Yet another victim

MiddleGround

Anyone driving NB on 235 around 4:30pm yesterday got to experience the aftermath of yet another instance of superior merge/turn lane driving! Another cycle rider did their best Superman impression while driving 60MPH down the lane that is designed and supposed to be used for merging or turning on/off odf 235. NOT A THRU LANE!!

I cringe every time I am at a stand still outside the Deloitte building and I see traffic part to allow people to make that U-turn because I just know some jackass is racing up the merge lane to avoid having to wait. I guess it will take a few more deaths to get our LEOs to actually do something other than cleanup work!

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Anyone driving NB on 235 around 4:30pm yesterday got to experience the aftermath of yet another instance of superior merge/turn lane driving! Another cycle rider did their best Superman impression while driving 60MPH down the lane that is designed and supposed to be used for merging or turning on/off odf 235. NOT A THRU LANE!!

I cringe every time I am at a stand still outside the Deloitte building and I see traffic part to allow people to make that U-turn because I just know some jackass is racing up the merge lane to avoid having to wait. I guess it will take a few more deaths to get our LEOs to actually do something other than cleanup work!

I don’t travel the 235 corridor very often during rush hour, but when I do I see all kinds of shenanigans to get ahead. Turn lanes as thru lanes, right turns and UB’s, turning around in parking lots etc.
If you actually do all of this, how much time do you save from Gate 2 to Route 4?
Just wondering.....use an MPD if you have to.

DogWhisperer

I was in that mess yesterday and trying to get to MedExpress when some clown with PTP Training decals all over his truck and an American flag hanging off the backend blocked me from using the right turn lane to get the clinic. I'm sure he thought I was trying to get in front of everyone but is the traffic getting that bad that we have to have lane Nazis? I try to never travel 235 that time of day and typically don't have to.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

I'll wait to pass judgement. He is one of my co-workers. Management will update us later today when they receive further word.

luvmygdaughters

Just an FYI, there is a concert in Solomons tomorrow night. I would advise leaving early to anyone who works on the base!!

MiddleGround

I was in that mess yesterday and trying to get to MedExpress when some clown with PTP Training decals all over his truck and an American flag hanging off the backend blocked me from using the right turn lane to get the clinic. I'm sure he thought I was trying to get in front of everyone but is the traffic getting that bad that we have to have lane Nazis? I try to never travel 235 that time of day and typically don't have to.

The MedExpress clinic is well north of where the accident occurred. I would guess you are correct about the lane Nazi though. Too many people get into the RIGHT TURN ONLY lane at that intersection only to zoom right through it in order to get ahead of people waiting to line up to go over the bridge.

On another note, right after getting through the motorcycle accident, I couldn't help but see the older guy in the jean jacket riding the Harley that was doing 60MPH in the turn lane and zoomed right through the RIGHT TURN ONLY intersection by the BAE building. I guess people just don't GAF when they see that someone was just launched off their crotch rocket.

MiddleGround

I'll wait to pass judgement. He is one of my co-workers. Management will update us later today when they receive further word.

I can understand your position however, there really isn't that much to decypher. It was pretty straight forward. Motorcycle was moving quite quickly up the turn/merge lane and T-boned the black sedan that was trying to make a U-turn. If you look at the dent in the sedan, you can easily see that the bike was moving very fast (even with last second braking)

I hope your co-worker is Ok.

mAlice

professional daydreamer

I hated working in that building. I needed to travel south when I got off work, but I had to travel north to the light just to find a safe place to turn around. Of course, no one would ever let me over, so I either had to use the right merge/turn lane to the first light (going behind Wawa), or I would have to travel all the way to Hollywood just to make a U-turn. I've seen a few accidents right in front of Deloitte.

MiddleGround

I've seen a few accidents right in front of Deloitte.

Starting with that motorcycle rider that flew into the woods and died a while back, I have personally seen 4 accidents at that very spot! Always the same story too.

Every time I see the traffic part to allow someone to make a U-turn, I just look in my side mirror and... :popcorn:

People just don't realize that the shortest distance between two points is not necessarily a straight line. I never use that turn-around. I always go a few feet further to the large turn-around at the BBQ place, or if it's rush hour, up to the next light.

As I pass the Deloitte u-turn, I take note of the cars waiting. I go down the road, make my u-turn and head back north. Again, as I pass the Deloitte u-turn, I see the same cars still waiting in line to u-turn.

glhs837

Power with Control

Wasnt me, not many other riders in our building.

What do you want them to do?

Maybe start doing more than occasional lip service enforcement of misuse of the turn lane. they spend far more enforecement time running radar than enforcing the turn lane. I know why, but disagree with that thought process. If folks knew there was a pretty good chance of getting a ticket for that they would do far less of it. Like blocking the box enforcement, doing it once a year for a day isnt enough.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Maybe start doing more than occasional lip service enforcement of misuse of the turn lane. they spend far more enforecement time running radar than enforcing the turn lane. I know why, but disagree with that thought process. If folks knew there was a pretty good chance of getting a ticket for that they would do far less of it. Like blocking the box enforcement, doing it once a year for a day isnt enough.

