Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Food Slicer

Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    That is exactly why I got rid of mine. I had grandiose ideas of buying bulk cold cuts and slicing them myself, and slicing roasts and such. Turns out stuff goes bad long before you can use it all, and cold cuts don't freeze well. Wasn't worth the effort and the cleanup.
    As I have mentioned in posts - I plan the meal before slicing.
    So if we want Reubens, we prepare the corned beef and then chill it so it can be easily cut.
    Ditto marinating bottom roasts, and we undercook them so they remain pink in the center.

We DON'T just slice stuff up and use it some time later. We use it right away.
    “Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.".Daniel Webster

Thanks to all for the ideas - it hadn't occurred to me to use it for preparing jerky (we have a dehydrator that gets very little use)
    or using it to thinly slice vegetables, although I can only think of a few vegetables where thinly slicing them would be useful.
    “Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.".Daniel Webster

I have a vintage American Slicing Machine and use it often. Thin slice my cured hams after cooking them and thin slicing various cuts of beef after they come off the smoker.
    "Dark humor is like food. Not everyone gets it." - J. Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    Thanks to all for the ideas - it hadn't occurred to me to use it for preparing jerky (we have a dehydrator that gets very little use)
    or using it to thinly slice vegetables, although I can only think of a few vegetables where thinly slicing them would be useful.

Which one did you get? It doesn't sound like some monstrous deli-counter sized one, but more like one I can handle storing for part time use...my guy wants one specifically for his jerky, which he makes at least once a month, and I'd love it if it was smaller so I could also use it as a mandolin slicer for veggies/potatoes etc.
    none of my yoga pants have ever been to yoga.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky_bee View Post
    Which one did you get? It doesn't sound like some monstrous deli-counter sized one, but more like one I can handle storing for part time use...my guy wants one specifically for his jerky, which he makes at least once a month, and I'd love it if it was smaller so I could also use it as a mandolin slicer for veggies/potatoes etc.
    The brand is Chef's Choice. I don't know which model, (615?) but I didn't pay more than 150.
    No, it's not a monstrous sized one and I don't think I'd use one that big.
    The two pieces for putting in the food to be sliced pop or slide right off and clean easily.
    The blade, I just unscrew with a butter knife tip and wash it well, and everything else wipes down fairly easily.

And it's pretty safe - it doesn't spin very fast, so it's not like having a table saw on the countertop,
    but it does a good job for what I use it for. I've been very pleased with it.

Members who have read this thread: 43