Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Codicil to a will

Codicil to a will

Anyone here ever done one before? I've been trying to read up on it for the last couple of hours and I'm getting nowhere. Maybe someone could point me in the right direction please? I don't want to get lawyer because I'm only removing my bloodsucking brother's name and that should be simple right?

I would agree that this is pretty good guidance. Be sure that you do not sign the document until you have 2 to 3 witnesses. These should be people who will not benefit at all from your estate. Sign in their presence, then they sign as witnesses and they should include their addresses on the documents.
    Was your original Will filed with the Register of Wills in the county where you live? If so contact that office about adding this Codicil to the Will. Contact the person you name to be your personal representative (executor) and advise them of this document. In fact it doesn't hurt to have two or more originals, one with the original will, one with your personal rep

Thanks, haven't seen that one yet. I've been searching under codicils in Maryland thinking that each state has different ideas on how it should be done but if I get it and get it witnessed properly and notarized and filed with my will on file - they're supposed to honor your wishes I would think.

I'm getting operated on in August and keep thinking I won't come out of it - just being stupid I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Potomac View Post
    I would agree that this is pretty good guidance. Be sure that you do not sign the document until you have 2 to 3 witnesses. These should be people who will not benefit at all from your estate. Sign in their presence, then they sign as witnesses and they should include their addresses on the documents.
    Was your original Will filed with the Register of Wills in the county where you live? If so contact that office about adding this Codicil to the Will. Contact the person you name to be your personal representative (executor) and advise them of this document. In fact it doesn't hurt to have two or more originals, one with the original will, one with your personal rep
    Thank you - yes it was filed in St Mary's County - Register of Wills? Is that the right place? I'm thinking it might be a good idea to get it notarized as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SailorGirl View Post
    I'm getting operated on in August and keep thinking I won't come out of it - just being stupid I hope.
    I made sure all my paperwork was in order last time I had major surgery too. Not so much thinking I wouldn't make it, it was the "just in case" thought. Good planning on your part, regardless.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    I made sure all my paperwork was in order last time I had major surgery too. Not so much thinking I wouldn't make it, it was the "just in case" thought.
    Whaddo I get, ole buddy? :battingeyes:
    "Dark humor is like food. Not everyone gets it." - J. Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    I made sure all my paperwork was in order last time I had major surgery too. Not so much thinking I wouldn't make it, it was the "just in case" thought. Good planning on your part, regardless.
    Mine's not even major. Cataract removal. I'm just so nervous about it.

Quote Originally Posted by SailorGirl View Post
    Mine's not even major. Cataract removal. I'm just so nervous about it.
    You don't go under for that usually.
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

My last back surgery was almost 6 hours long...pretty major stuff. Freaked some family out that I went in to it with no will. Gotta do something about that...
    "Dark humor is like food. Not everyone gets it." - J. Stalin

Members who have read this thread: 105