2 Samuel 19 Joab told David off!

seekeroftruth

2 Samuel 19:1 [a]Joab was told, “The king is weeping and mourning for Absalom.” 2 And for the whole army the victory that day was turned into mourning, because on that day the troops heard it said, “The king is grieving for his son.” 3 The men stole into the city that day as men steal in who are ashamed when they flee from battle. 4 The king covered his face and cried aloud, “O my son Absalom! O Absalom, my son, my son!”

5 Then Joab went into the house to the king and said, “Today you have humiliated all your men, who have just saved your life and the lives of your sons and daughters and the lives of your wives and concubines. 6 You love those who hate you and hate those who love you. You have made it clear today that the commanders and their men mean nothing to you. I see that you would be pleased if Absalom were alive today and all of us were dead. 7 Now go out and encourage your men. I swear by the Lord that if you don’t go out, not a man will be left with you by nightfall. This will be worse for you than all the calamities that have come on you from your youth till now.”

8 So the king got up and took his seat in the gateway. When the men were told, “The king is sitting in the gateway,” they all came before him.

Meanwhile, the Israelites had fled to their homes.​

a. 2 Samuel 19:1 In Hebrew texts 19:1-43 is numbered 19:2-44

Sometimes, I guess, even the king needs to get his head screwed back on straight.

This is from Bibletrack.org.

Absalom met his death hanging from a tree in II Samuel 18. Now David has gotten word that Absalom is dead. He resides at Mahanaim, east of the Jordan, where he had established his headquarters during his exile from Jerusalem. The troops have returned from battle only to hear David crying out for his son Absalom. Joab decides it's time to straighten David out on this; after all, he's crying for the son who tried to kill him and take over. What about all the men who risked their lives to save David from his renegade son? "Come on David! Snap out of it!" Joab admonishes. Nobody talked to David like Joab; notice the words of Joab to David in verse 6, "...for this day I perceive, that if Absalom had lived, and all we had died this day, then it had pleased thee well." Taking Joab's advice, David cleans himself up and takes his seat at the gate of the city to show his appreciation for all that the troops had done for him.

:coffee:

littlelady

God bless the USA
Hey, Becky! You don’t often post scripture, and comment more than once a day, unless replied to. I see what you are saying here. I always read your daily Bible posts, just like I still get Railroads daily Bible emails. Do you want to be added to his email list, or are you already on it? :huggy:

seekeroftruth

Every now and then I just need something to do. So a couple times recently, I have gone to my room and posted a Bible Verse. I'm surprised anyone is still reading after all this time.... lol

littlelady

God bless the USA
Every now and then I just need something to do. So a couple times recently, I have gone to my room and posted a Bible Verse. I'm surprised anyone is still reading after all this time.... lol

Have you ever noticed how many views you get every day? It is a good thing. Keep on postin’. :huggy:

Last edited: