Garbage/trash services you'd recommend?

I'm in the process of closing on a house (in Charles county), and need to start trash pickup service. Does anyone have any recommendations? This can be for or against. Thanks!!

SamSpade

I don't live in Charles County - but I just make a run to the transfer stations once a week.
Costs me nothing.

But I used to pay Waste Management, and I hated it. They always had a reason why this or that
couldn't be picked up, or what container you could use, or how they'd do their billing.

And other people in my neighborhood balked as well. Those who PAY someone usually find
a small dedicated business with a truck and a couple employees. Same thing happened when
I lived in Calvert - find some small business that is reliable, and stick with THEM.

Much better than dealing with the big guys.

Goldenhawk

Third for Evergreen. I'm very happy with the price and service, except for one detail: they recognize several holidays, and since our trash pickups are Mon/Thurs, and most federal holidays are on Monday, they skip those pickups. Now, that would be okay except that their "makeup day" for Monday is Thursday - which means they just skip Monday instead of really making it up. That's not a huge deal, unless I have too much stuff to fit in the can in the course of an entire week between Thursdays.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Third for Evergreen. I'm very happy with the price and service, except for one detail: they recognize several holidays, and since our trash pickups are Mon/Thurs, and most federal holidays are on Monday, they skip those pickups. Now, that would be okay except that their "makeup day" for Monday is Thursday - which means they just skip Monday instead of really making it up. That's not a huge deal, unless I have too much stuff to fit in the can in the course of an entire week between Thursdays.

When I first signed up with Evergreen, my pick up was Mon & Thu. About a year ago, they moved it to Tuesday & Friday so now I don't have to deal with the Monday holiday issue.

nutz

Second vote for Ambers, good service and a reasonable price. Forgot to pay the bill once and got a very polite phone call asking if I forgot BEFORE they cut service.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I live in Calvert and use Ambers, as well. They were recommended by and took over for Ace Hauling, when the owner was unable to continue in the business. We really loved Ace.

We pay $75.00 every quarter and they pick up every Thursday.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
When I first signed up with Evergreen, my pick up was Mon & Thu. About a year ago, they moved it to Tuesday & Friday so now I don't have to deal with the Monday holiday issue.

We are still on Mon - Thurs with Evergreen. It's a rare week when we have enough trash for both days, since it's just Anita, me and the cats 99% of the time.

Hannibal

We used to haul directly to the landfill down MD-5 between Waldorf and Bryantown when I lived in Waldorf. Was easy enough with a pickup truck and I was going every so often anyhow due to house projects. At some point, they changed up their pricing. I THINK (as it's been a few years) that I paid by the ton and their set rate but then they changed it to some ridiculously high flat rate. Or maybe it was vice versa. Either way, it was such an extreme change that it actually became cost prohibitive to continue.

We then started with Waste Management. Paid for 1-2 years or service to take advantage of their pre-pay discount. After year 1, they started to bill us quarterly and despite calling them to correct, they sent us to collections and ultimately suspended service. We finally had enough and cancelled. It took another year to get our balance paid. One of those things where "You have 3 days to pay us or risk collection" vs. " We will need 6 months to issue any credits due to you" kind of things. Typical big corporation.

Went with Evergreen. Got several people on the block to switch at the same time and they cut us all a good deal for service. Was very happy with them.

RodRugg

All's I can say is if you live near Mechanicsville do not use Blind Hitchcock's Trash Takers. I'm not even sure if they are in business anymore but one time my grandma used them because some "people" from her "church" recommended them and said they was awesome. They was not awesome at all. First, they showed up at 4am and dismantled my grandma's vegetable organizer. Then they sat around until 6 am smoking cigarettes until they burned down my grandma's dogwood tree. When my grandma woke up and saw what they did she nearly kicked the screen door off the hinges and grabbed the guy who looked like the leader by the throat and flipped him backwards off the deck. Some of them guys ran and one of them nearly ripped his leg off when he got it stuck in the stair rail and kept trying to claw his way out of there. That leader guy got up in a daze and my grandma nearly kicked his head off before he could get away. I never saw her get so mad except when that doctor told her that three of her toes was dead and there wasn't no point in leaving them on there any more. Anyways, them guys left so fast they forgot 2 crow bars, a bundle of rope, and a box of dynamites. She was so glad she didn't pay them guys up front and she told them "church people" all about it so all they prayed really hard against those guys for about three weeks straight. She tried to call them about a year later to see if they had any more of them dynamites but their phone was disconnected. I'm pretty sure they was all blind except the guy who was driving the truck if that helps in case they moved and changed their name or whatever.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
All's I can say is if you live near Mechanicsville do not use Blind Hitchcock's Trash Takers. I'm not even sure if they are in business anymore but one time my grandma used them because some "people" from her "church" recommended them and said they was awesome. They was not awesome at all. First, they showed up at 4am and dismantled my grandma's vegetable organizer. Then they sat around until 6 am smoking cigarettes until they burned down my grandma's dogwood tree. When my grandma woke up and saw what they did she nearly kicked the screen door off the hinges and grabbed the guy who looked like the leader by the throat and flipped him backwards off the deck. Some of them guys ran and one of them nearly ripped his leg off when he got it stuck in the stair rail and kept trying to claw his way out of there. That leader guy got up in a daze and my grandma nearly kicked his head off before he could get away. I never saw her get so mad except when that doctor told her that three of her toes was dead and there wasn't no point in leaving them on there any more. Anyways, them guys left so fast they forgot 2 crow bars, a bundle of rope, and a box of dynamites. She was so glad she didn't pay them guys up front and she told them "church people" all about it so all they prayed really hard against those guys for about three weeks straight. She tried to call them about a year later to see if they had any more of them dynamites but their phone was disconnected. I'm pretty sure they was all blind except the guy who was driving the truck if that helps in case they moved and changed their name or whatever.

:lmao: :yay:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

:huggy: :roflmao: