean "police" in the overall sense, not the officers in the cars. They dont choose what type of enforcement to engage in. It's leadership that makes those calls, as you note. And I'm not mad, just resigned. After actually spending some time engaging with officers about this, and the how and whys of it, I came to realize that expecting it to change is a pretty forlorn hope. Enforcement hours usually come from grant money. Grant money is awared based on performance. Performance is basedon metrics. Part of which is total citations. Given that speeding is by far the best citation/officer hour ratio, we get a lot of that. Enforcing turn lanes, improper lane changes, failure to yeild right of way, those take far more officer hours per citation and so take a back seat. It's not a revenue thing, the department still loses money, so to speak. Even speed enfocement, they cant issue enought tickets to pay for the officer and his equipment on an hourly rate.

    The last peiec of the puzzle is the reason officers in cars, who know all this, dont raise a ruckus themselves. They dont give a rats ass about all the above. But, the more cars they pull over, the more citizens they interact with. And the more citizens they interact with, the more dirtbags, real bad guys, they can find. And all else being equal, officers are good people who want more than anything esel to get bad guys off the roads and into jail. So to them, speed enforcent, even though they know it doesnt make traffic safer, it does make the citizenry safer and that they like.
    "I am capable of much unpleasantness."

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    Dont mistake me, I mean "police" in the overall sense, not the officers in the cars. They dont choose what type of enforcement to engage in. It's leadership that makes those calls, as you note. And I'm not mad, just resigned. After actually spending some time engaging with officers about this, and the how and whys of it, I came to realize that expecting it to change is a pretty forlorn hope. Enforcement hours usually come from grant money. Grant money is awared based on performance. Performance is basedon metrics. Part of which is total citations. Given that speeding is by far the best citation/officer hour ratio, we get a lot of that. Enforcing turn lanes, improper lane changes, failure to yeild right of way, those take far more officer hours per citation and so take a back seat. It's not a revenue thing, the department still loses money, so to speak. Even speed enfocement, they cant issue enought tickets to pay for the officer and his equipment on an hourly rate.

    The last peiec of the puzzle is the reason officers in cars, who know all this, dont raise a ruckus themselves. They dont give a rats ass about all the above. But, the more cars they pull over, the more citizens they interact with. And the more citizens they interact with, the more dirtbags, real bad guys, they can find. And all else being equal, officers are good people who want more than anything esel to get bad guys off the roads and into jail. So to them, speed enforcent, even though they know it doesnt make traffic safer, it does make the citizenry safer and that they like.
    Very good reply

    To add... you can bet your damn dollars that if and when someone of significance (commissioner, official, etc) OR someone who will outrage the public gets run over by one of these azzholes, I bet they find the money they need then. Guaran-damn-tee ya!
    I am not a PREMO member and therefore, am not afforded the protections of such.

  9. #19
    American Beauty RoseRed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2001
    Location
    My own private Idaho
    Posts
    78,553
    Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    Wasnt me, not many other riders in our building.
    I'm not in your building anymore. I moved last year to another project. Besides, I saw you on the side of the road after your last accident out gate 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by kom526 View Post
    Dear Baby Jesus lying in a crib in Bethlehem,
    I thank your divine intervention that I was not drinking anything when I read this post.

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by MiddleGround View Post
    Wow! Just took a post from your Commander-of-thought in Chief to get you on the anger wagon huh?
    Have you done anything, called anyone, voiced your concerns anywhere except on this forum?
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Members who have read this thread: 50

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |