Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Greetings from Mobile, AL!

Blog Entries

Greetings from Mobile, AL!

We had, um, an adventurous time trying to get on the road today. It's a long story so I'll let Monello tell it because he likes that.

Our campground is super cute! Only 41 spots, all landscaped and potted flowers; they have two small social pavilions set up with lounge chairs, tables, more potted plants. It's very inviting. They chalk everyone's name on their campsite - very welcoming and sets a nice tone.

We got in fairly late because, well, we left really late. Had dinner at Dick Russell's BBQ - it was merely okay and I'm not happy with it being our Alabama BBQ representative. The meat was great, but it was covered in sauce that I thought was too sweet. But maybe that's how they do it in Alabama. I'm a Texas BBQ girl: naked smoked meat and you sauce it yourself with a lovely spicy concoction, but it doesn't need it. They did have killer amazing onion rings - quite possibly the best I've ever had. Crisp savory crust and the onion was slightly crunchy.

Tomorrow I have to work, but hope to get everything knocked out so we can go exploring.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

I thought you were, already, there. Like I said in another thread, I lived there for 4 years, and loved it. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I thought you were, already, there. Like I said in another thread, I lived there for 4 years, and loved it. Hope you enjoy your stay.
    What food is typical Alabama? Like Maine has lobster, Maryland has crabs, Louisiana has boudin. What does Alabama have as a claim to fame?

What are some must see places? We are here for a long week so it's sort of now or never if we are going to see something down this way. It's going to be in the 90s all next week so I might want to do a few things that involve air conditioning.
    War = Peace
    Freedom = Slavery
    Diversity = Strength

Monello thinks he is king of the forum, now. Just keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Monello View Post
    What food is typical Alabama? Like Maine has lobster, Maryland has crabs, Louisiana has boudin. What does Alabama have as a claim to fame?

What are some must see places? We are here for a long week so it's sort of now or never if we are going to see something down this way. It's going to be in the 90s all next week so I might want to do a few things that involve air conditioning.
    As far as typical food, there is nothing Mobile is famous for other than traditional southern food like fried chicken, fried green tomatoes, biscuits/gravy, etc. I am not the best person to ask about where to dine out, because I have, rarely, done that all my life. But, I do recommend Wintzells Oyster House. I saw most of what there is to see in Mobile, but I found this site for you, which sums it up, nicely. https://alabama.travel/places-to-go/mobile

As far as the heat and humidity, I lived in a house built in 1905 with no ac, just ceiling fans. I got used to it because I am from NOLA. My hair has always been frizzy. I lived in the neighborhood/vicinity of Oakleigh Manor. https://www.historicoakleigh.com/

I hope y’all enjoy your time there. Safe travels.
    Last edited by littlelady; 06-02-2018 at 02:57 AM.

Blog Entries
    It is hotter than blazing hell here. Temp says 82, but it feels a lot warmer than that.
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

What is going rate now for a site with full hookup?

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    It is hotter than blazing hell here. Temp says 82, but it feels a lot warmer than that.
    ahh yes...welcome to the central gulf coast in the summer. I've spent too many summer days working in the shipyards in Mobile, Pascagoula, Gulfport, Amelia, Huoma,..ick.
    "I've got to start eating at home more" - J. Dahmer

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWhat View Post
    Anywhere from $20 to $120 per night. Depends on where you go and how long you stay.
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Blog Entries
    We are getting the weekly rate. Most weekly rates are about the same as 4-5 nightly rates. We try to stay for the entire month but we have to be in Texas by July 1st, so a week at 4 places works best.
    War = Peace
    Freedom = Slavery
    Diversity = Strength

Monello thinks he is king of the forum, now. Just keep that in mind.

Blog Entries
    Or are you talking about specifically here? All About Relaxing RV Resort in Mobile rate is $392.40 for 9 days, full hookups, pull through.
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Members who have read this thread: 49