5 Year Old Art Critic

mAlice

professional daydreamer
A Kansas 5-year-old was attending a wedding at a local community center with his family last month when he saw the "Aphrodite di Kansas City," a minimalist sculpture of a woman's upper body, and decided to give it a hug. Within moments, boy and statue alike were on the ground.

Several days later, the boy's mom got a letter from the insurance company of the city of Overland Park, which runs the community center, asking for $132,000 in damages. "It's clear accidents happen, and this was an accident," said the mother, Sarah Goodman. "I don't want to diminish the value of their art. But I can't pay for that."

http://theweek.com/speedreads/77954...nity-center-statue-city-billed-parents-132000

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Guess she's gonna need a payment plan.

It would have been better for all if she had learned to control her spawn.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Guess she's gonna need a payment plan.

It would have been better for all if she had learned to control her spawn.

She goes on to say
Our kids were well-supervised and well-behaved
. Yeah, that's why you couldn't see him from where you were sitting and surfing your phone.

The community center has said they will not request the family to pay for it, they are taking it up with the insurance company.

It was pretty dumb of them to have such a valuable item on such a precarious perch in a place where children abound.

Last edited:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
The portion of the video shown doesn't show any of the adults getting up to see if the kid is okay. That leads me to believe that his mother wasn't anywhere nearby when it happened.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
The community center has said they will not request the family to pay for it, they are taking it up with the insurance company.

It was pretty dumb of them to have such a valuable item on such a precarious perch in a place where children abound.

That is why it says in the OP "the boy's mom got a letter from the insurance company of the city of Overland Park, which runs the community center, asking for $132,000 in damages." The insurance company wants the money. Maybe Mom should sue the community center for the emotional distress of her spawn almost being squished by the unsecured statue. I suggest asking for $132,000 plus legal fees.

The portion of the video shown doesn't show any of the adults getting up to see if the kid is okay. That leads me to believe that his mother wasn't anywhere nearby when it happened.

That video was edited, but in the one I saw, the kid and the statue were on the ground for almost 15 seconds before the woman sitting facing right got up, wandered over, looked, and walked away.

mAlice

professional daydreamer

I saw a video that showed one of the women getting up after it happened. From where she was, she couldn't see what her kids was doing. Even if she could have seen him, it looked like she was surfing something on her phone, or reading something, assuming it was his mother. You may be right, she may not have even been in the same room, and somebody else responded to make sure her kid was okay.

Reign in your spawn, mommies.

That is why it says in the OP "the boy's mom got a letter from the insurance company of the city of Overland Park, which runs the community center, asking for $132,000 in damages." The insurance company wants the money. Maybe Mom should sue the community center for the emotional distress of her spawn almost being squished by the unsecured statue. I suggest asking for $132,000 plus legal fees.

No need to get testy. In the news article on tv, they interviewed a representative from the center, and he said he is asking that the insurance companies (both theirs and hers) work it out so she and her family do not have to pay that bill.

mAlice

professional daydreamer

If the insurance company is going after her, she better get a good attorney.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
That video was edited, but in the one I saw, the kid and the statue were on the ground for almost 15 seconds before the woman sitting facing right got up, wandered over, looked, and walked away.
Yes it was edited, that is why I answered the way I did. ;-)
I saw a video that showed one of the women getting up after it happened. From where she was, she couldn't see what her kids was doing. Even if she could have seen him, it looked like she was surfing something on her phone, or reading something, assuming it was his mother. You may be right, she may not have even been in the same room, and somebody else responded to make sure her kid was okay.

Reign in your spawn, mommies.
:yay:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
No need to get testy. In the news article on tv, they interviewed a representative from the center, and he said he is asking that the insurance companies (both theirs and hers) work it out so she and her family do not have to pay that bill.
Wasn't being testy, just making sure you saw it, I know you be old. And what the center is saying is snark speak for the center's insurance company will be going after her. BTW what insurance do you think the mother has that would cover this situation?

luvmygdaughters

This is what happens when your little angel isnt taught to respect things that do not belong to them. I understand the kid may have wanted a hug, but, didnt mommy or daddy ever tell the kid to ask before touching something that isnt yours?