More Winning - Mata Hari journalism?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
WASHINGTON — A longtime staffer for the Senate Intelligence Committee has been arrested on charges of lying to investigators probing the potential leaking of classified information, the Justice Department announced Thursday night.

A federal grand jury indicted the staffer, James A. Wolfe, 58, on three counts of making false statements in December about contacts with reporters, including providing sensitive information related to the work of the Senate Intelligence Committee, which he served as security director for 29 years. He was arrested Thursday and is expected to appear in U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland on Friday.

His arrest comes just one day after the full Senate, with little advance notice, quietly authorized the committee to cooperate with the Justice Department regarding what was described only as an “investigation arising out of allegations of the unauthorized disclosure of information.” The 15 members of the committee were briefed on the circumstances of the investigation Monday night.

Top Senate staffer arrested in leak probe, after NY Times reporter's records are seized

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The indictment of Wolfe indicates that lying to the FBI about his relationship with Ms. Watkins [REPORTER #2 in the indictment] is the basis for the arrest. It outlines the genesis of the relationship and the meteoric rise of Ms. Watkins from journalism major to a prestigious beat at the New York Times:

13. During in or around 2013 and in or around 2014, REPORTER #2 was an undergraduate student serving as an intern with a news service ]McClatchy] in Washington, D.C.

14. In approximately December 2013, WOLFE and REPORTER #2began a personal relationship that continued until in or around December 2017.

15. From in or around mid-2014 through in or around December 2017, REPORTER #2 was employed in Washington, D.C. by several different news organizations covering national security matters, including matters relating to the SSCI. During this period, REPORTER #2 published dozens of news articles about SSCI and its activities.

Watkins went from an intern at McClatchy to Buzzfeed, where she made a big name for herself with this story of April 3, 2017. The tone is apparent from the lead paragraphs:

A former campaign adviser for Donald Trump met with and passed documents to a Russian intelligence operative in New York City in 2013.

The adviser, Carter Page, met with a Russian intelligence operative named Victor Podobnyy, who was later charged by the US government alongside two others for acting as unregistered agents of a foreign government. The charges, filed in January 2015, came after federal investigators busted a Russian spy ring that was seeking information on US sanctions as well as efforts to develop alternative energy. Page is an energy consultant.

https://www.americanthinker.com/blo..._nyt_reporter_arrested_in_probe_of_leaks.html

:yay:

good execute them both on the south lawn

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
So basically he's thrown away his life and career trading info for #####

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
BuzzFeed Editor-In-Chief Ben Smith said he would “not comment at all on a reporter’s sources in the middle of an unjustifiable leak hunt” when The Daily Caller News Foundation asked about the extent the organization knew about Watkins’ behavior to corroborate The Times’ reporting.

“I am baffled that the FBI and Justice Department are going to these dangerous lengths over a story that points to public court documents that describe Russian spies approaching a Trump adviser, who himself is quoted confirming his role in the episode. I’d like to know why that should be secret,” Smith added.

Later, a BuzzFeed spokesman told TheDCNF that the company does not dispute The Times’ reporting on Wolfe’s indictment, meaning that at least some BuzzFeed editors were aware of Watkins’ relationship with the Senate Intelligence aide.

It was never disclosed in any of the pieces Watkins wrote for BuzzFeed that she had a conflict of interest with an individual that provided her with information. If her editors knew about this relationship, it remains unclear why they did not make this known to readers or prohibit her from covering the Senate Intelligence committee.

http://dailycaller.com/2018/06/08/e...s-relationship-with-indicted-senate-official/

Hijinx

Reminds me of Stalag 17 where Security was a Nazi.
It shows the depth of the Deep State when the leak is coming from the guy that is supposed to stop the leak.

SamSpade

I don't know if there's a part of the FBI that are villains --

But when I was a kid, the head of the FBI was J. Edgar Hoover - and he *was*.
For nearly fifty years, Congress and the White House were afraid of his personal Gestapo.

It happens.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member

For nearly fifty years, Congress and the White House were afraid of his personal Gestapo.

It happens.

they are no longer the Gestapo.

Now they're the KGB.

Hijinx

It happens.

Everybody calls J. Edgar Hoover a villain now, But he ran a tight ship.
Nobody had the balls to go after him when he was alive---nobody.

Ya know why? Because he had something on every one of them.
Now: Who was the villain. J. Edgar or the ones who kept quiet because they were sh1t themselves.

Yes ,including Presidents.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
A top staffer on the “nonpartisan” Senate Intelligence Committee has apparently been selectively leaking to feed the anti-Trump “collusion” story: That’s the main takeaway in the case of James Wolfe.

[clip]

But the indictment basically says that Wolfe, the committee’s security director, leaked the info that led to a major Buzzfeed story headlined, “A Former Trump Adviser Met With A Russian Spy,” based in part on classified documents.

The report named the adviser, Carter Page — and came soon after Buzzfeed published the “dossier” tying Page to a plan for Russian collusion with Team Trump.

In fact, Page played only a minor role on the Trump campaign. But, yes, he met with a Russian spy — in 2013. And then cooperated with the feds to bring the indictment of two Russians for espionage.

Special counsel Bob Mueller is charged with fully investigating any “collusion.” Who’s going to get to the bottom of the crimes committed to fake so much “news” about it?

https://nypost.com/2018/06/11/the-illegal-campaign-to-feed-collusion-hysteria/