USS Arizona Memorial Closed Indefinitely

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I guess I'll just have to time my visit to when it reopens.

https://www.military.com/daily-news...losed-indefinitely.html?ESRC=navy-a_180530.nl

HONOLULU -- Damage to the USS Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor in Honolulu was worse than expected and it will remain closed indefinitely, officials said.
Boat transportation to the attraction was suspended May 6 after one of the vessel operators noticed a crack on the outside of the memorial, Hawaii News Now reported.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Dang. I've always wanted to go there...but I'm never in Hawaii except for business, with little free time, and always told myself "I'll catch the memorial next time". ;-(

awpitt

Main Streeter
Dang. I've always wanted to go there...but I'm never in Hawaii except for business, with little free time, and always told myself "I'll catch the memorial next time". ;-(

Been there twice. Both while in HI for work. Hopefully they'll get it fixed and you'll have a chance to go.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

I was there for work three years ago and stayed for a few extra days to do some site seeing, including the memorial. Last time I was there was 1982ish...

black dog

Free America
It was Christmas - New year in 81 for the 40th anniversary.. we stayed in Maui and spent the last two days in Pearl.. The movie footage we watched was impressive before being shuttled out to the Memorial. I wonder if diesel is still leaking?....

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
It was Christmas - New year in 81 for the 40th anniversary.. we stayed in Maui and spent the last two days in Pearl.. The movie footage we watched was impressive before being shuttled out to the Memorial. I wonder if diesel is still leaking?....

It still leaks. My grandfather took movies from Hickham during the bombing. They were confiscated. :eek:hwell;

black dog

Free America
It still leaks. My grandfather took movies from Hickham during the bombing. They were confiscated. :eek:hwell;

I figured, I have a few post cards in the picture book and flag we bought there that show aerial photos of the diesel leaking into the harbor and out to sea.

Big ups to your grandfather, That had to be a day...

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I figured, I have a few post cards in the picture book and flag we bought there that show aerial photos of the diesel leaking into the harbor and out to sea.

Big ups to your grandfather, That had to be a day...

Yes, it's a shame. My Grandmother told me that some of the films shown in movies were his. He and my GreatGrandfather were both there. My Dad was 5 days shy of turning 5 and he remembers watching from their yard up on the hill.

acommondisaster

Used to work across the street from it. Lots of good memories of hanging out on the lanai at work, listening to colors and watching the sun set behind the memorial.