Greetings from Mobile, AL!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We had, um, an adventurous time trying to get on the road today. :lol: It's a long story so I'll let Monello tell it because he likes that.

Our campground is super cute! Only 41 spots, all landscaped and potted flowers; they have two small social pavilions set up with lounge chairs, tables, more potted plants. It's very inviting. They chalk everyone's name on their campsite - very welcoming and sets a nice tone.

We got in fairly late because, well, we left really late. Had dinner at Dick Russell's BBQ - it was merely okay and I'm not happy with it being our Alabama BBQ representative. The meat was great, but it was covered in sauce that I thought was too sweet. But maybe that's how they do it in Alabama. I'm a Texas BBQ girl: naked smoked meat and you sauce it yourself with a lovely spicy concoction, but it doesn't need it. They did have killer amazing onion rings - quite possibly the best I've ever had. Crisp savory crust and the onion was slightly crunchy.

Tomorrow I have to work, but hope to get everything knocked out so we can go exploring.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I thought you were, already, there. Like I said in another thread, I lived there for 4 years, and loved it. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I thought you were, already, there. Like I said in another thread, I lived there for 4 years, and loved it. Hope you enjoy your stay.

What food is typical Alabama? Like Maine has lobster, Maryland has crabs, Louisiana has boudin. What does Alabama have as a claim to fame?

What are some must see places? We are here for a long week so it's sort of now or never if we are going to see something down this way. It's going to be in the 90s all next week so I might want to do a few things that involve air conditioning.

littlelady

God bless the USA
What food is typical Alabama? Like Maine has lobster, Maryland has crabs, Louisiana has boudin. What does Alabama have as a claim to fame?

What are some must see places? We are here for a long week so it's sort of now or never if we are going to see something down this way. It's going to be in the 90s all next week so I might want to do a few things that involve air conditioning.

As far as typical food, there is nothing Mobile is famous for other than traditional southern food like fried chicken, fried green tomatoes, biscuits/gravy, etc. I am not the best person to ask about where to dine out, because I have, rarely, done that all my life. But, I do recommend Wintzells Oyster House. I saw most of what there is to see in Mobile, but I found this site for you, which sums it up, nicely. https://alabama.travel/places-to-go/mobile

As far as the heat and humidity, I lived in a house built in 1905 with no ac, just ceiling fans. I got used to it because I am from NOLA. :hot: My hair has always been frizzy. :lol: I lived in the neighborhood/vicinity of Oakleigh Manor. https://www.historicoakleigh.com/

I hope y’all enjoy your time there. Safe travels.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It is hotter than blazing hell here. Temp says 82, but it feels a lot warmer than that.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It is hotter than blazing hell here. Temp says 82, but it feels a lot warmer than that.

ahh yes...welcome to the central gulf coast in the summer. I've spent too many summer days working in the shipyards in Mobile, Pascagoula, Gulfport, Amelia, Huoma,..ick.

Monello

PREMO Member
What is going rate now for a site with full hookup?

We are getting the weekly rate. Most weekly rates are about the same as 4-5 nightly rates. We try to stay for the entire month but we have to be in Texas by July 1st, so a week at 4 places works best.

Monello

PREMO Member
Here are a few pictures of this place. It leans more towards bed and breakfast than it does a campground.

This is the laundry room and bathhouse. Lots of flowers lend a very cozy vibe to it.
DSCF9576.jpg

1 of the pavillions near the pool
DSCF9577.jpg

The pool
DSCF9579.jpg

Bath house sink and mirror. Repurposed window. Sink bowl is good quality. It's hard to get a good picture with not much room to work with.

DSCF9580.jpg

Main street
DSCF9583.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF9580.jpg
    DSCF9580.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 326

littlelady

God bless the USA
Knowing Monello is an avid fisherman, the tarpon is the official state saltwater fish. Good eats. And, I know y’all like to mix with the locals. Dauphin Street is where y’all will find that ambience.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We took a ride down to Dauphin Island yesterday. It's where you'd vacation to *really* get away from everything. There's no big commercial area, just a couple of restaurants dotted around. The closest grocery store is on the mainland, about 10 miles away. Reminded me of OBX. If you vacationed at DI, you would likely stay in one of the many beach cottages that line the shore and are quite reasonably priced:

DSCN5682.JPG

We have a favorable impression of LA (that's "lower Alabama", ya'll) and the people who live here. Today we're going to downtown Mobile for a festival.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Oh my gosh, SO cute!

We went to Mardi Gras Park in downtown Mobile for their Go Mobile festival. The fest itself wasn't all that - except for the fancy popsicles that I've become addicted to - and it was hotter than blazing hell today. I have never sweated so much for such as prolonged a period.

But we walked down Dauphin St., which is their "come drink and eat" street. Found Alchemy bar, which couldn't be any cuter. And now dinner is ready so I'll come back to this....

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Oh my gosh, SO cute!

We went to Mardi Gras Park in downtown Mobile for their Go Mobile festival. The fest itself wasn't all that - except for the fancy popsicles that I've become addicted to - and it was hotter than blazing hell today. I have never sweated so much for such as prolonged a period.

But we walked down Dauphin St., which is their "come drink and eat" street. Found Alchemy bar, which couldn't be any cuter. And now dinner is ready so I'll come back to this....

:snacks:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So anyway, it annoys me that my alcohol capacity has gone so far down. So many cute little bars, so few beers I can drink in a time period. And so many wonderful craft beers! Today at our first stop I had two Sierra Nevada unfiltered pilsners. I normally snub a pilsner because they're boring, but this one had some ass to it. Quite tasty, yet still light and refreshing. Second stop - the illustrious Alchemy bar - was two vanilla somethings that the bartender recommended. The aroma of a baked good, but it was light and low ABV. On the way home we stopped at Rouses Market and I thought I needed a six of Lazy Magnolia's Southern Pecan beer. By sheer force of will I drank one with dinner and am completely done. I used to be able to kill a six and still do rocket surgery.

:frown:

Anyway, Mobile is a great little city - although hotter than hell.

Bann

PREMO Member
So anyway, it annoys me that my alcohol capacity has gone so far down. So many cute little bars, so few beers I can drink in a time period. And so many wonderful craft beers! Today at our first stop I had two Sierra Nevada unfiltered pilsners. I normally snub a pilsner because they're boring, but this one had some ass to it. Quite tasty, yet still light and refreshing. Second stop - the illustrious Alchemy bar - was two vanilla somethings that the bartender recommended. The aroma of a baked good, but it was light and low ABV. On the way home we stopped at Rouses Market and I thought I needed a six of Lazy Magnolia's Southern Pecan beer. By sheer force of will I drank one with dinner and am completely done. I used to be able to kill a six and still do rocket surgery.

:frown:

Anyway, Mobile is a great little city - although hotter than hell.

Maybe it's the heat?

That pecan beer sounds yum! :yum:

Bann

PREMO Member
This place looks like another really awesome find! KUDOS to Vrai for her talent in finding these spots! (We really loved our stay at the place in PCB when we visited!)

:notworthy