Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Food Slicer

New Food Slicer

A couple months ago, I got a new food slicer. It works great. No complaints, it is easy to set up and easy to clean.
    Plus, I ordered it online using a ton of coupons, so I got it for a great price.

Thus far, we've made Cubans (slicing up pork loin), Reubens (slicing up corned beef) and French Dip sandwiches (using marinated bottom round for the roast beef).

I could be fine with all that, but - I haven't found anything else to slice that isn't cheaper to just cut up myself.
    For example if I buy one of those long pepperoni sticks? It's cheaper to just buy it sliced.
    Most cheeses I've seen come sliced for about the price getting it unsliced.

I'm not much of a foodie - but - I do think the slicer is fun. I got it however, to save money.
    I'm not going to slice up fresh bread no matter how good it tastes if it's actually a lot more expensive.

What else can I do with it? Do you use yours for a lot? I figure maybe sliced ham - I did do turkey breast with leftover turkey last time we had one.
    But the thing with ham is the damned bone. Slice what? London Broil for thin steaks?
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds." Teddy Roosevelt

I don't have a motorized food slicer, but use the heck out of my manual mandolin and spiralizer. My main uses are for thinly sliced veggies (especially potatoes!) and fruit, shredding cabbage, shredding and slicing cheese, slicing stick meat like pepperoni, and making zoodles (zucchini noodles) with the spiralizer. I find that the mandolin is more flexible as it can do more types of cuts and there is some overlap on functionality on the two pieces of equipment.

I have also have a good serrated bread knife for slicing loaves and a small motorized food processor for grinding spices and making small batches of things like pesto.

Blog Entries
    I had a restaurant-grade slicer that I thought I'd use all the time. I may have actually used it once. It was a pain to clean and slicing lunch meat wasn't worth the hassle.

But I was a singlet, too, and may have used it more if I'd had a passel of kids.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    I had a restaurant-grade slicer that I thought I'd use all the time. I may have actually used it once. It was a pain to clean and slicing lunch meat wasn't worth the hassle.

But I was a singlet, too, and may have used it more if I'd had a passel of kids.
    That is exactly why I got rid of mine. I had grandiose ideas of buying bulk cold cuts and slicing them myself, and slicing roasts and such. Turns out stuff goes bad long before you can use it all, and cold cuts don't freeze well. Wasn't worth the effort and the cleanup.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Visualize whirled peas Merlin99's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    A couple months ago, I got a new food slicer. It works great. No complaints, it is easy to set up and easy to clean.
    Plus, I ordered it online using a ton of coupons, so I got it for a great price.

Thus far, we've made Cubans (slicing up pork loin), Reubens (slicing up corned beef) and French Dip sandwiches (using marinated bottom round for the roast beef).

I could be fine with all that, but - I haven't found anything else to slice that isn't cheaper to just cut up myself.
    For example if I buy one of those long pepperoni sticks? It's cheaper to just buy it sliced.

I'm not much of a foodie - but - I do think the slicer is fun. I got it however, to save money.
    I'm not going to slice up fresh bread no matter how good it tastes if it's actually a lot more expensive.

What else can I do with it? Do you use yours for a lot? I figure maybe sliced ham - I did do turkey breast with leftover turkey last time we had one.
    But the thing with ham is the damned bone. Slice what? London Broil for thin steaks?
    Mine is a seasonal thing, it gets used a lot in the fall to slice up stuffed hams and to slice up cabbages for sauerkraut. The other thing it's good for is paper this slices of rib roast for steak subs, this is only around Christmas when Nicks has them for around five bucks a pound.
    ‎"I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake"

Add a good dehydrator to your kitchen arsenal and use the slicer to evenly slice fruits and veggies. Spoilage is not much of an issue with dehydrated goods. I use mine a lot to make beef jerky since I make 30-40 lbs a year which is a ton of slicing plus the even slices dry more evenly.
    Being a left-handed conservative is tough. When somebody calls me a lefty I want to punch them.

I also have a commercial Hobart slicer, it gets a good workout every fall from my son, many friends and myself slicing different meats for making jerky.
    We have had a few grocery stores go under out here and I got a great deal at one auction. Otherwise I would still be using a handcrank slicer.

Like Limb states above, I know my son paid more for the dryer we have than I paid for the slicer.. it's the size of a large college refrigerator..
    Last edited by black dog; 06-05-2018 at 02:42 PM.
    No one cares.

Wasn't this a Seinfield episode?
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post

Similar experience. Most of the grocery counters I go to will slice up whatever meat I need if it is not sliced up already. Can you use yours to slice potatoes? You can always scallop them or make tornado potato skewers.

I had a restaurant-grade slicer that I thought I'd use all the time. I may have actually used it once. It was a pain to clean and slicing lunch meat wasn't worth the hassle..
    So far it's been easy - I've cut up whole roasts on my lunch break at home, and had time for lunch.
    The slicer I have is extremely easy to clean - it has just four parts to clean.

So far, I've learned what I can and can't cut easily. Corned beef is my favorite to slice.
    Pork loins, bottom roast, turkey breast (from leftover turkey).

With the newer Foreman grill - it's wide and easy to clean, unlike its predecessor - we've done
    all kinds of grilled sandwiches. Still haven't done Monte Cristos, because they're supposed to be fried and not grilled,
    but you can make the bread ahead of time.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds." Teddy Roosevelt

Members who have read this thread: 2