Continuing to eliminate the Kenyan's legacy one pen stroke at a time

transporter

Did you bother to read the article or did you just like the title???
Department of Education secretary Betsy DeVos earlier this year reinstated the for-profit college accreditor Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools even though the organization did not meet federal education standards.

The Education Department March 2018 report, released Friday in response to a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit, revealed that department analysts had concerns with restoring ACICS and expressed those concerns to DeVos, Politico reported.

The report concluded that the Trump administration should not reinstate ACICS, however, a month after the report was released, DeVos moved forward and restored the federal powers of the organization.

If you think that for profit accreditors is a good idea, please open your history book to 2006-2008 when for profit accreditors determined the credit rating of mortgage backed securities.

So the department she runs did not think this was a good idea but she did it anyway.

What about this makes you so giddy?

black dog

Free America
c15bb9f570657b61a31b0b1fa926afff--patriotism-political-humor.jpg

itsbob

I bowl overhand

If you think that for profit accreditors is a good idea, please open your history book to 2006-2008 when for profit accreditors determined the credit rating of mortgage backed securities.

So the department she runs did not think this was a good idea but she did it anyway.

What about this makes you so giddy?
Because mortgages, bad loans are related to college accreditations?

Damn... that's an entire new level of ignorance right there..

SamSpade

Do you know who the ACICS - *are*? They've been doing this for over a hundred years.
They're one of a small group of college accrediting agencies that operate nationally.

If you think that for profit accreditors is a good idea

Ok, NOW *you're* an idiot. ACICS *is* non-profit.
They accredit FOR-profit colleges.
Reading comprehension much? Or do you insult because you saw two words instead of the title?

Admittedly - what they were guilty of - or negligent over - is the accreditation of two institutions which collapsed - thus leaving the taxpayer on the hook for their student loans - but that they were seen as visa mills - schools which accepted foreign students, took their money but provided little support in the way of education. Well, probably outside of their specialty.

In that regard, I'd really like to see more scrutiny on anyone in schools. When I was at U of MD, I saw *plenty* of engineers who could barely hold a conversation in English.
I somehow doubt - at least in engineering and sciences - that has changed much.

I think I've mentioned - often - my skepticism on the value of post-secondary education, and how more and more of it functions as a nod to the way
colleges functioned a century ago. So I do value the existence of these agencies to ensure that sketchy online colleges and diploma mills don't fleece
the public and deliver inferior product. We already have full scale academic institutions doing that.

Colleges used to function ONLY for the elite. By and large, only rich kids went at all, and college functioned as preparatory for the rich kid's life
in society. Curricula might be broad and cover philosophy, languages, art, history and so forth, to produce a well rounded person prepared for
life with the other rich snobs. There's even a ring of truth in that for the harder sciences. A century later, college is for everybody, but we still
retain this idea of well roundedness while ignoring the specialization NEEDED for a career. For THAT people go to graduate school or IMMEDIATELY
get training once on the job. This is stupid. We need to improve our schools for the reality of the 21st century.