Solo

SamSpade

This marks the first time in MANY years I have seen a Star Wars movie on the first weekend of release.
It helped that I was vacationing in a small town where very few vacationers had any intent on watching a movie on Memorial Day weekend.

I liked it. Not nearly as much as Rogue One - the first of the separate Star Wars movies that are single story and not part of the continuing narrative -
but there was a lot going for that one. For example, none of the characters appearing in Rogue One were familiar to audiences, so you never
knew who would survive to the end. As it so happens - NONE of them did. The point of the entire movie was to show how brave souls retrieved
a vital piece of intel to defeat the empire. And it also cleared up a fan objection to how a weakness was so easily exploited (hint - INTENTIONAL).

But the actor playing Solo pretty much nails the swagger, the pacing, the lying to cover your ass - unconvincingly - it was easy to see how this character
would turn into the lovable "scoundrel" we all met much later. The story has a few interesting twists here and there, not terribly surprising when they occur -
there's the inevitable cameo by Ron Howard's brother Clint.

It leaves one or two unanswered questions - probably never to be answered - and a few appearances that are unexpected.

I enjoyed it - possibly enough to see it a second time on TV.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Thanks for the review. I haven't seen a Star Wars since Revenge Of the Sith, but I thought Solo looked interesting.

SamSpade

Thanks for the review. I haven't seen a Star Wars since Revenge Of the Sith, but I thought Solo looked interesting.

While I generally liked The Force Awakens and Last Jedi, Rogue One really delivers a fun exciting movie. It almost matches the humor of the first and easily beats it in terms of action and suspense.

SamSpade

I have read that tons of money was lost on this movie.

I've heard - and read - a lot of unfair criticism. I've seen it before in good sci-fi movies that were VERY badly marketed.
(Read: John Carter)
But how much of the trailers for Solo really give you a feel for what the movie is about?
For Rogue One, almost every utterance from K-2SO was hilarious - but they were also in the trailers.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I watched the first 3 Star Wars movies again last weekend and hope to catch this one in the theater.

Thought this funny. :lol:

han solo.jpg