Impeachment

SamSpade

Since Bill Clinton's impeachment, there's been a serious interest in this aspect of our Constitution and government.
Namely, the removal from office a person for the reason of "high crimes and misdemeanours".

I've begun to think that "process crime" - the crimes occurring within the scope of an investigation - are not what the Founders were looking at -
are bull#### - my perspective of the impeachment of Clinton has changed. While I believe the Clintons were as dirty as they come -
perjury and obstruction of justice don't really fall in the scope of impeachment. Yeah, he was a pig who was guilty as sin -
but it's like giving the death penalty to Capone for tax evasion. He deserves it - but not based on the crimes he's been found guilty of.

I hate the fact that people like Scooter Libby were found guilty of a process crime while investigating a crime that no one was
found guilty of committing.

I've been looking at impeachment since Clinton - and was surprised to learn that both Bush and Obama have been the targets of impeachment
proceedings even if they were not widely reported in the news.

We know that Trump has been the target of impeachment - the reason why *I* personally don't support them is, I think they are just
---- sour grapes. They lost. They didn't think they would lose, and they bawled and sobbed when they lost. And they began impeachment
efforts BEFORE he even took the oath of office. The whole idea of impeachment is, you remove a person who has become a tyrant and has
violated the trust of the American people. They wanted him out before he even started. So I don't trust their motives.

On HERE, the most truculent proponent of impeachment uses the idea of being "unfit" or "unqualified" or inept. That's not rising to the level
of criminality. You don't like the choice of the American voter. Too bad. That's the way it works. You want him out, you have 2020. That's how
we dealt with Clinton in 96 and Obama in 2012. You have an election. Deal with it.

But I never realized that since Clinton's impeachment in 1998 - there's been no end to efforts to unseat the President (or vice President - there
were efforts to unseat Dick Cheney, also). What the f*** has happened to us? Can't we just do what the Brooklyn Dodgers famously said -
"Wait Till Next Year"? Why does it have to be life and death?

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
:yay:

If there was grounds for action it was with the chinese money not a blowjob.

This_person

Since Bill Clinton's impeachment, there's been a serious interest in this aspect of our Constitution and government.
Namely, the removal from office a person for the reason of "high crimes and misdemeanours".

I've begun to think that "process crime" - the crimes occurring within the scope of an investigation - are not what the Founders were looking at -
are bull#### - my perspective of the impeachment of Clinton has changed. While I believe the Clintons were as dirty as they come -
perjury and obstruction of justice don't really fall in the scope of impeachment. Yeah, he was a pig who was guilty as sin -
but it's like giving the death penalty to Capone for tax evasion. He deserves it - but not based on the crimes he's been found guilty of.

I hate the fact that people like Scooter Libby were found guilty of a process crime while investigating a crime that no one was
found guilty of committing.

I've been looking at impeachment since Clinton - and was surprised to learn that both Bush and Obama have been the targets of impeachment
proceedings even if they were not widely reported in the news.

We know that Trump has been the target of impeachment - the reason why *I* personally don't support them is, I think they are just
---- sour grapes. They lost. They didn't think they would lose, and they bawled and sobbed when they lost. And they began impeachment
efforts BEFORE he even took the oath of office. The whole idea of impeachment is, you remove a person who has become a tyrant and has
violated the trust of the American people. They wanted him out before he even started. So I don't trust their motives.

On HERE, the most truculent proponent of impeachment uses the idea of being "unfit" or "unqualified" or inept. That's not rising to the level
of criminality. You don't like the choice of the American voter. Too bad. That's the way it works. You want him out, you have 2020. That's how
we dealt with Clinton in 96 and Obama in 2012. You have an election. Deal with it.

But I never realized that since Clinton's impeachment in 1998 - there's been no end to efforts to unseat the President (or vice President - there
were efforts to unseat Dick Cheney, also). What the f*** has happened to us? Can't we just do what the Brooklyn Dodgers famously said -

I don't personally have a problem with a representative looking into impeachment of any appropriate government person - targeting them for impeachment proceedings. I actually like a representative who is skeptical of their peers and is looking into any of them for any reason. The reason I have no issues with that is the process stops ones that are for stupid reasons or have no basis in fact. Those are a waste of time, and sometimes one does not know that until they are investigated.

I am not advocating for or supporting the endless investigations into anyone. As I said, only some investigations are known to be a waste of time up front, and some are not. The ones that are known to be a waste of time should be handled by the representatives' constituents next election, or by the Ethics committee.

I also know that we need to repeal the 17th amendment and give states voices in the federal government again. That will provide an entirely different aspect to all of it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If there was grounds for action it was with the chinese money not a blowjob.

My comment at the time was, "Well, they finally convicted Capone on tax evasion, so...."

My WTF moment was when Clinton paid off that judge to dismiss the Paula Jones case. That's when I realized that powerful people can do whatever they want, and us little folks have no protection and no recourse.

Anyway, regarding OP, we've allowed our political parties to rule us instead of the other way around. "We" impeached "their" guy, and they've been itching for payback ever since. It's a bloodsport now.

transporter

Since I constantly point out that Trump IS unfit, unqualified and incompetent, I assume you are referencing me at the "truculent proponent" of impeachment. Please, show all the posts where I have called for the impeachment of Trump. I don't recall having done that.

