Hogan vetos bill pushed by Teachers Uniions.....

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-hogan-vetoes-20180524-story.html

No wonder everyone loves him.......
The legislation would have changed the composition of the Maryland Board of Education to include two teachers and a parent, made it possible for more school supervisors to join the union and made it harder to fire hundreds of political appointees at the state Department of Education.

Hogan’s veto of the bills is final because it is the last year of the four-year term and the next General Assembly does not have authority to override him.

The Republican governor said the bills follow “an unfortunate litany of attempts” by state lawmakers to reshape education policy. Hogan used his four-page veto letter to criticize lawmakers for not passing bills he pushed to create an “investigator general” to look into school systems, and to criticize other legislation he vetoed in the past. The Democratic-dominated General Assembly overrode those vetoes.

“It is shocking to me, as well as the citizens of Maryland, the lengths the General Assembly will go to weaken accountability that will hurt the performance of our school children,” Hogan wrote.

The state’s largest teachers’ union issued a statement calling Hogan partisan for vetoing the legislation that required him to appoint teachers — who would have been recommended by the union — and a parent to the state school board.

glhs837

Power with Control
"and made it harder to fire hundreds of political appointees at the state Department of Education."

So maybe this was the poison pill?

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
"and made it harder to fire hundreds of political appointees at the state Department of Education."

So maybe this was the poison pill?

You gotta love those Unions.....always looking out for the “little “ guy......

glhs837

Power with Control
Which sort of begs the question of how we ended up with "hundreds" of political appointees on a state education level?

glhs837

Power with Control
You do realize Democrats OWN Maryland?

But of course, the question is really just an expression of frustration. You might think the party of "OMG, you must spend every available dime on the students" might balk a little at millions of dollars spent on useless political functionaries, but no, we all know that the educational system thrives on this crap.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
No doubt y'all think these people represent you as members of the State Board of Education.
http://marylandpublicschools.org/stateboard/Pages/members.aspx

But you'll still blame teachers for enforcing rules and mandates which they have no input on developing but are imposed by the people in the link.

You know, gems the State Board adopted like the one a few years ago which changed an attack on a staff member from being an expulsion to a 5 day suspension.

Here y'all go:

http://archives.marylandpublicschoo...GuidelinesforStateCodeDiscipline_08072014.pdf

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
The state’s largest teachers’ union issued a statement calling Hogan partisan for vetoing the legislation that required him to appoint teachers — who would have been recommended by the union — and a parent to the state school board.
:cds: After years of hearing yes yes yes, someone says no and the SHTF.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Wait... I thought there was no "teachers' union" in Maryland. This story must be fake news.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Wait... I thought there was no "teachers' union" in Maryland. This story must be fake news.

Baltimore City is a union, the rest are called associations.

As a retired teacher, and a tax payer, I see no problem with having a parent on the State Board who isn't connected to either a university or a business as well as having a regular classroom teacher or two there.

As I said, you guys bitch and moan constantly about the crap teachers "make" your kids do in school when all they're doing is following the rules promulgated by the State Board.

Can't suspend a kid who started a fight? Look at the link I posted that lays out the mandated discipline policy all schools have to follow. The locals, and absolutely no classroom teacher, weren't involved in designing that.

Look at the people on the State Board who have EdD or PhD after their names and ask yourself if they know the square root of #### about what's happening in public school classrooms.

Go back to the penalty for a physical attack on a staff member. When that was announced to us I opined that it meant open season on teachers. I was "counseled" by the Administration after the meeting about keeping my opinions to myself.

Less than two months later a colleague was so severely injured breaking up a fight that he eventually had to retire on disability. The incident also led directly to my retirement because, since I also was involved in breaking up the fight and was senior teacher in the building when it happened so was in charge, no administrators had bothered to show up yet and I made that very clear in my report. I refused to cover up for them which made me a target for "intense supervision". I got pissed off one day and left, never to return.

Last edited:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
This was probably drafted with his Veto in mind so they have something for the election cycle.

"Republican Monster-Nazi Hogan doesn't want your children to learn how to read!" :tantrum :jameo: :cussing:

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
This was probably drafted with his Veto in mind so they have something for the election cycle.

"Republican Monster-Nazi Hogan doesn't want your children to learn how to read!" :tantrum :jameo: :cussing:

Of course that was part of it. The veto bait part was the part about political appointees.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Also putting three Union appointees on the board.....

So you don't think having a couple of teachers and parents on the Board is appropriate when it's developing the rules you all bitch about? Did you happen to look at who sits on it now?

Like this guy:
http://marylandpublicschools.org/stateboard/Pages/AndrewSmarick.aspx

Maybe this one with a degree in Women's Studies is more to your liking:

http://marylandpublicschools.org/stateboard/Pages/Michele-Jenkins-Guyton.aspx

So I can be fair this one did teach for a bit in public schools:

http://marylandpublicschools.org/stateboard/Pages/StephanieRIszard.aspx

Maybe this Education Theorist, you know like the ones that developed Common Core, is more to your liking:

http://marylandpublicschools.org/stateboard/Pages/DavidSteiner.aspx

Another Common Core guy:

http://marylandpublicschools.org/stateboard/Pages/ChestereFinn.aspx

You do realize that the only thing the various Associations can negotiate about is salaries and duty day? Not fringe benefits, not working conditions (think class size and additional uncompensated duties like having to report an hour earlier than official hours because principals and vice principals are too ####ing lazy to come in to herd the buses like they're supposed to).

Last edited:

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
No, I’m against the Unions appointing them.

Actually the Governor appoints them with Legislative approval.

How do you think he gets names now, just opens up a phone book? Every single one of the current members, with the exception maybe of the student member, has been recommended by one or another group.

Take some time and go to the link I posted of the members and read their sorta resumes. Do they really listen to you?

PeoplesElbow

Maybe this one with a degree in Women's Studies is more to your liking:

http://marylandpublicschools.org/stateboard/Pages/Michele-Jenkins-Guyton.aspx

You are being a bit dramatic here. When you look at her degrees you pick out womens studies when she has mostly psychology degrees.

Not that psychology degrees are the end all, but womens studies degrees earn more hate (as they should).

She earned a BA from Vanderbilt University in Psychology and Anthropology, a joint MA in Psychology and Women's Studies from Radcliffe College Consortium of Women's Studies at Harvard University, and a PhD in Psychology with a specialization in Developmental Psychology from Brandeis University.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
You are being a bit dramatic here. When you look at her degrees you pick out womens studies when she has mostly psychology degrees.

Not that psychology degrees are the end all, but womens studies degrees earn more hate (as they should).

Maybe. But the bitching about actually having teachers and a couple parents having some input on the #### the State Board promulgates while the same people bitch about the "teachers" enforcing those same rules they had no part in developing pisses me off.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Maybe. But the bitching about actually having teachers and a couple parents having some input on the #### the State Board promulgates while the same people bitch about the "teachers" enforcing those same rules they had no part in developing pisses me off.
Again, you miss the point. It’s the Unions picking the nominees....l