Trump to (maybe) end joint military exercises with South Korea

Chris0nllyn

U.S. President Donald Trump’s declaration on Tuesday that he intended to end joint military exercises with South Korea took South Korean and U.S. military officials by surprise.

Trump also said he wants “at some point” to withdraw the American troops currently in South Korea.

“We have right now 32,000 soldiers in South Korea, and I’d like to be able to bring them back home. But that’s not part of the equation right now,” Trump said.

Asked about the plan to halt exercises, a U.S. official who spoke on condition of anonymity shrugged and called it a political, not military, decision.

A South Korean official said he initially thought Trump had misspoken.

“I was shocked when he called the exercises ‘provocative,’ a very unlikely word to be used by a U.S. president,” the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...litary-exercises-in-south-korea-idUSKBN1J812W

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Just carrots, I'd say. Symbolic gestures. The exercises can be put right back on schedule if progress on the negotiations isn't made.

transporter

Just carrots, I'd say. Symbolic gestures. The exercises can be put right back on schedule if progress on the negotiations isn't made.

Carrots? That is your explanation why Trump gave away everything NORK wanted and got nothing in return?

Trump didn't consult with S Korea (you know OUR ALLIES!!!). Trump didn't consult with the Pentagon. Trump obviously wasn't prepared. He just walked in, dropped his pants and bent over.

"Great Negotiator"! For who? Russia and China? Christ, why didn't Trump just hand over the title to all the ships in the Pacific Fleet?

He wants to stop "wargames" (note the NORK terminology...not OUR terminology) because it will "save money"?!?! 10 days ago this buffoon is at a rally proclaiming how he and HE ALONE got the defense budget up to $700B! Now he is going to purposefully degrade the readiness of our troops to save money?? WTF! Love to hear all you "Patriots" rationalize that one away.

Trump is a moron...he has no skills for the job...he has no idea what he is doing---or if he does he sure as sh!t isn't operating in the best interests of the US or our actual allies.

Of course in 24-48 hours, Trump will begin his patented denials that he ever offered anyone, anything at anytime in his life and conclude every question with "We'll see."

The whole world knows Trump got played. Only Fox News and the cultists think he scored a 10! (The happy smiley crew on Fox this morning was something to watch.)

SamSpade

Carrots? That is your explanation why Trump gave away everything NORK wanted and got nothing in return?

Trump didn't consult with S Korea (you know OUR ALLIES!!!). Trump didn't consult with the Pentagon. Trump obviously wasn't prepared. He just walked in, dropped his pants and bent over.

"Great Negotiator"! For who? Russia and China? Christ, why didn't Trump just hand over the title to all the ships in the Pacific Fleet?

He wants to stop "wargames" (note the NORK terminology...not OUR terminology) because it will "save money"?!?! 10 days ago this buffoon is at a rally proclaiming how he and HE ALONE got the defense budget up to $700B! Now he is going to purposefully degrade the readiness of our troops to save money?? WTF! Love to hear all you "Patriots" rationalize that one away.

Trump is a moron...he has no skills for the job...he has no idea what he is doing---or if he does he sure as sh!t isn't operating in the best interests of the US or our actual allies.

Of course in 24-48 hours, Trump will begin his patented denials that he ever offered anyone, anything at anytime in his life and conclude every question with "We'll see."

The whole world knows Trump got played. Only Fox News and the cultists think he scored a 10! (The happy smiley crew on Fox this morning was something to watch.)

Weren't you JUST telling us this meeting was CANCLED?

So what are we to believe now?

Hijinx

Gee Tranny must be really high up in the Trump staff to know what he got in return if anything.
She seems to know a lot more than anyone else.

Chris0nllyn

PS, you were hyperventilating so hard you linked the wrong story. Here's the correct one.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...litary-exercises-in-south-korea-idUSKBN1J812W

I guess if you've got a preconceived notion about someone, you'd think that, but outside of me simply reporting the news, note that the link changes when you get to the end of the story to the link I posted (because the stories change). But thank you for providing that. I updated the OP.

Chris0nllyn

Gee Tranny must be really high up in the Trump staff to know what he got in return if anything.
She seems to know a lot more than anyone else.

"She" is not the only one. From the article:

Although the Pentagon said Defense Secretary Jim Mattis was consulted ahead of time, current and former U.S. defense officials expressed concern at the possibility that the United States would unilaterally halt military exercises without an explicit concession from North Korea lowering the threat from Pyongyang.

“I’m sort of stunned about how much we gave up and how little we got in return,” said one former official, saying the decision “borders on irresponsible” and would erode readiness and diminish the credibility of the U.S.-South Korean alliance.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I completely fail to see how a "moratorium" on joint training exercises gives anything of real substance away to the NORKs. If they act stupid, the routine exercises could be back on in short order and "business as usual" could continue.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I completely fail to see how a "moratorium" on joint training exercises gives anything of real substance away to the NORKs. If they act stupid, the routine exercises could be back on in short order and "business as usual" could continue.

. Seriously. And we just completed exercises.

We don't conduct those military exercises every day. He didn't pull troops out of South Korea. He didn't tell our ships the steer clear of that region. That's a nonissue.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
. Seriously. And we just completed exercises.

We don't conduct those military exercises every day. He didn't pull troops out of South Korea. He didn't tell our ships the steer clear of that region. That's a nonissue.

I'll know something of substance has occurred when the RoK Navy starts cancelling or scaling back various projects we're...erm..."aware of".

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You know, all this guy wants is to be recognized as a national leader, which he is. Obama was such a condescending little #### who thinks the only important person on the face of the earth is him. Trump met with Kim, treated him with respect, and I'm pretty sure that will go a lot further than Barry's half-assed threats and bribes.

This is actually quite a huge deal, and it's amusing to see the sour grapes from the Left. Trump has shown himself to be a statesman, and it galls their ass. :lol:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Trump has shown himself to be a statesman, and it galls their ass. :lol:

Yep. That's it in a nutshell. I have to say though..he's doing better than I had expected he could..even allowing for the "wild card disrupter" part that I figured could be a good thing.