Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: About those Canadian milk tariffs

Really wouldnt have thought Milk could be such an issue in Canada.

As girlie as they all seem, I'd have bet they all drank soy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Really wouldnt have thought Milk could be such an issue in Canada.

As girlie as they all seem, I'd have bet they all drank soy.
    I used to piss off a Canadian who would conjecture that I belonged there, that I wasn't cool
    with the citizenship requirement of emasculation.

I don't think *MILK* and dairy is as big a deal; monetarily it's not, although it's really important to dairy
    farmers in the region.
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds." Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Lurk View Post
    Now, add the same contortions for livestock and crops and you see why the FARM BILL is a multi-year appropriation that nobody really wants to tackle when its term has expired.
    Subsidies in our country notwithstanding ..... I think if you want to do business here, you've got to allow entry of our products there.
    They have nothing to complain about with regard to dairy, if THEIR tariffs pretty much keep us completely out.
    I read somewhere that the only inroads we were making were with things like ultrafiltered milks that are used in other dairy products,
    because until recently, they didn't fall under the tariffs.

I don't think I'd want to be in agribusiness - one drought, one tropical storm, one freak cold spell, one flood - and you're toast.
    One unstoppable pest, one outbreak of fungus or disease - and your profits are gone.
    I don't know of other businesses other than food where you are so susceptible to forces totally outside your control.

So I DO get why the government tries to protect them - the nation depends on the continuing labor of farmers, and that can't happen
    if they go out of business because of a bad year.

I just think they do it in a way that guarantees waste.
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds." Teddy Roosevelt

Visualize whirled peas Merlin99's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nutz View Post
    My family sold off everything dairy because we chose not to keep losing money. Wish I (we) would have known the gov't. was handing out money to help.
    Are you saying that the US doesn't provide it or that you didn't know how to access it?
    ‎"I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake"

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin99 View Post
    Are you saying that the US doesn't provide it or that you didn't know how to access it?

I can't tell from what I read online that they're all available to anyone but the big agribusinesses.
    I don't think Mom and Pop farms get much if anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin99 View Post
    Not provided.
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    I can't tell from what I read online that they're all available to anyone but the big agribusinesses.
    Very little in the way of grants and real assistance. Most of what they throw out are gov't. backed, low interest loans. But if things are already going bad, they usually aren't going to save the farm.
    Where is your local dairy plant?
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.

Maybe that's why there aren't many Mom and Pop farms left.
    Here in St. Marys the money crop was taken away with the tobacco buyout and most Mom and Pop farms rent the land to the big guys.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz View Post
    Very little in the way of grants and real assistance. Most of what they throw out are gov't. backed, low interest loans. But if things are already going bad, they usually aren't going to save the farm.
    Where is your local dairy plant?
    I don't know. I've guessed that milk is one of the commodities that, unlike oil, really only has a limited range of distribution.
    That the bulk of your business needs to be nearby. I have no idea, I just know it's true of some produce, like strawberries.
    Spoils too quickly.

I've been reading articles regarding trade balance - and there's a lot of folks out there that say - it never matters.
    Others who say that continued long deficits are basically a money siphon. I have no idea - I'm not an economist,
    although I used to work for one. I was listening to Mark Levin on the radio home yesterday, and he thinks trade
    deficits are irrelevant - he said that a tariff on foreign goods is basically a tax on your own people, so why should
    we care if other nations place high tariffs on our goods? And I shouted at the radio, Mark, you're too smart to say
    something so stupid - it's only a TAX if people BUY it. And high tariffs make foreign goods undesirable.

I don't know. I've guessed that milk is one of the commodities that, unlike oil, really only has a limited range of distribution.
    That the bulk of your business needs to be nearby. I have no idea, I just know it's true of some produce, like strawberries.
    Spoils too quickly.

I've been reading articles regarding trade balance - and there's a lot of folks out there that say - it never matters.
    Others who say that continued long deficits are basically a money siphon. I have no idea - I'm not an economist,
    although I used to work for one. I was listening to Mark Levin on the radio home yesterday, and he thinks trade
    deficits are irrelevant - he said that a tariff on foreign goods is basically a tax on your own people, so why should
    we care if other nations place high tariffs on our goods? And I shouted at the radio, Mark, you're too smart to say
    something so stupid - it's only a TAX if people BUY it. And high tariffs make foreign goods undesirable.
    Not really anymore, they've got stuf with 3 month and more shelf lives so cold shipping isn't as big of a deal anymore. Has to make one wonder about freshness of the product though.
    https://www.horizon.com/products/milk/whole-milk-0
    http://www.supermarketnews.com/dairy...try-new-plants
    http://www.supermarketnews.com/dairy...ernatives-rise
    Last edited by nutz; 06-12-2018 at 07:16 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 58