Highly successful women with dirtbags?

PeoplesElbow

I know a couple highly successful women (career wise) who are with guys that aren't exactly ambitious in life. One of the guys has been fired from a couple jobs for not coming to work half the time, he is so lazy he doesn't bathe that often (from the smell of it). I just don't see the attraction to guys that mooch off them and only sort of hold down a job.

Ladies, why?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
That's the biggest thing that's annoying me about Sons of Anarchy - Tara and Jax. Are you freaking kidding me???

However:

What women really want, especially when they are in a man's world with their career, is to feel like a woman. To be loved and cared for emotionally. A woman will put up with a lot of crap from a guy who at least acts like he treasures her and is the male to her female. This is where "successful" men with boatloads of money and stuff go awry: *they* are the stars of their relationship and don't give their woman the affection and love she needs to be happy.

Dumb men say things like, "Oh, he must have a really big hmm-hmm," which explains why they don't have a devoted woman buzzing around them. It's not about the big hmm-hmm or the big wallet; it's about the big affection and making her feel wanted.

Blister

I know a couple highly successful women (career wise) who are with guys that aren't exactly ambitious in life. One of the guys has been fired from a couple jobs for not coming to work half the time, he is so lazy he doesn't bathe that often (from the smell of it). I just don't see the attraction to guys that mooch off them and only sort of hold down a job.

Ladies, why?

What is the ratio of that situation to the opposite, where a man works himself into an early grave supporting a female with no visible redeeming character traits?

PeoplesElbow

That's the biggest thing that's annoying me about Sons of Anarchy - Tara and Jax. Are you freaking kidding me???

However:

What women really want, especially when they are in a man's world with their career, is to feel like a woman. To be loved and cared for emotionally. A woman will put up with a lot of crap from a guy who at least acts like he treasures her and is the male to her female. This is where "successful" men with boatloads of money and stuff go awry: *they* are the stars of their relationship and don't give their woman the affection and love she needs to be happy.

Dumb men say things like, "Oh, he must have a really big hmm-hmm," which explains why they don't have a devoted woman buzzing around them. It's not about the big hmm-hmm or the big wallet; it's about the big affection and making her feel wanted.

Well in at least one of these cases the guy sure doesn't act like he cherishes her, he goes out drinking with the guys while she goes to bed early so she can go to work and he calls out so often with a hangover that he has almost been fired multiple times. This guy isn't even the bad boy type, just a loser that hasn't grown up yet.

I know another guy whose wife I wouldn't call highly successful, but more so than him. He talks bad about her all the time, calls her fat and on travel looks for someone to cheat with the entire time. This poor girl even bought her own wedding ring.

I just don't get it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Well in at least one of these cases the guy sure doesn't act like he cherishes her, he goes out drinking with the guys while she goes to bed early so she can go to work and he calls out so often with a hangover that he has almost been fired multiple times. This guy isn't even the bad boy type, just a loser that hasn't grown up yet.

I know another guy whose wife I wouldn't call highly successful, but more so than him. He talks bad about her all the time, calls her fat and on travel looks for someone to cheat with the entire time. This poor girl even bought her own wedding ring.

Oh well, I tried. :shrug:

I have no idea why people stick with a mate that treats them like crap and is a waste in general. Low self-esteem? Don't think they can do any better?

PeoplesElbow

What is the ratio of that situation to the opposite, where a man works himself into an early grave supporting a female with no visible redeeming character traits?

Those situations are almost always based on what she looks like....

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

I just don't get it.

I think that's just a dysfunctional relationship regardless of whether it was a man or a woman - nothing like what Vrai was describing. I agree with her take about women who want to feel cherished and loved in their relationship.

SamSpade

Oh well, I tried. :shrug:

I have no idea why people stick with a mate that treats them like crap and is a waste in general. Low self-esteem? Don't think they can do any better?

When I've seen it, it's for the same reason highly successful MEN are with women who - looks notwithstanding - don't really have much going for them otherwise.

They're disposable.

A man or woman with a human piece of excrement who is NOT successful might have all kinds of issues, but one that is doesn't NEED them.
If your significant other is nothing more than arm candy, you don't need them.