2 Samuel 16 Pitched a tent

seekeroftruth

2 Samuel 16:15 Meanwhile, Absalom and all the men of Israel came to Jerusalem, and Ahithophel was with him. 16 Then Hushai the Arkite, David’s confidant, went to Absalom and said to him, “Long live the king! Long live the king!”

17 Absalom said to Hushai, “So this is the love you show your friend? If he’s your friend, why didn’t you go with him?”

18 Hushai said to Absalom, “No, the one chosen by the Lord, by these people, and by all the men of Israel—his I will be, and I will remain with him. 19 Furthermore, whom should I serve? Should I not serve the son? Just as I served your father, so I will serve you.”

20 Absalom said to Ahithophel, “Give us your advice. What should we do?”

21 Ahithophel answered, “Sleep with your father’s concubines whom he left to take care of the palace. Then all Israel will hear that you have made yourself obnoxious to your father, and the hands of everyone with you will be more resolute.” 22 So they pitched a tent for Absalom on the roof, and he slept with his father’s concubines in the sight of all Israel.

23 Now in those days the advice Ahithophel gave was like that of one who inquires of God. That was how both David and Absalom regarded all of Ahithophel’s advice.​

Wow.... this is from Bible.org.

Absalom has arrived at Jerusalem and taken possession of this royal city. He then calls Ahithophel and asks for his counsel about how he may best establish himself as king. Ahithophel's counsel comes in two parts, unfortunately separated (artificially) by the chapter division (chapter 17). The first part of Ahithophel's advice is that he should possess the throne symbolically by publicly sleeping with the ten wives David left behind to keep house in Jerusalem. This will send a very clear message to all Israel about his relationship to his father and to his throne.​

Look back at 2 Samuel 12:11 “This is what the Lord says: ‘Out of your own household I am going to bring calamity on you. Before your very eyes I will take your wives and give them to one who is close to you, and he will sleep with your wives in broad daylight. So Absolom will be sleeping with the concubines.

This is from enduringword.com.

Ahithophel said to Absalom, “Go into your father’s concubines:” Ahithophel told Absalom to do something so offensive that it would eliminate any possibility of reconciliation with David. Ahithophel felt this strong statement would give courage to Absalom’s followers.

In the ancient world, taking the king’s concubines was not only an act of immorality; but also an act of treason. This was a way for Absalom to not only replace David but also to completely repudiate his father.

Why did Ahithophel give such radical advice? Because it made sense from his own self-interest. Ahithophel had the most to lose if Absalom failed to keep the throne or if David and Absalom reconciled. He would be revealed and rejected as a traitor.​

I need to review. Back in 2 Samuel, Nathan was lecturing David on the trouble David was bringing on himself with Bathsheba, Uriah's wife. When David got Bathsheba pregnant, he tried to cover it up by having Bathsheba sleep with her husband. Her husband wouldn't go back to his wife as long as the rest of his troops were in harms way. So David set up a battle that was doomed to failure so that Uriah would be killed in battle. God didn't like any of this junk David was pulling off. Remember a bored man can get himself in all kinds of trouble. Anyway.... God, through Nathan the prophet, told David that there would be a horrible calamity. He also told him, in verse 11, that someone would sleep with his wives in broad daylight.

Meanwhile, Absolom was upset with David. Amnon, one of David's other sons, raped Tamar. Tamar was one of David's daughters, Absolom's sister and Amnon's half sister. Abosolom waited for years but he finally murdered Amnon and then campaigned against his father, David, using what he probably called the broken Justice System as his inspiration. [IMHO] When he had successfully concluded the fourth year of campaign against David.... Absolom was ready to take the throne from his father.

David didn't want to cause a big battle inside Jerusalem. When those Israeli's fought, it was to the death. Absolom would have had to murder every single person in town. That's the way they took over cities. David didn't want that. He decided to leave town, with everyone in his household except those 10 concubines. He left them on the roof [where Absolom has now pitched his tent] to take care of the property while David was gone. David hoped to return.

Meanwhile, David sent a thorn for Absolom to deal with. See Absolom took one of David's top advisors, Ahithophel. David was aware of just how talented Ahithophel was so he sent Hushai to counter any advice Ahithophel offered. So Hushai pretends to be loyal to the throne rather than the person. He says he'll be loyal to "whoever the people choose".

Unfortunately, Ahithophel's first suggestion to Absolom is that Absolom sleep with David's concubines. Hushai didn't stop that from happening.

:coffee:

Last edited: