Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Greetings from Baton Rouge!

Blog Entries

Greetings from Baton Rouge!

Livingston, LA to be more precise.

Our campground is quite pastoral - out in the boonies with a large lake that Monello can take his boat out on (which is what he's doing right now). The lady at the welcome center AND the lady at the campground desk loaded me up with brochures and tourism mags, and it appears that a week isn't going to be long enough. In addition to Baton Rouge itself, there are a number of small villages that need to be explored, and it would be nice to go kayaking in the bayou. Not to mention our campground has a lovely pool and seating areas around the lake.

There's a Cajun biker joint about a mile up the road that we'll have to at least have a drink at. Bring on the boudin balls!

Livingston, according to Wiki, "..hosts one of the two LIGO gravitational wave detector sites, the other one being in located in Hanford, Washington." I don't know what that means, but it sounds impressive.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    Livingston, LA to be more precise.

Our campground is quite pastoral - out in the boonies with a large lake that Monello can take his boat out on (which is what he's doing right now). The lady at the welcome center AND the lady at the campground desk loaded me up with brochures and tourism mags, and it appears that a week isn't going to be long enough. In addition to Baton Rouge itself, there are a number of small villages that need to be explored, and it would be nice to go kayaking in the bayou. Not to mention our campground has a lovely pool and seating areas around the lake.

There's a Cajun biker joint about a mile up the road that we'll have to at least have a drink at. Bring on the boudin balls!

Livingston, according to Wiki, "..hosts one of the two LIGO gravitational wave detector sites, the other one being in located in Hanford, Washington." I don't know what that means, but it sounds impressive.
    Watch out for gators!

Quote Originally Posted by MR47930 View Post
    Watch out for gators!
    Was gonna say the same thing. Plenty out there bigger then a kayak.

Registered User luvmygdaughters's Avatar
    it would be nice to go kayaking in the bayou

Uh...you're gonna need a bigger boat!

I would have looked for a swamp free campground.
    Je suis prest

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mAlice View Post
    I would have looked for a swamp free campground.
    It's a large lake, no swamp. At least not the parts where I'll be. And I have been assured that I will NOT be kayaking in a bayou, lest I become a gator's meal.

Today I had to go into "town" to the post office and other errands. I say "town" because Livingston is a wide spot in the road - bigger is a few miles away in Walker (they have a Walmart and a small grocery store), and even bigger is a few more miles to Baton Rouge. As I was heading to the post office, I passed a shack with smoke coming out of the back, a large pile of wood out front, and a few picnic tables dotted in the yard, with a sign that said "WAYNE'S" and a smiling pig in a chef's hat above it. With the goal of BBQ in all 50 states in mind, I stopped to grab some meat.

It's a tiny little place with a ton of cars parked out front, set up like a hot lunch counter with sides in a steam table and various meats in pit tables. I ordered and told the lady at the counter that they were representing Louisiana in my BBQ quest, so no pressure. The man behind me said, "Well, honey, you come to the right place."

And he was right. Tender meaty spares, and perfect brisket. Plus they threw in a small portion of smoked sausage they get from a local guy - lagniappe <--see me learning to speak foreign languages?

Other than scoring BBQ, we haven't done much. It's been raining off and on, which makes me lazy. Monello's been fishing a good bit because he can take his boat in the lake and it's right across the street. Tomorrow Apollo is going to the groomer and we'll nose around Baton Rouge while he's getting beautified.

I'm finding that I don't really like cities anymore. I used to love going to New York and Annapolis and other happening places, but now they make me break out in hives. As long as I'm within 10-15 miles of civilization, I'm happier in the sticks.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Y’all might want to visit Houmas House. It is 20 to 40 miles, depending on exactly where you are. Very interesting place.

https://houmashouse.com/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Houmas

Y’all are making me nostalgic. LSU is my alma mater. I haven’t been back since 1997 for a reunion. Glad you are enjoying your stay in my home state.

Registered User luvmygdaughters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    Y’all might want to visit Houmas House. It is 20 to 40 miles, depending on exactly where you are. Very interesting place.

https://houmashouse.com/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Houmas

Y’all are making me nostalgic. LSU is my alma mater. I haven’t been back since 1997 for a reunion. Glad you are enjoying your stay in my home state.
    Looks nice, but honestly, if you've seen one antebellum mansion, you've seen them all. We've been on tours in Charleston, Georgia and Louisiana (when I was a kid) and they all had the same beautiful grounds, house, furniture, etc. Is this one any different?

Quote Originally Posted by luvmygdaughters View Post
    Looks nice, but honestly, if you've seen one antebellum mansion, you've seen them all. We've been on tours in Charleston, Georgia and Louisiana (when I was a kid) and they all had the same beautiful grounds, house, furniture, etc. Is this one any different?
    It has been my experience that if one likes a thing, they don't typically bore of it easily. I could see myself touring the grounds of gardens day after day. I love gardens, and I don't think I would tire of them. But, if you've seen one, you've seen them all, right?

Just a perspective.
    Je suis prest

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post

I'm finding that I don't really like cities anymore.
    I've never cared for cities. I get panic attacks. I had a real hard time in Vegas when I went out for a wedding. Never again.
    Je suis prest

Members who have read this thread: 47