Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: Food Stamp Households Drop Below 20 Million

  1. #1
    professional daydreamer mAlice's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Wonderland
    Posts
    38,095

    Food Stamp Households Drop Below 20 Million

    The latest data from the USDA reveals that the number of households on food stamps in February 2018 dropped to 19,992,124—the first time it fell below 20 million since September 2010, when 19,979,385 households were enrolled in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).

    The USDA notes that not only is the number of households receiving food stamps at a record low level, but the number of people enrolled in food stamps has also gone down. From January to February of this year alone, overall food stamp enrollment dropped from 40,640,170 to 40,032,131.
    http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm..._medium=social
    Je suis prest

  2. #2
    Um...if the number of households was lower in 2010...how is the current number "at a record low level"??

  3. #3
    professional daydreamer mAlice's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Wonderland
    Posts
    38,095
    Quote Originally Posted by transporter View Post
    Um...if the number of households was lower in 2010...how is the current number "at a record low level"??
    I didn't write the frickin article. The number of households on the dole is down. You can't say anything positive about that? Somehow, I knew you'd be the first to respond to this.
    If I were a better person, I'd feel sorry for you.
    Je suis prest

  4. #4
    Board Mommy vraiblonde's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Off the grid
    Posts
    125,743
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by transporter View Post
    Um...if the number of households was lower in 2010...how is the current number "at a record low level"??
    And this, my friends, is what winning looks like.

    Name:  Trump.JPG
Views: 237
Size:  16.2 KB
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

  5. #5
    If I may ...

    Quote Originally Posted by mAlice View Post
    Food Stamp Households Drop Below 20 Million
    Though these programs are needed, they do not take into account the inflationary effects on income nor are those numbers adjusted proportionality as the value of the dollar falls. Say the threshold for eligibility for SNAP benefits for a family of four caps at $27,000. If that family has an increase of income to $27,700, they no longer qualify and are dropped from the rolls. Yet, inflation has caused the cost of everything else the family pays for to increase, negating their increase in income leaving them actually worse shape because of the loss of purchasing power. The eligibility levels are never increased to reflect the actual levels of inflation. (I'm referring to actual inflation, not the government massaged inflation numbers) If they were to be, there would actually be an increase in food stamp usage. Ever thought you'd see $5.00 a pound for bacon? Hamburger? Notice how now it is standard in many grocery stores to see many products have a big round $5 price label indicating a supposed great deal? If the numbers were ever to be honest coming out of government, there would be an increase of millions more on the food stamp program due to the erosion, and loss of purchasing power, of the US dollar. What you see happening with the food stamp program is not a good thing. It is not winning. It is the people losing.

    U.S. Inflation Accelerates to Six-Year High, Eroding Wages
    If the military wanted you to have a spouse, or family, they would have issued you one.

  6. #6
    professional daydreamer mAlice's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Wonderland
    Posts
    38,095
    Quote Originally Posted by LightRoasted View Post
    If I may ...



    Though these programs are needed, they do not take into account the inflationary effects on income nor are those numbers adjusted proportionality as the value of the dollar falls. Say the threshold for eligibility for SNAP benefits for a family of four caps at $27,000. If that family has an increase of income to $27,700, they no longer qualify and are dropped from the rolls. Yet, inflation has caused the cost of everything else the family pays for to increase, negating their increase in income leaving them actually worse shape because of the loss of purchasing power. The eligibility levels are never increased to reflect the actual levels of inflation. (I'm referring to actual inflation, not the government massaged inflation numbers) If they were to be, there would actually be an increase in food stamp usage. Ever thought you'd see $5.00 a pound for bacon? Hamburger? Notice how now it is standard in many grocery stores to see many products have a big round $5 price label indicating a supposed great deal? If the numbers were ever to be honest coming out of government, there would be an increase of millions more on the food stamp program due to the erosion, and loss of purchasing power, of the US dollar. What you see happening with the food stamp program is not a good thing. It is not winning. It is the people losing.

    U.S. Inflation Accelerates to Six-Year High, Eroding Wages
    Start your own thread.
    Je suis prest

  7. #7
    I bowl overhand itsbob's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Patuxent, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    41,054
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by LightRoasted View Post
    If I may ...



