Camel crickets

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I seem to have a bit of an invasion and am looking for a way to get rid of them. I have been capturing them using a cup then releasing them outside but am not always successful in the capturing part as these bastages are quick and have quite the jump. :yikes:

Any tips on getting rid of them? Maybe sticky traps?

black dog

Free America
I use duct tape, take strips of it 2' - 3' long and lay it upside down on the floor where you don't walk. Cheap and easy.

Put some non-toxic bug killer down around the entrances, door jambs windows.... If you try to catch them in the house, you'll be there forever. There are a few good non-toxic sprays you can use in the house. Bayer Safer comes to mind.

I've used sticky traps with eh success.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Stop being humane and kill them. They're like illegal immigrants: "catch and release" just keeps them coming back. You have to get serious so they get the message.

Dry up any damp areas - remember my scary crawlspace at the house? You should have seen the camel crickets in that thing. :shudder: Then lay down borax in the cracks and corners, which you can get at Lowe's in the roach killer section.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I use duct tape, take strips of it 2' - 3' long and lay it upside down on the floor where you don't walk. Cheap and easy.

:yay: They seem to be coming from the closet underneath the stairs that also houses the hot water heater, so no foot traffic. I always have a roll of duct tape around.

Put some non-toxic bug killer down around the entrances, door jambs windows.... If you try to catch them in the house, you'll be there forever. There are a few good non-toxic sprays you can use in the house. Bayer Safer comes to mind.

I've used sticky traps with eh success.

Thanks and a trip to Lowe's seems to be in order.

I'm pretty sure Tarantulas will eat them.

:bonk: NOT HELPING! :mad:

Stop being humane and kill them. They're like illegal immigrants: "catch and release" just keeps them coming back. You have to get serious so they get the message.

Dry up any damp areas - remember my scary crawlspace at the house? You should have seen the camel crickets in that thing. :shudder: Then lay down borax in the cracks and corners, which you can get at Lowe's in the roach killer section.

KILL THE FOREIGNERS! :roflmao: There don't seem to be any damp areas but see my comment above. The hot water heater seems to be their mothership. :lol: There is an attached shed to the back of the townhouse and when I opened the door yesterday, it sounded like popcorn popping as they pinged around. :jameo:

I hate to squish bugs and is probably the one thing I am squeamish about. :blushing: But I think between duct tape, sprinkling Borax around, and a Safer bug spray, I should be able to get rid of them.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The hot water heater seems to be their mothership.

Check and make sure it's not leaking.

When something would go wrong at the house, I'd cry and either Pete or Belvak's husband or DoWhat or Italian Scallion would come fix it for me. Try that.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
What is a camel cricket?

camelback-cricket-2.jpg

Camel crickets get their common name from their humpbacked appearance, which is similar to that of a camel. They are widespread in the United States and in the world. Camel crickets do not possess sound producing organs, and therefore do not chirp. Additionally, the adults do not have wings, unlike other cricket species. Camel crickets leap when they are frightened since it's the only defense mechanism they have to scare off predators.

https://www.pestworld.org/pest-guide/occasional-invaders/camel-crickets/

They like the warmth of the heater. I had a hot tub outside and they infested the heater and pump area. If it happens to be damp, all the better for them.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Check and make sure it's not leaking.

When something would go wrong at the house, I'd cry and either Pete or Belvak's husband or DoWhat or Italian Scallion would come fix it for me. Try that.

I will check to see if the HWH is leaking and maybe put some DampRid cups in there for good measure. And I am not good at whining but a jumping creepy bug infestation may tip me over in that direction. :twitch: :lol:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
They like the warmth of the heater. I had a hot tub outside and they infested the heater and pump area. If it happens to be damp, all the better for them.

I figured it was a combination of dark, warm, and damp that was the attraction. The attached shed also has those factors and I swear they commute between the two.

Chris0nllyn

Go to your local feed and tack store and get Bifen. It looks like milk but mix it in a pump sprayer and spray the perimeter of your house and outbuildings, around windows, etc..

It works and it's amazing but it's not water soluable so be careful if you live around a body of water.

black dog

Free America
Go to your local feed and tack store and get Bifen. It looks like milk but mix it in a pump sprayer and spray the perimeter of your house and outbuildings, around windows, etc..

It works and it's amazing but it's not water soluable so be careful if you live around a body of water.

If I was going to use Biden I would use the crystals instead, that way you are not dealing with a sprayer and mixing chemicals, just shake shake shake and it's done.
You can use either Bifen LP Granules or Talstar PL Granules.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
:shudder: these little mutants are just awful, mostly bc they're so damn creepy. I'd never heard of them until I lived in an older farm house for a year in Park Hall. I called them spider crickets until I finally summoned the courage to google them :faint: They kept my cat fairly amused, I mostly would just find halves of their bodies thruout the house. He managed to keep them at bay enough I never bothered spraying, but I also didn't live there very long.

:frown: now I have that creepy-crawly feeling

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
:shudder: these little mutants are just awful, mostly bc they're so damn creepy. I'd never heard of them until I lived in an older farm house for a year in Park Hall. I called them spider crickets until I finally summoned the courage to google them :faint: They kept my cat fairly amused, I mostly would just find halves of their bodies thruout the house. He managed to keep them at bay enough I never bothered spraying, but I also didn't live there very long.

:frown: now I have that creepy-crawly feeling

I have heard them called "sprickets" as in a spider-cricket mutant. :lol:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member

If I was going to use Biden I would use the crystals instead, that way you are not dealing with a sprayer and mixing chemicals, just shake shake shake and it's done. You can use either Bifen LP Granules or Talstar PL Granules.

I read up on the stuff and am not crazy about using something that potentially toxic. It is a townhouse and one next door neighbor has two dogs, plus there are tons of kids in the neighborhood. And it is far from the water so at least that is not a concern.

And also just having a good chuckle at BD's unintended funny. :lol:

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I have heard them called "sprickets" as in a spider-cricket mutant. :lol:

at first I was only finding the back halves of these things :lol: apparenty the cat enjoyed the heads. For the first month or so living there I'd come across these cricket legs attached to...MORE legs and think, "WHAT FRESH HELL HAVE I MOVED IN TO" :lmao: