Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting out of town, not as easy as you think

Quote Originally Posted by Monello View Post
    I have a blue is tow bar that is attached to the rv. Blueoxtowbars.com

A hell of a lot easier than that hell tow dolly.
    My parents first started using a tow dolly when they started their fulltime RV'ing.
    Total hell.

Blog Entries

The hits just keep on coming

Yesterday was get out of town day. Towing the new Jeep is still not a routine for us. We have to use the manual to disconnect the drive. Then there is the issue of the steering wheel that has it's own mechanism to de energize it, so the wheels will turn when it's towed.

The Jeep came with 2 key fobs. I've rented a few cars that had fobs but I'm not familiar with them. They get the car to start and for me that's where it ends. The Jeep has a key entry on the driver's door only. More on this in a moment.

After we get the Jeep hooked up and it passes our initial inspection we start to head out. I then realize that I forgot to remove the GPS from the Jeep and move it to the RV. I stop then I realize that the Jeep is de energized but the doors are locked. The last time we towed I didn't lock the Jeep doors. I have 2 fobs but no key to open the door from the outside.

We stop and get gas about 3 miles up the road. I'm weighing my options when Vrai comes to the rescue. While I was scratching my chin wondering what to do, she announces happily that she has solved the key fob rubix cube problem. It turns out the door key is actually hidden inside the key fob. I wasn't aware of this and when I bought the Jeep it wasn't pointed out to me. I guess if I didn't wait 10 plus years to upgrade my vehicle, I would have been aware of this.

So we hugged and got a good laugh out of my ignorance of certain modern devices. We rolled down the road and got to our new campground in pastoral Livingston, LA. We are a short jaunt to Baton Rouge from here.

So once again what appeared to be a disaster was actually a minor irritant for a short while. I should have bought a lottery ticket because I thought my afternoon would be spent waiting on a locksmith. Oh happy dayz.
    War = Peace
    Freedom = Slavery
    Diversity = Strength

Monello thinks he is king of the forum, now. Just keep that in mind.

Blog Entries
    she announces happily that she has solved the key fob rubix cube problem.
    I knew the key had to be in the fob somehow but they sure didn't want to make it easy to find. We had both looked at that fob before and that tiny little release button didn't exactly jump out at us.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

You should have asked. Never had to use mine yet but I am aware of it, use it to cut the tape on boxes sometimes :) That Blue ox setup looks sweet, I watched the install video the other day. Also love that the Jeep is set up out of the box to flat tow with nothing more than a simple button press and a couple other steps. When I told the wife that it gets towed in Park, she was a bit freaked out :)
    "I aim to misbehave."

Towing the new Jeep is still not a routine for us. We have to use the manual to disconnect the drive.

so you are flat towing the jeep ?

is the transfer case output shaft bearing lubed by the spinning of the drive shaft ?

[sometimes the oil if flung around by a different part]
    We’re tempted to suggest a conspiracy here — but it’s just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply can’t conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

“Moral precepts are constant through the ages and not obedient to circumstances.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    That Blue ox setup looks sweet, I watched the install video the other day. Also love that the Jeep is set up out of the box to flat tow with nothing more than a simple button press and a couple other steps. When I told the wife that it gets towed in Park, she was a bit freaked out :)
    Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    so you are flat towing the jeep ?

is the transfer case output shaft bearing lubed by the spinning of the drive shaft ?

[sometimes the oil if flung around by a different part]
    These are the steps necessary to flat tow a 2017 Jeep Cherokee:
    1. Bring the vehicle to a complete stop on level ground,and shift the transmission to PARK.
    2. Turn the engine OFF.
    3. Turn the ignition to the ON/RUN mode, but do not startthe engine.
    4. Press and hold the brake pedal.
    5. Shift the transmission into NEUTRAL.
    6. Using a ballpoint pen or similar object, push and holdthe recessed NEUTRAL (N) button (located by theselector switch) for four seconds. The light behind the Nsymbol will blink, indicating shift in progress. The lightwill stop blinking (stay on solid) when the shift toNEUTRAL (N) is complete
    7. After the shift is completed and the NEUTRAL (N) lightstays on, release the NEUTRAL (N) button.
    8. Start the engine.
    9. Release the parking brake.
    10. Shift the transmission into REVERSE.
    11. Release the brake pedal for five seconds and ensurethat there is no vehicle movement.
    12. Shift the transmission to NEUTRAL.
    13. Apply the parking brake.
    14. Shift the transmission into PARK, turn the engine OFF,and remove the key fob.
    15. Attach the vehicle to the tow vehicle using a suitabletow bar.
    16. Turn the ignition to the ON/RUN mode, but do notstart the engine.
    17. Press and hold the brake pedal.
    18. Release the parking brake.
    19. Turn the ignition OFF, remove the key fob, and releasethe brake pedal.

Then we have to put a fuse in the wiring harness then active the harness via a switch in the armrest console.
    So far we use a 2 person process where Vrai reads the manual step by step and I reply when each step is done. My 2002 Ford Explorer was a lot easier to tow. But I'm stuck with the Jeep for now.
    War = Peace
    Freedom = Slavery
    Diversity = Strength

Blog Entries

So far we use a 2 person process where Vrai reads the manual step by step and I reply when each step is done. My 2002 Ford Explorer was a lot easier to tow. But I'm stuck with the Jeep for now.
    WOW.. all the 4WD I've had was place gear selector in N.. shift Transfer Case into N.. GO!!
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

Oh How I Long For The Days when all you had was a simple D-20 or NP 203/205
    We’re tempted to suggest a conspiracy here — but it’s just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply can’t conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

“Moral precepts are constant through the ages and not obedient to circumstances.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    D-20 or NP 203/205
    Can you translate this for those of us who aren't fluent in GURPS?
    War = Peace
    Freedom = Slavery
    Diversity = Strength

Can you translate this for those of us who aren't fluent in GURPS?
    Old School Transfer Cases

Dana 20

New Process 203 or 205

Members who have read this thread: 52