My point, which none of you morons seem to understand, is the simple, basic and obvious fact that Trump IS unfit, Trump IS unqualified and Trump IS incompetent. That is not a call for impeachment...that is a simple statement of fact to the cultists and ignorati. Trump has no business being President of the US. He proves it on a daily basis.

I didn't vote for Hillary Clinton. I didn't vote for Donald Trump either. I voted for an ACTUAL Republican who had ACTUAL experience and who GENUINELY seemed to care ABOUT THE COUNTRY AS A WHOLE. Trump doesn't give two sh!ts about this country...he is just a carnival barker trying to get you rubes to pay to see the bearded lady.

Maybe you should start paying attention. If you didn't think there were efforts against Obama and Bush (43), you obviously are not paying attention.

What has happened to us? That is pretty simple. We've become progressively more stupid...despite the ease at which we can look things up and confirm or deny a report, everyone just believes the BS the people like comrade GURPS believe...or folks like VRAI are so psychologically bound to their exceedingly poor choice of candidates that they refuse to believe, or even read, anything that will in any way confirm how poor their choice was.

SamSpade

I remember a few cases against Obama and Bush - I just thought them ridiculous, frivolous and not worthy of much attention.

Just like the myriad cases of states wanting to break off into other states - or from the country. They are always happening - they're just stupid and unlikely to happen.
(Although I WAS sort of in favor of the DelMarVa splinter, since Maryland state politics tends to ignore everything except Baltimore and the DC burbs.)

My wife and finished up the second season of "The Good Fight" (a continuation of "The Good Wife", which while mildly political was not obtusely so).
One whole part of the season's arc was devoted to the DNC "coming up" with impeachment articles. They tasked our beloved firm with coming up with SOMETHING to impeach him on.
At least one lawyer is horrified at the idea of perverting the law by trying to FIND a crime so they can eject a man from office.

Much of the episodes that follow skirt this idea with the premise that he needs to go and ANY excuse will do.

I'm deeply concerned that people cannot just accept - we lost, better luck next time.
The Republicans dig in their heels - as do the Democrats - and declare - "we're going to make sure you don't accomplish ANYTHING of merit, so that come re-election - we will BEAT you".
The Democrats are not so gracious - their modus operandi is - we will maneuver to retake the House so we can concoct a list of articles of impeachment - and they don't have to resemble
anything factual, because the members of our party will vote unanimously on them, even if we're claiming you killed Jimmy Hoffa or shot J.R.

I watched in horror when Jimmy won in '76. He proved to be a terrible President, but admittedly I wasn't crazy about Reagan either, and did not vote for him.
I watched similarly in horror when the nation elected Clinton and Obama - twice. Each time, the idea was "we'll do better NEXT time".

No more. Now the word of the day is "impeach". Impeach at all costs. F*** high crimes and misdemeanors. Just get him out under any circumstances.

What will they do once they evict Trump? Move against Pence? He will have nominated another VP by then. It's stupid. And petty.
Why do we do this?

SamSpade

I voted for an ACTUAL Republican .

Doubtful, since there weren't any other Republicans running.

Unless you're referring to Gary Johnson, who ran as a Libertarian and had NOT run in the Republican primary.
And had not held elective office in 12 years at that point - and had only ever held one office although he was re-elected to it.

PsyOps

Pixelated
My point, which none of you morons seem to understand, is the simple, basic and obvious fact that Trump IS unfit, Trump IS unqualified and Trump IS incompetent. That is not a call for impeachment...that is a simple statement of fact to the cultists and ignorati. Trump has no business being President of the US. He proves it on a daily basis.

Me thinks you don't know what "fact" means.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
My point, which none of you morons ... that is a simple statement of fact to the cultists and ignorati.

still wining friends with your personality and wit

I didn't vote for Hillary Clinton. I didn't vote for Donald Trump either. I voted for an ACTUAL Republican who had ACTUAL experience and who GENUINELY seemed to care ABOUT THE COUNTRY AS A WHOLE.

who exactly was that mystical republican sugar tits

...... everyone just believes the BS the people like comrade GURPS believe ...

you don't know me ....

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
How is it Sam that you don't think that perjury is a "high crime or misdemeanor"? We aren't simply talking about lying during a speech, TV broadcast or during an interview, but lying under oath during a judicial proceeding. That isn't a "process crime", it is an actual crime, one that would land anyone else with up to 5 years in prison.

Hijinx

How is it Sam that you don't think that perjury is a "high crime or misdemeanor"? We aren't simply talking about lying during a speech, TV broadcast or during an interview, but lying under oath during a judicial proceeding. That isn't a "process crime", it is an actual crime, one that would land anyone else with up to 5 years in prison.

I see the FBI charging people with lying to them and getting convictions --I assume--when the person is not even under oath
The Congress accepted Hillary's lies and would not put her under oath.(Whats with that)?
Under oath is perjury and a crime.
Tell me why lying to the FBI while not under oath is a crime?