Trump Orders New Branch of Service 'Space Force’ to Dominate Galaxy

Misfit

Lawful neutral
http://time.com/5314994/donald-trump-pentagon-space-force/

President Donald Trump called for a new “Space Force” to be added to the U.S. military as an armed service separate from the Pentagon’s five traditional uniformed branches.

“When it comes to defending America, it is not enough to merely have an American presence in space,” Trump said Monday at a White House event on space policy. “We must have American dominance in space.”

Trump has been considering creation of a Space Force for months over resistance from the Air Force, which currently oversees military space programs. He announced his support for the idea at a White House meeting of the National Space Council as the administration presented a directive for setting a goal for a new moon landing within 10 years.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Cool. Might finally get to wear my "Space Shuttle Door Gunner" patch without feeling silly about it. I trained hard to get it.

door gunner.jpg

Last edited:

SamSpade

You know - at first blush this sounds kooky, but the premise is sensible. In fact, I also think we need to seriously up our game in defense against cyber attacks.

Now I can't get the "Space Ghost" theme out of my head.

glhs837

Power with Control
Of course we've had the Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command for many years....

Yep, was talking about this with a co-worker today, he mentioned that there are "treatys" prohibiting weapons in space. I asked him if he truly thought the Chinese and the Russians would ever remotley abide by those...... he admitted that of course they wouldnt. Being the only guy alone at the bottom of the gravity well blows. The only thing that sucks worse than space war is not being able to conduct if you need to. Sorta like global thermonuclear war that way.

One thing that making it it's own Force does is allow it to make it's own tradtitons and pick it's operating modes as needed. Manned vessels, I think, would follow a sort of Navy shipboard mode with stationary bases operting more like an Air Force base. So you have SFB Lagrange 4, but the USF Enterprise as a vesel that moves things from there to SFB Cabeus at the Moons south polar region.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm a huge fan of space exploration and usage. The politicians who don't want to fund it and insist we stay right here on Earth are like the folks who laughed at Christopher Columbus and Ferdinand Magellan. It does make me laugh when some durhard frets about "screwing up outer space like we screwed up our planet". :lol: People whose vision is so narrow and confined....

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I'm a huge fan of space exploration and usage. The politicians who don't want to fund it and insist we stay right here on Earth are like the folks who laughed at Christopher Columbus and Ferdinand Magellan. It does make me laugh when some durhard frets about "screwing up outer space like we screwed up our planet". :lol: People whose vision is so narrow and confined....

flat earth.png

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The peculiar thing about SDI was, it scared the Russians enough to start talking peace.

I heard this in 1992ish

Reagan once elected was told 'out spend them' The Russians do not have the economy to keep up

sure SDI was part of this .... some of the best propaganda money spent

Rommey

SO if this becomes a true service, and eventually starting their own academy, will they be known as space cadets?

SamSpade

I heard this in 1992ish

Reagan once elected was told 'out spend them' The Russians do not have the economy to keep up

sure SDI was part of this .... some of the best propaganda money spent

Also made efforts to devalue gold and lower the value of other Soviet commodities. We bankrupted them.