Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hogan vetos bill pushed by Teachers Uniions.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post
    Again, you miss the point. It’s the Unions picking the nominees....l
    So the #### what. Are the Gates and Broad Foundations better with their picks now sitting?

If you think teacher's associations/unions in Maryland have any power at all you need to look again.
    I liked Calvert County better when there were only two stoplights.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthBeachPerso View Post
    So the #### what. Are the Gates and Broad Foundations better with their picks now sitting?

If you think teacher's associations/unions in Maryland have any power at all you need to look again.
    Yes, they do have power. They bring a lot of votes, then negotiate with the people that voted them in. Just like all public sector Unions.

SCOTUS should fix that this year......thank goodness
    When you lie down with dogs, you're going to get fleas.....

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    Beers at Krakken bar with Bird Dog. For all of you who wondered, he's normal.

Yes, they do have power. They bring a lot of votes, then negotiate with the people that voted them in. Just like all public sector Unions.

SCOTUS should fix that this year......thank goodness
    That's a separate issue and you still don't realize what little power the teacher's association in this state have. If they have any power at all I wouldn't have made less at year 30 than I did at year 20.

I guess when it comes to teachers, and parents, you have major issues but having a representative of the Gates Foundation, which give the state millions and millions of dollars every year, it's ok to have a voice on the State Board. That, apparently, isn't a conflict for you.

Some light reading:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.5f08797e7a16

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.1053871c0046

https://parcc.pearson.com/

That's a separate issue and you still don't realize what little power the teacher's association in this state have. If they have any power at all I wouldn't have made less at year 30 than I did at year 20.
    Ding, ding, ding.

That's a separate issue and you still don't realize what little power the teacher's association in this state have.
    They have 60,000 votes......that’s a lot of power
    When you lie down with dogs, you're going to get fleas.....

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    Beers at Krakken bar with Bird Dog. For all of you who wondered, he's normal.

They have 60,000 votes......that’s a lot of power
    Spread out over 23 Counties and Baltimore City.

How much power do you Beltway Bandits down at PAX have? Enough that the County Commissioners in three Counties #### their pants if there's even a mention that one program or another might get moved.

Spread out over 23 Counties and Baltimore City.

How much power do you Beltway Bandits down at PAX have? Enough that the County Commissioners in three Counties #### their pants if there's even a mention that one program or another might get moved.
    ? What do the contractors have to do with where programs are sited? They simply follow them where they do go.
    "Dark humor is like food. Not everyone gets it." - J. Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    ? What do the contractors have to do with where programs are sited? They simply follow them where they do go.
    Comparing the relative power of 24 separate teacher associations spread out across the state to the concentration of money and lobbyists in a small area. Making County Commissioners/School Boards take a dump in their drawers due to a teacher association statement has never happened. A contractor or government official talking about the remote possibility of a PAX program moving has.

Comparing the relative power of 24 separate teacher associations spread out across the state to the concentration of money and lobbyists in a small area. Making County Commissioners/School Boards take a dump in their drawers due to a teacher association statement has never happened. A contractor or government official talking about the remote possibility of a PAX program moving has.
    I've never seen an example of a contractor having sway over where the government decides to site programs. On the other hand, I've seen the teachers union get the local government all twisted up in knots. Numerous ways and numerous times.
    "Dark humor is like food. Not everyone gets it." - J. Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    I've never seen an example of a contractor having sway over where the government decides to site programs. On the other hand, I've seen the teachers union get the local government all twisted up in knots. Numerous ways and numerous times.
    Typically it's the federal government pronouncements that twist the various Commissioners up. The only way a teacher's association gets local government twisted up is if you have stupid School Board members or Commissioners (I realize that in some instances that stating "stupid" is redundant).

The only job action teachers have is "work to rule". Maryland isn't like many states since public employee strikes are illegal. Contracts with teachers, by law, don't have to be honored. That's how Prince George's gets away with voiding teacher COLAs almost every year. What can the teachers do about it? Nothing, and usually the association officers would justify it. That way they kept their post association officer term job at the Central Office safe.

And even work to rule doesn't work since the contract has an "non-compensated additional duties as assigned" clause. That's how they got me to report an hour early for years to herd buses. And there's no turn down for it.

As I mentioned earlier, I had a higher take home at year 20 than I did at year 30. Some of that was the 2% increase in pension contribution. That was called "the teacher tax" because O'Malley didn't put it into the pension system but the General Fund. He also "borrowed" so much money from the pension fund, as he did from the Highway User Fund (which is why transportation projects with exception of mass transit nearly stopped during his eight years), that the State Retirement System went from having 105% of needed reserves for as far out as they wanted to project to 58%.

Hogan has started to fix that but has run into opposition in the Legislature.
    Last edited by NorthBeachPerso; 06-09-2018 at 07:40 AM. Reason: removed extra word

Members who have read this thread: 92