Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Hogan vetos bill pushed by Teachers Uniions.....

Quote Originally Posted by NorthBeachPerso View Post
    Typically it's the federal government pronouncements that twist the various Commissioners up. The only way a teacher's association gets local government twisted up is if you have stupid School Board members or Commissioners (I realize that in some instances that stating "stupid" is redundant).

The only job action teachers have is "work to rule". Maryland isn't like many states since public employee strikes are illegal. Contracts with teachers, by law, don't have to be honored. That's how Prince George's gets away with voiding teacher COLAs almost every year. What can the teachers do about it? Nothing, and usually the association officers would justify it. That way they kept their post association officer term job at the Central Office safe.

And even work to rule doesn't work since the contract has an "non-compensated additional duties as assigned" clause. That's how they got me to report an hour early for years to herd buses. And there's no turn down for it.

As I mentioned earlier, I had a higher take home at year 20 than I did at year 30. Some of that was the 2% increase in pension contribution. That was called "the teacher tax" because O'Malley didn't put it into the pension system but the General Fund. He also "borrowed" so much money from the pension fund, as he did from the Highway User Fund (which is why transportation projects with exception of mass transit nearly stopped during his eight years), that the State Retirement System went from having 105% of needed reserves for as far out as they wanted to project to 58%.

Hogan has started to fix that but has run into opposition in the Legislature.
    With that said, why did the Teachers Unions support O’Malley?
    When you lie down with dogs, you're going to get fleas.....

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    Beers at Krakken bar with Bird Dog. For all of you who wondered, he's normal. :jet:

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post
    Because he made promises he had no intention of keeping. And O'Malley threatened to pull the slots money, which wasn't "new" money but "instead of" money. I kept telling people that was a bait and switch and ran into the will not to believe. You should know that the rank and file are not consulted on which candidate to support.
    I liked Calvert County better when there were only two stoplights.

Because he made promises he had no intention of keeping. And O'Malley threatened to pull the slots money, which wasn't "new" money but "instead of" money. I kept telling people that was a bait and switch and ran into the will not to believe. You should know that the rank and file are not consulted on which candidate to support.
    Bullsheet...........

Beers at Krakken bar with Bird Dog. For all of you who wondered, he's normal. :jet:

Bullsheet...........
    Which part? Or are you talking out of your ass? Again.

The rank and file of a union vote for their union leadership, are you telling me that teachers don't choose their own union leadership?
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

You should know that the rank and file are not consulted on which candidate to support.
    ?? Then why on earth would you even be a part of it?? How do they own you?
    "I've got to start eating at home more" - J. Dahmer

Which part? Or are you talking out of your ass? Again.
    The part when you stated “the rank and file are not consulted on which candidate to support”
    Taliking about “talking out of your ass” you’ve mastered it in this thread.

Blog Entries
    Maybe. But the bitching about actually having teachers and a couple parents having some input on the #### the State Board promulgates while the same people bitch about the "teachers" enforcing those same rules they had no part in developing pisses me off.
    Having seen first hand how PTAs work, I'm not convinced having teachers and parents on the Board would make any difference. I know fact certain they wouldn't include a parent like me, or a teacher like you. It's not going to be anybody who'll rock their boat or push for change. So while it sounds good, it wouldn't be what we think.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Blog Entries
    You know why: because he was a Democrat.

And NB is correct: the unions do not consult with mere teachers when it comes to their shenanigans - they campaign. It's political, and people in general (including teachers) fall for that crap.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

You know why: because he was a Democrat.

And NB is correct: the unions do not consult with mere teachers when it comes to their shenanigans - they campaign. It's political, and people in general (including teachers) fall for that crap.
    A little story, and it's not really related to this thread exactly.

Four years ago I attended the Maryland Municipal League conference in Ocean City (in fact I'm leaving for it in a few minutes). The Governor or Lt. Governor always attends. Well that year he sent the then Lt. Gov. Anthony Brown who was running for Governor.

Keep in mind that there are a couple thousand local elected officials there. Brown got up to speak (well, he's not a good speaker, or campaigner, and I have my own issues with him in any event) and made some jokes about Larry Hogan. The assembled multitudes roared and fell over themselves to shake his hand.

Well, come the next year and Hogan had won. He couldn't attend because of his cancer treatment so Lt. Gov. Rutherford filled in. Every mention of Hogan caused a standing ovation. Keep in mind that, with a few exceptions, these were the same people who a year before had laughed at the mere mention or thought of Hogan becoming Governor. People were falling over themselves to shake Rutherford's hand and to praise Hogan. Some of that was because he was able to throw some Highway User money back to the municipalities and Counties. Money O'Malley had cut by 95%.

Members who have read this thread: 2