Satan Can Quote Scripture

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
MSNBC's Ali Velshi went after the Trump administration on Friday by reading multiple passages from the Bible to counter the administration's recent comments that following the law is biblical.

The segment came after Attorney General Jeff Sessions used a passage from the Bible to respond to some church leaders who criticized the administration's stances on illegal immigration. He said, "Persons who violate the law of our nation are subject to prosecution."

"I would cite you to the Apostle Paul and his clear and wise command in Romans 13 to obey the laws of the government because God has ordained them for the purpose of order," Sessions continued.

WATCH: MSNBC Reads The Bible To Attack Trump Administration

brother remove the plank from thine eye before thee worry about the splinter in mine

Hijinx

MSNBC's Ali Velshi went after the Trump administration on Friday by reading multiple passages from the Bible to counter the administration's recent comments that following the law is biblical.

The segment came after Attorney General Jeff Sessions used a passage from the Bible to respond to some church leaders who criticized the administration's stances on illegal immigration. He said, "Persons who violate the law of our nation are subject to prosecution."

"I would cite you to the Apostle Paul and his clear and wise command in Romans 13 to obey the laws of the government because God has ordained them for the purpose of order," Sessions continued.

WATCH: MSNBC Reads The Bible To Attack Trump Administration

brother remove the plank from thine eye before thee worry about the splinter in mine

MSNBC should read the parts about False Prophets.

officeguy

I like the Bible. You can use bible quotes to pretty much justify anything, up to and including stoning your children for talking back

SamSpade

I don't ever recommend quoting the Bible to back up a position - and I hate it when I hear politicians and SJW's quote it, because they're usually wrong about the whole point.
My favorite cases were when Al Gore reversed Matt 6:21 to mean something about caring for the environment (which it doesn't). He said the verse went "Where your heart is, there is your treasure". What was said is, "Where your treasure is, there your heart will be" - right AFTER telling them to store up treasures in heaven. Do THAT, and your heart will also be there.
The other favorite one of mine is the common distortion of being your brother's keeper - a phrase only ever used ONCE in the Bible - where Cain MOCKS GOD with the phrase, because he just killed his brother and wants to know if he's in charge of his brother just as Abel is to the other animals he tends. It does not mean "am I kind and caring for my brother's needs?". It means, screw you God, is Abel my PET, too? Am I his "keeper" - the one who pens him up at night?

When I was in that fundie church, one of our favorite things was to deliberately (in humor) take things out of context in order to justify something we KNEW the Bible wasn't really saying.
My favorite was where Jesus is speaking in Mark 9:50 about salt losing its saltiness, and says "Have salt in yourselves" - which I used to 'prove' Jesus wanted me to saturate my food with salt. The POINT of the lesson is what follows "Have salt in yourselves and be at peace with each other". You're the benefit to this world, but if you're no longer salt, what good is it?

(Something I also didn't know - while salt was very valuable then - our word "salary" comes from the Roman word for salt - it wasn't always very *pure*. Salt could easily leach out of the mass and be - well, basically dirt. Kind of useless.)

Another sets of verses deal with Jesus giving commands to cast their nets on the other side of the boat, and so forth, regarding fishing. So we whimsically would say he wanted us to take the afternoon off and just go fishing. We all KNEW that wasn't the point - but we said it anyway, to be funny.

The Bible does NOT mean whatever people want it to mean, but people have always distorted it to mean what THEY want it to mean. It even says this, itself - that there are parts that are hard to understand, which "ignorant and unstable people distort". Hence, the myriad of heretical groups that sprang up in the first few centuries, saying all kinds of idiotic crap.

I have rarely heard a politician use the Bible in its proper context. I also know that people want to use the Bible to direct the affairs of state. I also know that the press generally does not "get" the Bible any more than they "get" Shakespeare or Greek philosophy, so they can always be relied upon to distort what it says.

officeguy

When I was in that fundie church, one of our favorite things was to deliberately (in humor) take things out of context in order to justify something we KNEW the Bible wasn't really saying.
My favorite was where Jesus is speaking in Mark 9:50 about salt losing its saltiness, and says "Have salt in yourselves" - which I used to 'prove' Jesus wanted me to saturate my food with salt. The POINT of the lesson is what follows "Have salt in yourselves and be at peace with each other". You're the benefit to this world, but if you're no longer salt, what good is it?

Many years ago, I met this group of older lutheran pastors. They could take this a bit further and were able to keep up an entire conversation just using bible citations (as in saying 'hey bob, Proverbs 22:45 and bob would come back with: No, no, Revelation 4:10...... and so on. All phrases completely out of context but if strung together they would make up an exchange).

(Something I also didn't know - while salt was very valuable then - our word "salary" comes from the Roman word for salt - it wasn't always very *pure*. Salt could easily leach out of the mass and be - well, basically dirt. Kind of useless.)

Yeah, salt was not some lily-white crystalline substance. You can still get the kind of salt jesus references at african food stores. It is derived by evaporating sea water in shallow lagoons and and consists of reddish brown crumbling rocks that you have to grind down using mortar and pestil.

The Bible does NOT mean whatever people want it to mean, but people have always distorted it to mean what THEY want it to mean. It even says this, itself - that there are parts that are hard to understand, which "ignorant and unstable people distort". Hence, the myriad of heretical groups that sprang up in the first few centuries, saying all kinds of idiotic crap.

Yeah, I don't advocate stoning my boy for not getting off his x-box. Certainly all the old testament stuff has to be interpreted in the context of old testament life.