That's not the cops, though; it would have to be approved by the Sheriff and the State Police Commander, and the budget for it ultimately approved by the County Commissioners and whoever approves money for the Staties. Cops don't get to just choose where they're going to plant themselves; they get orders and schedules.

Instead of being mad at the police, this needs to be taken up the chain to the decision makers and budget approvers. I am going to guess that they are more interested in increasing revenue than spending money. But that's just a guess. Blaming cops is like blaming your server because your food was bad or the prices too high.

MiddleGround

Better yet, what has he done? Made any effort to contact the county, planners, police...? Or just come here and bitch.

Wow! Just took a post from your Commander-of-thought in Chief to get you on the anger wagon huh?

What do you want them to do?

I don't know? THEIR JOB??!! Enforce the law?? Ticket or arrest those that break it!!

As glhs mentioned, they could do more with traffic enforcement than just radar. Hell, they could set up for radar and get the other infractions while they are there.

And, your analogy is crap. If my server was directly responsible for cooking the food or setting the prices (as far as I know, the LEO that patrols are directly responsible for enforcing the law) then it might add up.

MiddleGround

Cops don't get to just choose where they're going to plant themselves; they get orders and schedules.

:bs:

One of my good friends is a retired state trooper. The officers were able to camp out wherever they A) were legally allowed to; and B) thought it would garner them the best results.

The "orders" they received for the shift were general service orders (i.e. traffic, patrol, etc.)

glhs837

Power with Control
That's not the cops, though; it would have to be approved by the Sheriff and the State Police Commander, and the budget for it ultimately approved by the County Commissioners and whoever approves money for the Staties. Cops don't get to just choose where they're going to plant themselves; they get orders and schedules.

Instead of being mad at the police, this needs to be taken up the chain to the decision makers and budget approvers. I am going to guess that they are more interested in increasing revenue than spending money. But that's just a guess. Blaming cops is like blaming your server because your food was bad or the prices too high.

Dont mistake me, I mean "police" in the overall sense, not the officers in the cars. They dont choose what type of enforcement to engage in. It's leadership that makes those calls, as you note. And I'm not mad, just resigned. After actually spending some time engaging with officers about this, and the how and whys of it, I came to realize that expecting it to change is a pretty forlorn hope. Enforcement hours usually come from grant money. Grant money is awared based on performance. Performance is basedon metrics. Part of which is total citations. Given that speeding is by far the best citation/officer hour ratio, we get a lot of that. Enforcing turn lanes, improper lane changes, failure to yeild right of way, those take far more officer hours per citation and so take a back seat. It's not a revenue thing, the department still loses money, so to speak. Even speed enfocement, they cant issue enought tickets to pay for the officer and his equipment on an hourly rate.

The last peiec of the puzzle is the reason officers in cars, who know all this, dont raise a ruckus themselves. They dont give a rats ass about all the above. But, the more cars they pull over, the more citizens they interact with. And the more citizens they interact with, the more dirtbags, real bad guys, they can find. And all else being equal, officers are good people who want more than anything esel to get bad guys off the roads and into jail. So to them, speed enforcent, even though they know it doesnt make traffic safer, it does make the citizenry safer and that they like.

MiddleGround

Dont mistake me, I mean "police" in the overall sense, not the officers in the cars. They dont choose what type of enforcement to engage in. It's leadership that makes those calls, as you note. And I'm not mad, just resigned. After actually spending some time engaging with officers about this, and the how and whys of it, I came to realize that expecting it to change is a pretty forlorn hope. Enforcement hours usually come from grant money. Grant money is awared based on performance. Performance is basedon metrics. Part of which is total citations. Given that speeding is by far the best citation/officer hour ratio, we get a lot of that. Enforcing turn lanes, improper lane changes, failure to yeild right of way, those take far more officer hours per citation and so take a back seat. It's not a revenue thing, the department still loses money, so to speak. Even speed enfocement, they cant issue enought tickets to pay for the officer and his equipment on an hourly rate.

The last peiec of the puzzle is the reason officers in cars, who know all this, dont raise a ruckus themselves. They dont give a rats ass about all the above. But, the more cars they pull over, the more citizens they interact with. And the more citizens they interact with, the more dirtbags, real bad guys, they can find. And all else being equal, officers are good people who want more than anything esel to get bad guys off the roads and into jail. So to them, speed enforcent, even though they know it doesnt make traffic safer, it does make the citizenry safer and that they like.

Very good reply :yay:

To add... you can bet your damn dollars that if and when someone of significance (commissioner, official, etc) OR someone who will outrage the public gets run over by one of these azzholes, I bet they find the money they need then. Guaran-damn-tee ya!