Remember Rod Blagojevich?

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Rooting around the interwebz yesterday, there was something I read and found interesting. There is a request for Trump to commute the sentence of Rod Blagojevich. He's the creepy, smarmy ex-governor of Illinois who was impeached and went to jail for corruption and little things like oh, you know - trying to sell Obama's vacant Senate seat. One of the contenders at the time was Valerie Jarrett. (until she took herself out of the running)
http://wgntv.com/2018/05/31/trump-c...agojevichs-sentence-pardoning-martha-stewart/

Prosecutors alleged Blagojevich sought appointment as secretary of Health and Human Services or wanted an ambassadorship in the new Obama administration, or to be placed in a lucrative union-affiliated job in exchange for appointing Valerie Jarrett, a close friend and adviser to the president-elect to the Senate seat. Jarrett eventually took herself out of the running and Fitzgerald said "we make no allegation" that Obama was aware of Blagojevich's attempt to leverage the appointment.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-rod-blagojevich-1209-story.html

There are other people involved in all of this business at the time who are still around, and I would love to see what old Rod might do and say if he were to get out of the pokey early. He was a pretty arrogant guy and always right out there - it seemed to me that he beleived he would get away with all of it. I think he was definitely the stooge in all of it - all the other characters went on to all kinds of "bigger and better" things. Jarrett, Rahm Emmanuel, just to name two.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
This is one that I just don't get. Not sure what Trump could be thinking here.

Blagojevich is a slime-ball selling a senate seat.

#### him. He needs to stay in jail.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Trump is an equal-opportunity commuter. Commuting Blago bodes well for votes.

Perhaps, I really don't think he was all that popular that it would gain Trump any political points.

And if he really wanted to pardon a democrat, as some sort of reach out, I'm sure there's one in jail somewhere more worthy of it than Blago.

Bann

PREMO Member

I get it and agree! He is a total slimeball - no love lost for him at all. However, he was made a big issue of and the sentence seems to be excessive for what was done and he was prosecuted by Comey and the Obama Admin. I would like to see the commutation just for the entertainment value of what he'd say when he got out. :shrug:

Bann

PREMO Member
From the story above:

Blagojevich was convicted on numerous counts of corruption, including for trying to sell the U.S. Senate seat that was vacated by Obama and for shaking down a children's hospital. As governor, he had the right to name someone to fill the Senate vacancy, but he was caught on FBI wiretaps discussing ways to make money off of it. He began serving a 14-year prison sentence in 2012 and is scheduled for release in 2024.

"What he did does not justify 18 years in jail," Trump said. "If you read his statement, it was a foolish statement with a lot of bravado. Plenty of other politicians have said a lot worse. He's a Democrat, he's not in my party, but I thought he got treated unfairly."

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Blago should have his own reality show. Very entertaining.

If Daddy gives him a commutation, I'm okay with that. He was a scapegoat anyway. There are many politicians who've done the same thing and never spent one second in jail. It was well-known that Blago didn't march in lockstep with the Dems and was on the outs with Barack Obama. I'm going to guess that's why he went to prison instead of his misdeeds being swept under the rug like they usually do. Hell, he could have killed somebody and not gotten that stiff a sentence.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Maybe the pardon comes with his testimony... he probably tried to work a deal but with who was in Power at the time no way was that going to happen. Now? You betcha..

Bann

PREMO Member
Blago should have his own reality show. Very entertaining.

If Daddy gives him a commutation, I'm okay with that. He was a scapegoat anyway. There are many politicians who've done the same thing and never spent one second in jail. It was well-known that Blago didn't march in lockstep with the Dems and was on the outs with Barack Obama. I'm going to guess that's why he went to prison instead of his misdeeds being swept under the rug like they usually do. Hell, he could have killed somebody and not gotten that stiff a sentence.

:yay:

Bann

PREMO Member
Maybe the pardon comes with his testimony... he probably tried to work a deal but with who was in Power at the time no way was that going to happen. Now? You betcha..

It's not a pardon Trump is considering, but a commutation of his sentence.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I would not have pardoned the creep. Commute the sentence would be more than he deserves.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Is this draining the swamp?

Yeah, because Rod Blagojevich is King Swamp Rat. :rolleyes:

There are about 8,000 worse politicians who should have his jail cell. If you're all bent out of shape at the possibility that Blago might have to vacate his bed and make room for someone else, that's prog media manipulation talking. He's served six years so far - again, you could freaking kill someone in Illinois and not serve that much time.

Obviously this was a politically motivated sentence. A real libertarian would be against that.

gary_webb

Damned glad to meet you
Is this draining the swamp?

With all due respect Chris, commuting a sentence is not a full pardon, and Blagojevich is not likely to get back into politics.

But I would like to remind everyone of who's idea it was to sell Barry's old seat, and the highest bidder also, Jesse Jackson Jr.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
But I would like to remind everyone of who's idea it was to sell Barry's old seat, and the highest bidder also, Jesse Jackson Jr.

And Young Jesse only served two years in prison, with a lot more charges under his conviction belt.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
It might help to have a democrat's support for Trump's reelection bid. I don't think it can hurt him politically. A 14 year sentence was overkill for this crime.

I think 14 years is just about right if you are convicted of putting national security at risk by being extremely careless with classified material.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I think 14 years is just about right if you are convicted of putting national security at risk by being extremely careless with classified material.

... Or smashing blackberries with a hammer to avoid recovery of evidence. :yay: