Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Codicil to a will

Yes, you should have a medical directive/advance directive or durable power of attorney.

Good news - there are free forms on the Maryland Attorney General website. Lots of info & the form may be lengthy but this is a great service http://www.marylandattorneygeneral.g...irectives.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by SailorGirl View Post
    On a side note. I finished a rough draft of the Codicil. I thought when I first had my will done that there was stuff in there about my funeral wishes but there isn't.

So two further questions. I went to the doctor the other day and they asked me if my "something" was on file. I got the impression they were talking about life saving stuff/measures etc but for the life of me I can't remember what they called it. I plan to live forever was apparently not what they were looking for; so it definitely has something to do with death.
    Advanced Medical Directive. Common form, can be found online easily, there are different versions depending on the state, but you don't have to use the MD version. Some are more detailed than others. They always ask if you have one "just in case". It outlines your preference for Do Not Resuscitate (DNR) and other options.

And sorry, didn't mean to frighten you with the anesthesia stuff. Just relaying my parent experience. Talk to your doc and confirm how you want to be sedated.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

True I guess that you don't have to use the Maryland version, but I would go with the Atty General website version ensuring that it will hold up should it need to

I'm so glad that you responded. When it was mentioned in other posts, that you're not put to sleep and I couldn't for the life of me imagine me being awake during anything involving my eye. How did it turn out for you - how long before you could see?
    It was great! You (I'm assuming everyone does) go home with a protective covering on the eye, I went to see the doctor the next day for him to examine. I could see good right away but it does take a few days or more for the full effect. I had to sleep with the covering over the eye for a week or so just for protection in case you jab your eye in your sleep. I've had to wear glasses since I was 10 and the new lens gave me 20/20 vision. Unreal, I've never been able to see like this that I can remember. I do have to use reading glasses now but that's no big deal, that just comes with age anyway. The twilight is anesthesia, an anesthesiologist is in the room and talks to you before the surgery. Once it's in your IV, you won't care what they do to you lol. Good luck, you'll be fine. Let us know how it goes.

That's it - Advanced Directive! A couple more days of paperwork and I'm ready to die. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by mitzi View Post
    It was great! You (I'm assuming everyone does) go home with a protective covering on the eye, I went to see the doctor the next day for him to examine. I could see good right away but it does take a few days or more for the full effect. I had to sleep with the covering over the eye for a week or so just for protection in case you jab your eye in your sleep. I've had to wear glasses since I was 10 and the new lens gave me 20/20 vision. Unreal, I've never been able to see like this that I can remember. I do have to use reading glasses now but that's no big deal, that just comes with age anyway. The twilight is anesthesia, an anesthesiologist is in the room and talks to you before the surgery. Once it's in your IV, you won't care what they do to you lol. Good luck, you'll be fine. Let us know how it goes.
    Thanks - huge sigh of relief. Glad yours went well and really good to have all the info. I don't know anyone who's had this done and your post really helped. I'll keep you posted - I go in for surgery mid August.

Thanks - huge sigh of relief. Glad yours went well and really good to have all the info. I don't know anyone who's had this done and your post really helped. I'll keep you posted - I go in for surgery mid August.
    Glad I could ease your mind. I was uneasy about it too not knowing quite what to expect. Which doctor is doing the surgery?

Quote Originally Posted by RoseRed View Post
    Medical Directive?
    It's a separate instrument..
    No one cares.

Don't feel stupid. You HAVE to protect yourself and your family. Make sure you have the directive and DNR done. Make sure the hospital staff AND your family all have copies of it also!
    and above all I hope your not having this done at Southern Maryland Hospital...…….. My husband went in on April 3rd for what should have been a simple neck fusion... He died on May 9th from Anoxic brain injury because the crash cart on the floor lacked what they needed to intubate him. He was without oxygen for 12 minutes!!!! On a side note, it was done at this hospital because it was there or Georgetown and he didn't want me to have to drive all the way up there.... Same doctor who did his lower back 4 years (to the day) earlier.... Seem unreal? Yeah, it still does to me too...……..

'NORTHERN BORN-SOUTHERN BRED'

"Make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver, the other gold."

It takes a friend to be a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Suz View Post
    Don't feel stupid. You HAVE to protect yourself and your family. Make sure you have the directive and DNR done. Make sure the hospital staff AND your family all have copies of it also!
    and above all I hope your not having this done at Southern Maryland Hospital...…….. My husband went in on April 3rd for what should have been a simple neck fusion... He died on May 9th from Anoxic brain injury because the crash cart on the floor lacked what they needed to intubate him. He was without oxygen for 12 minutes!!!! On a side note, it was done at this hospital because it was there or Georgetown and he didn't want me to have to drive all the way up there.... Same doctor who did his lower back 4 years (to the day) earlier.... Seem unreal? Yeah, it still does to me too...……..
    Because that is just what someone wants to read before they have surgery...

I find it interesting how in a hospital full of medical degrees, no one leaned over and gave him mouth to mouth? It not like special instruments are needed..
    No reply is needed, Start another thread / pm if you feel that's necessary.
    No one cares.

Members who have read this thread: 56