Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grand Canyon - any tips?

Blog Entries

Grand Canyon - any tips?

We're heading for Grand Canyon Fall '19. Will be in the motorhome, probably stay in Flagstaff.

Who's been and wants to tell me about your trip and share tips?
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    We're heading for Grand Canyon Fall '19. Will be in the motorhome, probably stay in Flagstaff.

No tip, as I've never been there, but are you going to do the glass walkway?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle View Post
    no tip, as i've never been there, but are you going to do the glass walkway?
    yes!!
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Don't step too close to the edge?
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Yep, the collective demends some cool glass walkway pics. :) Is there anything there to commerorate any of the canyon jump attempts? I would avoid any helicopter tours. :)
    "I aim to misbehave."

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post

I've been.

No tips. Just enjoy the view!

I found it breathtaking. My wife found it to be a big uninteresting hole in the ground.
    --
    Well, it's been in your mouth for like, three hours. It feels like it's full of water.

Lurking in the background in flat, humid Fl
    You will not be able to do any real driving in the park - you can only drive so far and then have to take buses around the rim area. No matter - it is worth every minute - the views are spectacular. If you want to take a real hike, the rim to rim is about 23 miles long, and will take a well conditioned adult about 16 - 18 hours to do it. I did it once, and never, ever, again. Left before dawn, about 0400 on Bright Angel Trail, hiked down, across the river, up the north rim, and back, Got back around 2200 with a bit of daylight left. Vertigo is a possibility standing on the edge of the rim or even on the trails, so watch your step. If you sit in one spot for three or four hours, the color change is amazing. I don't think the skywalk is in the park, but on the reservation by the Crazy Horse carving. You will not regret any part of your visit at all. The North rim is much less accessible, but no crowds, and at places 1600 feet higher in elevation, so a jacket or sweatshirt handy would be a good idea.
    "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress." John Adams

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxick View Post
    I've been.
    Tell me about your trip. How long were you there? Where did you stay? What did you do?
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by b23hqb View Post
    You will not be able to do any real driving in the park - you can only drive so far and then have to take buses around the rim area. No matter - it is worth every minute - the views are spectacular. If you want to take a real hike, the rim to rim is about 23 miles long, and will take a well conditioned adult about 16 - 18 hours to do it. I did it once, and never, ever, again. Left before dawn, about 0400 on Bright Angel Trail, hiked down, across the river, up the north rim, and back, Got back around 2200 with a bit of daylight left. Vertigo is a possibility standing on the edge of the rim or even on the trails, so watch your step. If you sit in one spot for three or four hours, the color change is amazing. I don't think the skywalk is in the park, but on the reservation by the Crazy Horse carving. You will not regret any part of your visit at all. The North rim is much less accessible, but no crowds, and at places 1600 feet higher in elevation, so a jacket or sweatshirt handy would be a good idea.
    Did you go to the reservation?

I'm thinking we'll probably have to stay a month in Flagstaff just to be able to see everything in that general area.
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Read this: https://www.amazon.com/Over-Edge-Can...+over+the+edge

Distant relative collaborated on https://www.amazon.com/Off-Wall-Yose...KA9VD8S8D8YH9R

Both very interesting reads.
    Je suis prest

Members who have read this thread: 41