Ocean's 8 Poor Reviews - Too Many Whites on Rotten Tomatoes

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Last week, the all-female "Ocean's 8' debuted to mixed reviews and a fairly solid opening weekend at the box office, coming in at number 1 ($41 million) with a 68% on Rotten Tomatoes.

So why the blah reviews? According to the critics, the all-female cast actually did a fine job in replacing the all-male cast for "Ocean's 11" and agreed the film had its charming moments. Most were in agreement, however, that the film failed in the heist portion of the script, saying it lacked originality and cleverness. In sum, the all-female cast was the least of the complaints.

Despite that glaring truth, "Ocean's 8" cast member Mindy Kaling blames the film's failure to wow critics on the overabundance of, yep, white males.

Speaking with Yahoo, Kaling said she agreed with Meryl Streep that Rotten Tomatoes allows too many white male opinions to poison the review pool.

Mindy Kaling Blames ‘Ocean’s 8’ Mixed Reviews On ‘White Male Critics’

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Brie Larson Wants Fewer ‘White Dudes’ Reviewing Movies

"Female and underrepresented critics can’t review what they don’t see, and many are denied accreditation or access to press screenings," she said. "So, if you are in this room, or if you know someone who is a gatekeeper, please make sure that these invites and credentials find their way to more underrepresented journalists and critics, many of whom are freelancers."

Larson said she does not "hate white dudes" but wants a more diverse audience. Again, this is the age-old leftist axiom that judges people by the color of their skin, not the quality of their work.

"Am I saying that I hate white dudes? No, I’m not," she said. "But what I am saying is if you make a movie that is a love letter to a woman of color, there is an insanely low chance that a woman of color will have a chance to see your movie and review your movie. ... It really sucks that reviews matter, but reviews matter."

BOP

Last week, the all-female "Ocean's 8' debuted to mixed reviews and a fairly solid opening weekend at the box office, coming in at number 1 ($41 million) with a 68% on Rotten Tomatoes.

So why the blah reviews? According to the critics, the all-female cast actually did a fine job in replacing the all-male cast for "Ocean's 11" and agreed the film had its charming moments. Most were in agreement, however, that the film failed in the heist portion of the script, saying it lacked originality and cleverness. In sum, the all-female cast was the least of the complaints.

Despite that glaring truth, "Ocean's 8" cast member Mindy Kaling blames the film's failure to wow critics on the overabundance of, yep, white males.

Speaking with Yahoo, Kaling said she agreed with Meryl Streep that Rotten Tomatoes allows too many white male opinions to poison the review pool.

Mindy Kaling Blames ‘Ocean’s 8’ Mixed Reviews On ‘White Male Critics’

The stupid...it burns!