    Though these programs are needed, they do not take into account the inflationary effects on income nor are those numbers adjusted proportionality as the value of the dollar falls. Say the threshold for eligibility for SNAP benefits for a family of four caps at $27,000. If that family has an increase of income to $27,700, they no longer qualify and are dropped from the rolls. Yet, inflation has caused the cost of everything else the family pays for to increase, negating their increase in income leaving them actually worse shape because of the loss of purchasing power. The eligibility levels are never increased to reflect the actual levels of inflation. (I'm referring to actual inflation, not the government massaged inflation numbers) If they were to be, there would actually be an increase in food stamp usage. Ever thought you'd see $5.00 a pound for bacon? Hamburger? Notice how now it is standard in many grocery stores to see many products have a big round $5 price label indicating a supposed great deal? If the numbers were ever to be honest coming out of government, there would be an increase of millions more on the food stamp program due to the erosion, and loss of purchasing power, of the US dollar. What you see happening with the food stamp program is not a good thing. It is not winning. It is the people losing.

    U.S. Inflation Accelerates to Six-Year High, Eroding Wages
    But wouldn't you agree, if you were able bodied that you should be embarrassed to have to depend on the government to feed your family?

    There are places in this country where SNAP, and welfare are generational.. they don't want to do anything better, or anything to better themselves.. Welfare was good enough for my parents, it's good enough for me.

    How do you propose we remove those 5 million or so households from the rolls??
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

    Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

  8. #8
    I bowl overhand itsbob's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Patuxent, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    41,054
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by LightRoasted View Post
    If I may ...



    Though these programs are needed, they do not take into account the inflationary effects on income nor are those numbers adjusted proportionality as the value of the dollar falls. Say the threshold for eligibility for SNAP benefits for a family of four caps at $27,000. If that family has an increase of income to $27,700, they no longer qualify and are dropped from the rolls. Yet, inflation has caused the cost of everything else the family pays for to increase, negating their increase in income leaving them actually worse shape because of the loss of purchasing power. The eligibility levels are never increased to reflect the actual levels of inflation. (I'm referring to actual inflation, not the government massaged inflation numbers) If they were to be, there would actually be an increase in food stamp usage. Ever thought you'd see $5.00 a pound for bacon? Hamburger? Notice how now it is standard in many grocery stores to see many products have a big round $5 price label indicating a supposed great deal? If the numbers were ever to be honest coming out of government, there would be an increase of millions more on the food stamp program due to the erosion, and loss of purchasing power, of the US dollar. What you see happening with the food stamp program is not a good thing. It is not winning. It is the people losing.

    U.S. Inflation Accelerates to Six-Year High, Eroding Wages
    But wouldn't you agree, if you were able bodied that you should be embarrassed to have to depend on the government to feed your family?

    There are places in this country where SNAP, and welfare are generational.. they don't want to do anything better, or anything to better themselves.. Welfare was good enough for my parents, it's good enough for me.

    How do you propose we remove those 5 million or so households from the rolls??
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

    Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

  9. #9
    Registered User luvmygdaughters's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2009
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    5,340
    Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    But wouldn't you agree, if you were able bodied that you should be embarrassed to have to depend on the government to feed your family?

    There are places in this country where SNAP, and welfare are generational.. they don't want to do anything better, or anything to better themselves.. Welfare was good enough for my parents, it's good enough for me.

    How do you propose we remove those 5 million or so households from the rolls??
    This is so true. If you live in a family where the parent(s) work than you are more inclined to follow in your parents lead. Same with those who grow up in a home where the family is living off of government subsidies, if thats what you're used to, you are more inclined to follow in the footsteps. Not saying this is the case in all circumstances, but, it does happen. And before every body jumps down my throat about the elderly and disabled, my father worked until 3 years before his death, he was 78 when he passed away. He was disabled with a bad hip. He worked for an old folks home as a handyman. He never took a penny in government subsidies.

  10. #10
    professional daydreamer mAlice's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Wonderland
    Posts
    38,095
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmygdaughters View Post
    This is so true. If you live in a family where the parent(s) work than you are more inclined to follow in your parents lead. Same with those who grow up in a home where the family is living off of government subsidies, if thats what you're used to, you are more inclined to follow in the footsteps. Not saying this is the case in all circumstances, but, it does happen. And before every body jumps down my throat about the elderly and disabled, my father worked until 3 years before his death, he was 78 when he passed away. He was disabled with a bad hip. He worked for an old folks home as a handyman. He never took a penny in government subsidies.
    I'll probably still be working 3 days after I die. I've made it this far without one, my parents as well. There were plenty of times that we could have gone on the dole, but as long as we were able to put beans and rice on the table, we didn't. The problem with many who are on welfare these days is that they think 1) it's owed to them, 2) they're supposed to have everything that their working peers have, without working for it. I don't mind my tax dollars going to help those truly in need, and still give in other ways, but I have a huge problem with the career moochers.
    Je suis prest

Members who have read this thread: 53

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |